Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will rods in my back disqualify me for a cure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will rods in my back disqualify me for a cure?

I am a C5-C6 quad. My car accident was 17 years ago when I was 16. I developed really bad scoliosis after my accident because I had a growth spurt and my trunk muscles were paralyzed so they couldn't support my spine. I saw a doctor once about having surgery I'm getting rods put in my back to correct my scoliosis but I'm decided not to do it. After 17 years the scoliosis has gotten worse and it is so uncomfortable. I'm thinking of getting the surgery but I am worried that if I have bars put in my back that I will not be able to get some type of therapy to help me walk again in the future. For instance, what if they wanted to put stem cells into my spine, but they can't because the bars are blocking them from doing so. Or what if I want to get epidural stimulation to learn how to walk again, but they can't put the epidural stimulation on my spine because the bars are in the way. Is it possible that something like that could happen or am I worrying over nothing?

I'm also a C6 Quad and I had my injury when I was 11 so I developed scoliosis during my growth spurt. My scoliosis has changed a bit throughout the years, but thankfully mine has stayed pretty stabled. I also do stretch my back everyday and have a custom mold that keeps me straight while I'm on my wheelchair.

So far I have only been denied from participating in 1 research study because of it and that was the epidural stimulation study from Louisville. They did it as a precaution.

How bad is your scoliosis?

Comment

Where are the rods going to be placed? If they are in the thoracic area they shouldn't interfere with a lumbar puncture. I have rods T1 to T12 and have had lumbar punctures in the past.

A big issue I see is rods distort/ruin MRIs. I'm not sure if a person will get accepted in a clinical trail if the researchers can not do an MRI.

Comment

Originally posted by Miykael View Post
        I am a C5-C6 quad. My car accident was 17 years ago when I was 16. I developed really bad scoliosis after my accident because I had a growth spurt and my trunk muscles were paralyzed so they couldn't support my spine. I saw a doctor once about having surgery I'm getting rods put in my back to correct my scoliosis but I'm decided not to do it. After 17 years the scoliosis has gotten worse and it is so uncomfortable. I'm thinking of getting the surgery but I am worried that if I have bars put in my back that I will not be able to get some type of therapy to help me walk again in the future. For instance, what if they wanted to put stem cells into my spine, but they can't because the bars are blocking them from doing so. Or what if I want to get epidural stimulation to learn how to walk again, but they can't put the epidural stimulation on my spine because the bars are in the way. Is it possible that something like that could happen or am I worrying over nothing?
        In my opinion, you are worrying over nothing. There is no cure right now. So you need to live your life and do what's best for you right now. Again, in my opinion. Also, even if the rods disqualify you from a clinical study, once the treatment or therapy is approved, it'll likely be okay or they can remove the rods.

Comment

Working...
        X