X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Miami Project W Dalton Dietrich, PhD

W Dalton Dietrich, PhD
    https://youtu.be/1H7C-93fFbI
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

Dr. W Dalton Dietrich

I have watched your presentation dated April 2020 posted on YouTube. About midway through the presentation you bring up a series of slides addressing the need for combination therapy to address spinal cord injury.

I have been injured, living with a C4/5 Spinal cord injury since 2004. At this point, I feel like the purpose of science is not to produce a cure or even a partial cure. The purpose has become to only perpetuate science without ever really producing anything.

Your slide presentation for example brought up the need to study no go receptors, the glial scare, and the need for scaffolding. Why is there no scientific department assigned to study combining research that has already been done? Dr. Stritmatter has research in trial for nogo receptors, Dr. Silver has research in trial for the glial scar, Dr. Langer has research in trial for scaffolding. I am sure there are other examples that I wish I could list here from memory.

For those of us that have been sitting in wheelchairs for more than 15 years and are already in our 50s anything you begin to study today is absolutely no use to us. It is a pretty daunting thought when you consider that there is nothing here on earth that I can do that I want to do. Participation has been reduced to observation.

It is difficult to write this kind of a letter and still sound appreciative. We do appreciate the work. But I have to ask; who is going to combine the therapies we already have? What is preventing a combination therapy from trialed therapies we already have?
    please . . .test what you already know; and give us what you have. we may not be dying, but we certainly are not living either

Comment

Originally posted by Nicksdad View Post
      Dr. W Dalton Dietrich

I have watched your presentation dated April 2020 posted on YouTube. About midway through the presentation you bring up a series of slides addressing the need for combination therapy to address spinal cord injury.

I have been injured, living with a C4/5 Spinal cord injury since 2004. At this point, I feel like the purpose of science is not to produce a cure or even a partial cure. The purpose has become to only perpetuate science without ever really producing anything.

Your slide presentation for example brought up the need to study no go receptors, the glial scare, and the need for scaffolding. Why is there no scientific department assigned to study combining research that has already been done? Dr. Stritmatter has research in trial for nogo receptors, Dr. Silver has research in trial for the glial scar, Dr. Langer has research in trial for scaffolding. I am sure there are other examples that I wish I could list here from memory.

For those of us that have been sitting in wheelchairs for more than 15 years and are already in our 50s anything you begin to study today is absolutely no use to us. It is a pretty daunting thought when you consider that there is nothing here on earth that I can do that I want to do. Participation has been reduced to observation.

It is difficult to write this kind of a letter and still sound appreciative. We do appreciate the work. But I have to ask; who is going to combine the therapies we already have? What is preventing a combination therapy from trialed therapies we already have?
      did you also send this letter elsewhere? Where?
      "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
      Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Comment

I only sent the letter to Dr. Dietrich. I did receive a reply from his office, pretty quickly. I have not yet responded to his reply. The letter is available for public use, just copy and paste it if you can think of somebody else and you feel the same way.
        please . . .test what you already know; and give us what you have. we may not be dying, but we certainly are not living either

Comment

do you mind sharing his offices' reply? Was it Encouraging? such a prominent sci research places near silence on research confounds me
          "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
          Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Comment

Encouraging for those not yet injured.

My response to their reply:
            Hello, good evening.
            I appreciate your response. I have the utmost respect for the scientific community trying to figure this out. But my question is less about where research is heading and more about what can be done now. You know .. . . . the what-if. What if you have until the second Tuesday of next month to provide your answer. Knowing the need for a combination of therapies, having at your disposal RenetX, NervGen, Axonis, Invivo, NeuroRecovery Technologies, your own research, and research in approved clinical trials what is the best possible combination of therapies? Now grab a pig, a monkey, or a hippopotamus give it an equivalent C6 spinal cord injury and test it. If the answer is “doesn’t work” at least everyone will know that there’s still a missing ingredient. If it works at all, the right to try should apply.

When we listen to a presentation by Dr Toselli at Invivo we hear him describe the scaffold as a “part of a therapy”. A presentation by Dr. Dietrich explains the scientific community believes there is a need for a combination-approach. These are recent examples I can think of; but, those vague statements just create despair. No one is creating a plan to test what we have. The SCI community hears what sounds like Charle Brown’s teacher while researchers are describing what is coming in the next five years. What we want is an aggressive game plan; while continuing the research, combine and test what exists now.

Comment

Working...
            X