X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scientists reverse paralysis in mice, seek human trials

https://www.yahoo.com/news/scientist...183451672.html

Thu, November 11, 2021, 12:34 PM
    (SOUNDBITE) (English) SAMUEL I. STUPP, NORTHWESTERN UNIVERSITY, SAYING: "Spinal cord injury has been a major challenge for science for decades.”

Scientists at Northwestern University say they may have found a breakthrough treatment for reversing paralysis in humans after successfully administering a new injectable therapy in mice.

“The central nervous system, which includes the brain and the spinal cord, which sends messages between your brain and the rest of your body, has very limited capacity to repair after injury.”

In a new study, the team describes an injection of “dancing molecules” to reverse paralysis in mice and repair tissues after severe spinal cord injuries.

Just four weeks after the injection, the injured animals regained the ability to walk.

Samuel I. Stupp leads the research.

"This is probably the most important paper I have ever written. And it describes a piece of science that was truly unknown."

The new breakthrough therapeutic is injected as a liquid directly into the spine.

It influences the motion of molecules, in effect, making them ‘dance’, so they can more easily engage with constantly moving cellular receptors.

"When molecules did not move or move very little, then the response we observed in the animals was just the slight twitching of the limbs. But no ability to walk. When we use the exact same therapy, the exact same signals, but we molecularly change the structures so that the molecules would move more. Now we saw full ability of the animals to walk."

The therapy immediately gels into a complex network of nanofibers that mimic the extracellular matrix of the spinal cord.

“One way to think about this is that if the molecules are dancing around or leaping out of the fibers, the probability that they will meet up with the receptors is increased. We recognize this as a new concept that has never been done and had remarkable success in improving the recovery after spinal cord injury."

Published in the journal Science, the Northwestern team claims this is the first study in which researchers controlled the collective motion of molecules through changes in the chemical structure.

Stupp said they now want to push for human trials, by-passing large animal testing.

"We are definitely headed for the FDA to seek approval for use of our novel therapy in clinical trials, and we are very excited about this possibility that will make a huge difference to patients."

According to the National Spinal Cord Injury Statistical Center, nearly 300,000 people in the U.S. are currently living with a spinal cord injury.

"I'm manic as hell-
    But I'm goin' strong-
    Left my meds on the sink again-
    My head will be racing by lunchtime"

<----Scott Weiland---->

Wish I was a Mouse

Comment

You beat me to it I was just going to post this as I read this morning. I love reading all research with the human body as it is truly amazing but good to see especially when it comes to developments towards helping us that have SCI damage. Yes I know it is mice but it helps our understanding and builds knowledge.

Comment

anyone have a link to the actual scientific paper?
        "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
        Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
          SCI-Nurse commented
          Editing a comment
          Here is the abstract. Access to the article is requires a fee:
          https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.abh3602

I wonder if wildwilly can get a copy for you?

(KLD)

• whatisthislife
          whatisthislife commented
          Editing a comment
          i'd also like a copy too. they didnt mention BBB scores in the supplementary pdf but the article did mention 'rats that were treated walked almost normal'

• niallel
          niallel commented
          Editing a comment
          The paper is almost 100% a discussion of the molecules and the interaction in different cases. There is maybe a couple of lines about the recovery, none of it interesting - it basically says the treated group showed significant recovery over the sham group.

Acute vs. Chronic potential is something I am unclear on ...potential chronic treatment but the initial indication is acutes?

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Comment

logged in to post this article but theres already this thread. omfg. is it finally here? 😮

when human trials start and i hear people are walking, i might....no....i will..... break down and cry.

Comment

Acute vs Chronic is one thing to consider, but so is Upper Motor vs Lower Motor neuron injury. I was under the impression that the current research only really addresses Upper Motor injuries, with LMN (~T8 or lower?) presenting another layer of complexity that is not yet accounted for with any of this. Is this correct?
            "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
              SCI-Nurse commented
              Editing a comment
              Oddity, most people with SCI have injury to both upper and lower motor neurons. Don't confuse this with a upper or lower motor neuron neurogenic bladder. A motor unit is made up of the UMN, LMN, and the target muscle. See diagram below. (KLD)
              Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 13 Nov 2021, 4:31 PM.

• Oddity
              Oddity commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you. I don't know if I am doing that, because I know frightfully little about it, frankly! I seem to remember Wise posting some info ages ago about his focus on LMN, and how much of the research in "regrowing" cerebrospinal tissues (corticospinal, reticulospinal, or rubrospinal neurons, or upper sensory neurons going up to the brain etc) doesn't address the motor neurons projecting from the spinal cord itself, (what I was thinking were the LMN), and that's what lots of people with SCI have.

But, really, I don't know. My memory isn't great on this stuff.

Originally posted by Oddity View Post
            Acute vs Chronic is one thing to consider, but so is Upper Motor vs Lower Motor neuron injury. I was under the impression that the current research only really addresses Upper Motor injuries, with LMN (~T8 or lower?) presenting another layer of complexity that is not yet accounted for with any of this. Is this correct?
            yes all this must be addressed

Comment

Most people with SCI have damage to both upper motor neurons (axons extending through the cord from it's nucleus in the motor strip of the brain to a LMN in the cord) and to lower motor neurons (axons extending from their motor nucleus in the gray matter of the cord to the muscle) at the site of their injury. (KLD)Click image for larger version  Name:	Pictographic-representation-of-UMN-and-LMN-system.jpg Views:	0 Size:	85.7 KB ID:	2914914
              The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

C-5, 6 SCI. Took about 6 months to walk. Walking full time. Without any assistance since Nov. 2003 and will make a full recovery

Comment

• C5QuadGuy
                  C5QuadGuy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  fyi - Link is broken for me...

• lunasicc42
                  lunasicc42 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  yes ...link broken ...what was it?

https://youtu.be/eZCFb4k_1iw
                C-5, 6 SCI. Took about 6 months to walk. Walking full time. Without any assistance since Nov. 2003 and will make a full recovery

Comment

FYI - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz-Ju5PNblQ

Comment

Originally posted by C5QuadGuy View Post
                    Looks like acutes first....

Comment

Originally posted by C5QuadGuy View Post

Looks like acutes first....
                      how Suprisingly unsuprising

Comment

Originally posted by mj23 View Post
                        FINALLY. someone shows real results. first time ever even seeing paralyzed and recoved mice.

the mouse is kind of walking funny but with some PT I could see it (wait do mice get PT? lol)

yo i think we have something here guys. says he's going to skip primates and go straight to humans by next summer. peer reviews already sent in. holy shit. this is what im talkin about. hell yea.

Comment

• Mitchitsu
                          Mitchitsu commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Haha. Well it can walk pretty well so it'll be doing its own physical therapy every time it's moving around 😂
                      Working...
                      X