Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Way cool!! Count us in! Faye, I'll email you our info. We're from North Carolina. And aren't these guys very photogenic for news coverage?????!

Two cute guys

Ami & Chad (c4 complete since 1988)
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Comment

I'm a PhD research scientist - if I can help with any of the take away packets / writing, please let me know. I design clinical trials for a living (including occassionally in the area of SCI although psychiatry is my primary specialty). I'm highly comfortable in the research domain, so please let me know if I can be of service to the cause. *curtsies*

Ami

Comment

OFFER: Chad and I will pay for the hotel room of another wheeler/couple who wants to come but for whom the hotel expense is the rate limiting thing. Please email Faye and we'll trade addresses through her.

p.s. It would be excellent if Travis Roy comes, I just finished reading his book last night!

Comment

I have to say that I agree with Kap on both his suggestions of either late april or early may. Besides that it is a real beautiful time of year then with all the flowers blooming etc.

I also in really thinking about it agree with Kap in not making this a political protest type thing event even though a lot of us hold resentment towards our current government here in the US. If people chose to do so it will only serve in getting them ignored or worse arrested. You do not go against the grain against the type of dictatorship that currently rules the US, it will only get you in trouble.

I suggest everyone dress nicely, Men in Suits and ties and Woman in dresses and all be well groomed and look professional. I think we will get the best results this way and make the largest Impact.

I am still all for making the CR Paralysis Act the main purpose of this March, it will show respect for him, plus really make people realize how critical an event this is and how important it is that something be done to get us out of these wheelchairs.

I do like Suzannes suggestion for our slogan, I think the two fold approach could work.
          "Life is about how you
          respond to not only the
          challenges you're dealt but
          the challenges you seek...If
          you have no goals, no
          mountains to climb, your
          soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

Originally posted by zillazangel:

I'm a PhD research scientist - if I can help with any of the take away packets / writing, please let me know. I design clinical trials for a living (including occassionally in the area of SCI although psychiatry is my primary specialty). I'm highly comfortable in the research domain, so please let me know if I can be of service to the cause. *curtsies*

Ami
            Thanks Zilla/Amy,

Just got your e-mail.
            I already got word from the CRPF that they will be able to set up our appointments with legislators and provide our talking points. Since they know the CRPA inside and out, they are probably the best ones to do it!

If they don't also provide the leave-behind packets, we'd love to have you help with that [img]/forum/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img]

Their suggestion for our agenda was as follows:

10:00 AM Welcome
            10:05AM- 11:30AM Speakers/March
            11:30PM - 1:00 PM Lunch Break
            1:00 PM - 4:00 PM Appointments with legislators

Place and Date are being worked out.

~ Choices Are The Hinges Of Destiny ~

Comment

Originally posted by Curt Leatherbee:

I have to say that I agree with Kap on both his suggestions of either late april or early may. Besides that it is a real beautiful time of year then with all the flowers blooming etc.

I also in really thinking about it agree with Kap in not making this a political protest type thing event even though a lot of us hold resentment towards our current government here in the US. If people chose to do so it will only serve in getting them ignored or worse arrested. You do not go against the grain against the type of dictatorship that currently rules the US, it will only get you in trouble.

I suggest everyone dress nicely, Men in Suits and ties and Woman in dresses and all be well groomed and look professional. I think we will get the best results this way and make the largest Impact.

I am still all for making the CR Paralysis Act the main purpose of this March, it will show respect for him, plus really make people realize how critical an event this is and how important it is that something be done to get us out of these wheelchairs.

I do like Suzannes suggestion for our slogan, I think the two fold approach could work.
              I fully agree. The KISS principle always applies, ESPECIALLY when politicians are involved ....

Keep It Simple Stupid! ;-)

Comment

this is great

Comment

I am curious to know how if you are still planning on trying to get media attention? If so, how are you going to get it? Sending out a press release to say you are meeting with various Members of Congress will not get you an press. There has to be some form of "gimmick" or spark to make your meetings stand out from everyone else's.

Another question that I have is how are you planning on meeting with Members who do not support your views? As a former Senate staff member, calling them and just asking to meet with them will not do it.

