Stem Cell Research Progress at UCSD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stem Cell Research Progress at UCSD

Here is a video made on 5/30/21 with Mark Tuszynski, MD, PhD, presenting the stem cell work toward SCI cure in his lab at UC San Diego. Bob Yant is also a speaker. I was lucky to work with Dr. Tuszynski when I was still working (prior to my retirement).

A Closer Look at...Spinal Cord Injury

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Is there a way to make this a sticky anymore, KLD? I have checked what I can do and do not see it. Mark has just moved Zebrafish to the junior high school level of research.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
      SCI-Nurse commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't have a clue what you mean by that comment. (KLD)

Thank you for the link. Interesting but unfortunately not very optimistic about this specific work.

- regeneration doesn't seem to grow long enough
    - doesn't have nearly the same result on chronics - even their best results were not very fulfilling imo

Perhaps combining the work with incredible amounts of exercise / physical therapy would get a significantly better result.

For the amount of time it will take just to get them to a phase 1 human trial, it isn't very comforting.

Also I might have missed it, but I did not get the result of function returned to the original monkey with the incomplete injury to his arm/hand. How much function was returned?

Asking because perhaps incomplete injuries would benefit significantly more. But again the length of the regenerated nerves was not very optimistic.

It was an interesting video though so thank you again for posting.

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
      SCI-Nurse commented
      Editing a comment
      Not claiming this to be a cure, but it does provide valuable information for other researchers and builds on the knowledge base of those other scientists who are working towards a cure. (KLD)
Working...
X