someone wish to take issue with this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

someone wish to take issue with this?

This is a WorldNetDaily printer-friendly version of the article which follows.
    To view this item online, visit
    http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=44381

Saturday, May 21, 2005
    Embryonic stem-cell research: Science boondoggle
    Posted: May 21, 2005
    1:00 a.m. Eastern

By Dr. Kelly Hollowell
    © 2005 WorldNetDaily.com

Remember in June of 2001 when President Bush announced his plan for federal funding of embryonic stem-cell research? He announced federal dollars could be used to fund research on existing stem-cell lines because the embryos were already destroyed. He drew the line in the sand by saying no additional embryos would be destroyed for stem-cell research using our tax dollars.

It was supposed to be an acceptable compromise between opponents and proponents of this ethically challenged research. Of course, neither side was very happy. The left was appalled by the limitations. The right was concerned about giving the left a proverbial toehold that would lead to an eventual foothold on federal money for human experimentation.

As predicted, proponents now claim the president's stem-cell policy is handcuffing our nation's top scientists, restricting medical research and holding back cures from our loved ones. They also claim that the stem-cell lines available for federal research dollars are inferior to the stem-cell lines created after August 2001.

This has led to H.R. 810, the Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act of 2005. This bill is intended to overturn the Bush policy restricting government funding of ESCR. It is expected to come up for a vote in the House in the next two weeks. And according to D.C. insiders, it is also expected to pass with bipartisan support.

Since passing this bill will overturn the Bush policy, proponents are especially bragging about the Republican support. The bill has 23 Republican co-sponsors in the House, and some polls suggest that GOPers across the country are backing the research. Opponents naturally counter with polls of their own. All of which means more education on ESCR is needed - particularly in D.C.

News Flash - After 20 years of research, embryonic stem cells haven't cured a single lab rat. They haven't been used to treat people because the cells are unproven and unsafe. They tend to produce tumors, cause transplant rejection and form the wrong kinds of cells.

By stark contrast, adult stem cells have treated over 58 diseases in human patients in published clinical studies. Some of the most startling advancements have come in treating Parkinson's disease, juvenile diabetes, and spinal cord injuries. That's right Christopher Reeves fans, people treated with adult stem cells are regaining the use of their legs.

Right here at home, at least three young American women, Laura Dominguez, Susan Fajt and Melissa Holley, who suffered paralysis resulting from spinal cord injuries, regained muscle control thanks to a procedure using adult stem cells taken from their own noses.

Incredibly, Dominguez and Fajt are walking with assistance. Holley has so far regained bladder control and arm and leg movement. Additionally, umbilical cord blood cells were used in South Korea to treat a woman who had been paralyzed for19 years. She can now walk with braces.

Despite these remarkable advances using adult and umbilical cord stem cells, a large segment of the population remains focused on the hyped up embryonic stem cells. Why?

<snip> Read rest of column on site

The author is:

Kelly Hollowell, J.D., Ph.D., is a scientist, patent attorney and adjunct law professor of bioethics. She is a senior strategist for the Center for Reclaiming America, a conference speaker and founder of Science Ministries Inc.

Alan

There's a fungus among us, and I'm not lichen it!

Nerve Center Telnet BBS - tncbbs.no-ip.com
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Sure, you know we know the answer to that-But why should we stop there, I think its just as crazy to spend 300 million on a SCI Clinical Trial Network that will entertain acute treatments. Its like building super highways in the 1920's- First we needed more cars. The more cars there were meant we needed hi ways. Shouldn't we use the 300,000,000 to double esc and adult stem cell research instead? But, when a researcher has a chronic cure and even if there wasn't a 300,000,000 dollar sci clinical trial network I'm sure he'd find a way to get it to trial. And there would be thousands on a waiting list to enlist for the trial.

I like cure chronics you cure all sci

Comment

embryonic stem-cell weren't discovered until 1998 so were did she get 20 yrs. I heard Mel Gibson say the same thing on the radio in nov.

"News Flash - After 20 years of research, embryonic stem cells haven't cured a single lab rat"
      "When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That's my religion." — Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Foster,

Embryonic stem cells in lower animals have been known about for 30 years. They were first obtained from mice in 1981, which is why they say over 20 years.

-Steven
        ...how did it end up like this? it was only a kiss, it was only a kiss.
        ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Comment

Originally posted:
          That's right Christopher Reeves fans, people treated with adult stem cells are regaining the use of their legs.

Right here at home, at least three young American women, Laura Dominguez, Susan Fajt and Melissa Holley, who suffered paralysis resulting from spinal cord injuries, regained muscle control thanks to a procedure using adult stem cells taken from their own noses.

