Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UC Davis Engineers get $36mil to improve SCI recovery

https://www.ucdavis.edu/news/uc-davi...-cord-injuries

I dunno if this has any traction here already. I just came across it.

Karen Moxon, professor of biomedical engineering at UC Davis, will lead the five-year, $36 million contract as part of the Defense Advanced Research Project Agency, or DARPA, Bridging the Gap Plus Program. A primary goal is to developtechnologies to stabilize a patient’s hemodynamic response, which includes blood flow and blood pressure, within days of injury.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

It's great. It is combining a few methods that we have been seen them here for many years. Edgerton's and Courtine's methods.

Comment

https://www.med.ubc.ca/news/spinal-c...ves-48m-grant/

Comment

Is it relevant to anyone with an SCI reading the news today?

Comment

What is the point of that question? Despite the fact that their research includes other therapies for chronic injuries (have you read their articles?!), there are ~20-50,000 new injuries every year, world wide, nearly ~20k in the US alone, happening to people who read the news everyday. Of course it's relevant.
          "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Of course it's a relevant question. If you already have an SCI then what they are working on is not relevant to us.

Unless there is chronic work in there? Is there?

Comment

I'm not gonna read it to you. There are plenty of resources out there describing what these folks at these institutions have been, and are, working on.

(Regardless, we get new members on a daily basis. Plenty of acute folks browse here too. If it's not relevant to you, after you've read it, and understand it, then just move on, knowing it matters to someone, and is important.)

Comment

I think you are missing the point.
                Anyone who is acute who is reading this today - well its not relevant to them.
                That is not my point.

My point is that what is the chronic part of this? I know a number of the people mentioned in the article(s) have been working on chronic, but this grant is very much about acute.
                There is one throw away line in all the articles about chronic, but zero detail.
                Does anyone know the detail? That's it, not looking to get into an argument.

Comment

I see. If the point of your question was 'Does anyone have any more detail about this grant and what aspects of it are going toward focusing on chronic injuries?', then I definitely misunderstood that out of 'Is it relevant to anyone with an SCI reading the news today?' (Since the words of those 2 questions are completely different, their meaning was not obviously the same to me. My bad.)

Comment

Working...
                  X