mRNA technology used in COVID vaccines now being tested for SCI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mRNA technology used in COVID vaccines now being tested for SCI

mRNA technology used in COVID vaccines now being tested to treat cancer, autoimmune diseases

https://www.channel3000.com/mrna-tec...mune-diseases/

"Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

"Recently, Murphy and his team tested how well it would work to fix a spinal cord injury in a rat that could not use its hind legs. After using an mRNA delivery method into the rats spinal cord cells, the rat was able to walk again."

Imagine that. You could pump used motor oil into the rat and it would walk again.

Comment

😂

. .

Originally posted by Barrington314mx View Post
      "Recently, Murphy and his team tested how well it would work to fix a spinal cord injury in a rat that could not use its hind legs. After using an mRNA delivery method into the rats spinal cord cells, the rat was able to walk again."

Imagine that. You could pump used motor oil into the rat and it would walk again.

Comment

I understand the reason for skepticism. I'm sure everyone with any unsolved condition feels the same way from cancer to Alzheimer's to MS to Parkinson's to blindness and on and on and on...

However would you rather them not try new things and new research techniques and not publish the results???

Eventually within our lifetime or beyond our lifetimes, there will be a cure. And it will be thanks to people doing this type of research.

Just my humble opinion

Comment

Im with you, rats are bad as models for SCI, but IMHO this mRNA approach is different. You are not throwing cells at your spinal cord and praying they do something, is more like programing your body to heal itself. Imagine if they can target some specific cells of gliar scar so our inmune systems can clean them.
          Last edited by LethalSpoon; 20 Jun 2021, 8:44 AM.
          HOC NON PEREO HABEBO FORTIOR ME

Comment

Wouldn’t it be ironic if the pandemic helped us? I was kinda bummed to see all research do an abrupt pivot last year but there’s definitely some cool stuff going on with mRNA now.

Comment

• NorthQuad
              NorthQuad commented
              Editing a comment
              Out of all the bad, there is some good that will be achieved out of this. Medical science has learned much in a very short period from this pandemic.

Originally posted by Sheri View Post
            Wouldn’t it be ironic if the pandemic helped us? I was kinda bummed to see all research do an abrupt pivot last year but there’s definitely some cool stuff going on with mRNA now.
            Well, think about how many things improved the last century thanks to discoveries made in WWI and WWII. Sometimes humans shine in dark times.
            HOC NON PEREO HABEBO FORTIOR ME

Comment

Great NPR story today about CRISPR curing another genetic disease. CRISPR will cure loads of genetic diseases and mRNA technology has lots of potential to cure and/or vaccinate against others. Great news all around!

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...ugh-stopped-it

EVEN IF those technologies don’t help directly in regeneration, there should ultimately be less competition for research dollars and scientific brainpower as entire classes of disease become obsolete.

Comment

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301308923.html

Comment

Working...
                X