Incredibly, Dominguez and Fajt are walking with assistance. Holley has so far regained bladder control and arm and leg movement. Additionally, umbilical cord blood cells were used in South Korea to treat a woman who had been paralyzed for19 years. She can now walk with braces.

Despite these remarkable advances using adult and umbilical cord stem cells, a large segment of the population remains focused on the hyped up embryonic stem cells. Why?

The author is:

Kelly Hollowell, J.D., Ph.D., is a scientist, patent attorney and adjunct law professor of bioethics. She is a senior strategist for the Center for Reclaiming America, a conference speaker and founder of Science Ministries Inc.

She's one to talk about "hype"
          She has a PhD?
          Must stand for post hole digger [img]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

For clarification Melissa did not utilize "adult stem cells taken from their own noses". She was part of the www.proneuron.com macrophage trial carried out initially in June of 2000.

I haven't read the full article but from this excerpt the author is missing the critical component that can and will prove or disprove ESC or ASC or USC effectiveness. That is the money to support it. Amidst all the controversy there is still not enough federal monetary motivation in place to pursue it.

Onward and upward.

Comment

Steven, I wish to point that *mouse* embryonic stem cells have cured lots of mice. Since nobody has used mouse embryonic stem cells or human embryonic stem cells to treat people yet, their claim that embryonic stem cells has not cure anybody is not only ignorant but wrong and misleading. Wise.

[This message was edited by Wise Young on 05-22-05 at 10:56 AM.]

Comment

We're tilting at the wrong target. Kelly Hallowell is a lawyer and not a MD and knows less than most of the people on CareCure. (Kelly Hollowell, J.D., Ph.D., is a scientist, patent attorney and adjunct law professor of bioethics. She is a senior strategist for the Center for Reclaiming America, a conference speaker and founder of Science Ministries Inc.)

Her last sentence reminds me of the "Flat Worlders" around the time of Columbus! She's right up there with the creationists. Spend your time calling your friends to have them call their representatives to pass HR 810.
                Carl

Comment

carl, thanks and I agree with you. Opponents of embryonic stem cell research are now beset by three difficult problems:

1. Defection of key Republicans in Congress who are now questioning the proganda that they have been providing concerning the dangers of embryonic stem cell research and the lack of benefit of such research.

2. Overwhelming in-your-face evidence that the world has made progress in embryonic stem cell research while the United States is sitting on the bench because of President George W. Bush's 2001 decision.

3. Numerous polls that indicate that a large majority (>70% in most states) of American voters support stem cell research and do not have serious difficulties with use of frozen embryos that are being thrown out by fertility clinics. Prolife groups are now faced with significant evidence that people who want stem cell research (all stem cell research and not just embyronic stem cell research) cannot be just be steam-rollered with misleading propaganda.

I must say that I admire opponents of embryonic stem cell research for their tenacity. If we had the same tenacity for the cure, we would have had it by now. Despite overwhelming public support for stem cell research and defections of some their most respected pro-life politicians (Hatch, Spector, Castle, and others) who are now attacking their anti-stem cell position, they are doggedly continuing their work. In New Jersey, they are targetting districts where the issue is still in play, worrying the Democratic leadership of the state Assembly that 8 or more Democratic Assembly representatives may lose their race against Republican opponents, to the extent that they are willing to give up on something that they believe in. The pro-life groups (and I am told that Catholic priests are also pushing from their pulpits) are sinking millions of dollars into races in these districts.

I was told that the New Jersey Assembly could not muster enough votes to pass the referendum to allow New Jersey voters to pass a $230 million bond to support stem cell research. This is despite the fact that the New Jersey Assembly has 47 Democratic representatives to 34 Republican representatives! In my opinion, a rally that we held in Trenton last week may have turned the tide. Dozens of people with spinal cord injury attended, along with representatives of other advocacy groups. The Assembly members in New Jersey now know
                  1. They cannot cave into the anti-stem cell groups without facing the consequences;
                  2. There are many people who will support them in their re-election if they support the referendum;
                  3. It is bad to take away hope from people. Please see http://www.nj.com/columns/ledger/mor...5222185690.xml

I hope that these lessons will reverberate through the legislative halls of Trenton and Washington DC. These are lessons of democracy at its very nittiest and grittiest.

Wise.

[This message was edited by Wise Young on 05-22-05 at 11:33 AM.]

Comment

One of the more interesting paragraphs from the article:

Secondly, I want to assure readers that I long to see cures developed as much as anyone. My husband's best friend is paralyzed from a biking accident. My grandmother died of Parkinson's disease. My father died at 50 of cancer, and my daughter born just two months ago has a genetic disorder. So before you fire off an e-mail to me about how callous my position is, get a firm grip on the facts.
                    -Steven
                    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Comment

To use Dr. Kelly Hollowell's own colorful phrase, " NEWS FLASH", most of the people on this site know that she is misquoting articles and has confused the issues.

