Positive cologuard test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Positive cologuard test

After everything that's happened to me over the last couple years, I now have a positive cologuard test. I've had to run a bad luck. I have a colonoscopy set, but man do I hate the prep work. I got the pills this time instead of having to drink that stuff, but I still have to drink a lot of water, more than I usually can handle. I'm not too old so if there is something there hopefully they can just cut it out doing the colonoscopy. I wish they could do it right now, I'm all cleaned out because of some antibiotics.
    Brought to you by: atrophied&twitch

A friend of mine recently had the positive but then his colonoscopy was fine. Certainly it’s a pain in the @$$ nonetheless! Good luck!

Comment

So have you followed up with your primary care provider about moving forward with the colonoscopy?
      When was your last colonoscopy? Are you at risk for colon cancer or polyps?
      Agreed, the colonoscopy prep takes an entire day prior to the procedure to focus on to get prepped appropriately.
      If possible get support from a friend or family member to complete the prep and transportation to and from.

SCI-Nursepbr
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

If they find polyps most can be removed during the colonoscopy or a biopsy taken in the few that appear to be going from pre-cancerous to cancerous. Colon cancer runs in my Dad's family and just as I was going to be moved from every 5 year to the more do it again in 10 years my Mom fainted at home and was found to have terminal colon cancer. I am back to every 5 years again. I had all mine done at regular hospitals through 2012 and my PCPs have never had problems getting a 23 hour stay approved for prep immediately before my colonoscopy by Medicare. With the VA they add it to your every 5th or 10th annual exam. I have found it best just to get them as needed because polyps can be seen, snipped or clipped (for ones that want to bleed, but the small metal band is removed by nature as the bleeding end is deprived of oxygenated blood ust as small marbles and paste is for little boys). A positive Cologuard gives you both a case of nerves and a full regular colonoscopy to look for what set the positive reading off.
        Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

• Sheri
          Sheri commented
          Editing a comment
          Man, that’s heartbreaking about your mom! It was missed during her colonoscopy? My grandmother died of it, having been diagnosed as “nervous” rather than tested.

I lost a dear friend from colon cancer recently. Diagnosed at age 38, so had not had a previous colonoscopy. He fought hard; went into remission twice, but finally at age 43 it killed him. I have a family history too, so I am faithful about getting mine every 5 years.

(KLD)
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregsw View Post
          ... man do I hate the prep work.
          After a couple of scopes with bad experience drinking the nastiness, the last 4 I've had the clean with a colonic irrigation. Doc reported each time it was successful. Talk to your gastro guy about whether he accepts it as prep.

Comment

My colonoscopy got canceled. About 20 minutes before I was to start the prep work, they called the cancel it. The last two times I had anesthesia, I had really bad lung issues and had to be put on a respirator for a couple weeks. So they were too worried about it this time. They want me to be admitted first and do it inpatient. I'm trying to see if I can do it without anesthesia. One doctor passed because I had a colostomy and they thought a colonoscopy should check below and above the colostomy. And that doctor had never done it. This last time he said it was an insurance issue, but not sure I believe him. So it's off to find another doctor. My breathing issues are getting so bad. I still have to wear a ventilator at night. And during the day I sometimes have to put it on cuz my breathing is so labored. My oxygenation is fine 96 to 97. But I just struggle to breathe. It was lung blood clots at first. But that got cleared up. I know my posture is bad and my spine curves so I'm thinking maybe it's position. 40 years post is a long time in a chair. I'd hate to get those metal bars in my back to straighten it, I've heard nothing but bad problems with that. I know this hot weather has a lot to do with it now. I used to love being out in the heat, but now I think it's just too hard on my lungs. I know my CO2 is sometimes High, that was the original diagnosis of why I labored to breathe. It took 6 months to find the blood clots in my lungs. I mean it's not as bad as it was, but man it's just no fun when you feel like you can't breathe. I don't put off the colonoscopy, I know it's fairly slow, but an extra few weeks shouldn't hurt.
            Brought to you by: atrophied&twitch

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
              SCI-Nurse commented
              Editing a comment
              Instead of doing conscious sedation (also called moderate sedation) with you they may want to consider a general, but conscious sedation done by an anesthesiologist (rather than a nurse or the colorectal surgeon) may be safer for you, as they can use different drugs. You could meet with the anesthesiologist prior to the procedure to discuss your concerns and develop a plan that works for both of you. (KLD)
          Working...
          X