President Bush did, in fact, allow the existing embryonic stem cell lines to be funded for further research. However, at this time, he made his decision with the understanding that these existing lines were viable, when in fact they were either no longer viable or were all contaminated with mouse feeder cells.

Adult cells do hold promise for spinal cord regeneration. However, the persons Dr. Hollowell refers to may very well be largley benefiting from agressive exercise. I and many others on this forum have trained with many individuals who have received OEG or OEC and have seen first hand little improvements! In fact, as of today's date, we have not seen a written medical write up on these patients. It is truly sad when a doctor such as Kelly Hollowell, who knows better, tries to deceive the public with such overstated, misguided claims. She would do us all a favor if she would first do her homework on the science. Had she truly wanted to help our community, she would have mentioned such on-going studies such as the bone marrow primate studies at UCSD/Davis and embryonic work at UC Irvine. How the doctor could comingle the Pronuron trial and Dr. Lima's OEG trial is ignorant. Melissa Holly did not receive OEGs!

All of the states that have passed legislation in favor of embryonic research have included in their bill strict moral standards to assure against human reproductive cloning and to assure the highest ethical standards.

People like Dr. Hollowell will not stop ESC research, they will only slow it down. If the doctor would have done her homework, she would know that the majority of our community strongly supports all forms of adult and ESC research both morally and financially.

Comment

Originally posted by EAA:

To use Dr. Kelly Hollowell's own colorful phrase, " NEWS FLASH", most of the people on this site know that she is misquoting articles and has confused the issues.

President Bush did, in fact, allow the existing embryonic stem cell lines to be funded for further research. However, at this time, he made his decision with the understanding that these existing lines were viable, when in fact they were either no longer viable or were all contaminated with mouse feeder cells.

Adult cells do hold promise for spinal cord regeneration. However, the persons Dr. Hollowell refers to may very well be largley benefiting from agressive exercise. I and many others on this forum have trained with many individuals who have received OEG or OEC and have seen first hand little improvements! In fact, as of today's date, we have not seen a written medical write up on these patients. It is truly sad when a doctor such as Kelly Hollowell, who knows better, tries to deceive the public with such overstated, misguided claims. She would do us all a favor if she would first do her homework on the science. Had she truly wanted to help our community, she would have mentioned such on-going studies such as the bone marrow primate studies at UCSD/Davis and embryonic work at UC Irvine. How the doctor could comingle the Pronuron trial and Dr. Lima's OEG trial is ignorant. Melissa Holly did not receive OEGs!

All of the states that have passed legislation in favor of embryonic research have included in their bill strict moral standards to assure against human reproductive cloning and to assure the highest ethical standards.

People like Dr. Hollowell will not stop ESC research, they will only slow it down. If the doctor would have done her homework, she would know that the majority of our community strongly supports all forms of adult and ESC research both morally and financially.
                        oeg are not stem cells.

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Steven Edwards:

One of the more interesting paragraphs from the article:

Secondly, I want to assure readers that I long to see cures developed as much as anyone. My husband's best friend is paralyzed from a biking accident. My grandmother died of Parkinson's disease. My father died at 50 of cancer, and my daughter born just two months ago has a genetic disorder. So before you fire off an e-mail to me about how callous my position is, get a firm grip on the facts.

I don't find it interesting. I find it sad. She is the one that doesn't have a grip on the facts. Does she hear only what she wants to hear? Then expect everyone else to accept her personal belief on this as law? She is the one who needs to get a grip on the facts, then just be honest.
                          How is it that these people ever get to debating ESC research supposedly on moral grounds...research that would use what IVF clinics will treat as medical waste? It makes no sense at all. So has she spoken out concerning the IVF clinics? Does she also oppose that? Surely she can't be okay with IVF clinics and against research using what is treated as medical waste by IVF clinics?
                          I've had about all the hypocrisy I can stomach on this.

Comment

Thank you hope

Comment

Hope, I find it interesting because of her daughter having a genetic disorder. People have openly pondered what Bush would do if one of his own daughters were injured. I believe the would react the same Dr. Hollowell does.

Both sides -- opponents and proponents -- need to get a grip on the facts and learn to articulate their positions better. Is the "right" opposed to ESC research? No, they are opposed to the destruction of what they believe to be a life to obtain those stem cells. Does the "left" believe cloning creates a new life? No, otherwise they would oppose cloning.

-Steven

Comment

Working...
                              X