It's great that the CRPF is helping. However, it is my experience that if organizations like CRPF or The Miami Project take the lead in this, the feel of the event and what's accomplished will be very different from an organic, grassroots movement.

CRPF and TMP would have it very staged and "nice" but if people wanted to do a "roll-in", they would stop it.

There is something very beautiful in the grassroots movement that can't fully be explained unless you have been a part of it. I can say this from experience from being part of one as well as the understanding of working for an international non-profit and what there agendas are.

The CRPF agenda is nice. It will serve its purpose and inform members about paralysis and the need for increased money. But do you want more?

Do you want a movement that also feeds the soul? That heals wounds? That inspires greatness? That empowers and leaves a lasting impression and emotional charge with you for months after it is over with?

If so, than do more than just a nice agenda. Maybe it would be rolling in front of the White House with picket signs. Nothing disorderly or protest '60s style like but something more.

You can do more than many organizations can because they are limited by how a professional group must behave and act in professional Washington. Please know that I am not calling you unprofessional. But you can bring to the movement a face. A picture. An energy that can't happen by just meeting individually with Members.

I really believe that what is most important is to get to see Members who oppose you and to get media attention. If the media grabs it, they can show the national public what life is like paralyzed. They can mobilize the general public for you in ways that meeting with Members can't.

You can accomplish everyone's goals here. Think big. Dream and reach for the sky. It's yours. It is the idealists who have thrown caution to the wind that has advanced mankind in leaps and bounds faster than people following conventional behavior. You are the pioneers who are changing the world for the better and making it easier for those who become paralyzed after you.

There are two quotes that I always carry with me:

"No pessimists ever discovered the secret of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land, or opened a new heaven to the human spirit" Helen Keller

and

"The difference between waht we do, and what we are capable of doing, would solve most of the world's problems." Gandhi

Comment

Hi Everyone!
                    I have a friend in DC who arranges travel for groups. She used to be a congressional aide on the Hill. I will contact her and check what she knows about hotels at that time of year and also what legislators do right after Cherry Blossom. e.g. do they all flee. She also will know, based on groups she already has, when schools have Spring Break. I'll get her ideas on 'best times'

We are happy to work with everyone on this ... message, plans, etc.

Ready to Roll!

Persist ... in Hope,
                    Patricia

Comment

Great work, everyone. This is awesome.

LetsGo: Regarding media, I am handling that aspect. I've been in journalism/PR for more than 10 years, so I know how to put things together in that area.

Leo: Two professionally printed banners are already being financed. No hand-written stuff. All professional.

To anyone interested in writing: Please send me a private topic. I will coordinate all writing so that we don't overlap.

Banner 1:

UNITED, WE WILL STAND
                      Fund Treatments to Cure Paralysis

Banner 2:

FREEDOM FROM PARALYSIS
                      Support the C. Reeve Paralysis Act

I like these a lot. The banners I'm looking at are 3x9 feet. Plenty of room for a big line and small line. Anymore thoughts?

Comment

Attached is a sample banner. This proof was made before we changed the wording, so obviously it'll be different.
                        Attached Files

Comment

LetsGo,
                          Yes, I agree, we need to be sure groups like CRPF maintain an assisting role, not take over.

Sue
                          Please submit your photo and story of hope:

http://bridges2hope.unite2fightparalysis.org/

http://unite2fightparalysis.org/

Comment

One More Idea, perhaps as part of the "take away" packets:

For each SCI victim who attends, a photo and explanation of the effort it took for that person to participate, such as:
                            [LIST]<LI>Taking time off from work;
                            <LI>Enlisting help of caregiver;
                            <LI>How expenses were covered;
                            <LI>Time and expense to take care of accessibility details for travel (plane, hotel, transportation, etc.);
                            <LI>Equipment, supplies necessary to pack;
                            <LI>If traveling without caregiver, help needed at both ends of the journey;

And I'm sure there is much more that could be contributed by those with experience.

Comment

I also agree with LetsGo

Clipper the sign looks great although United which is the probably the most common word on these kind of signs maybe should be reduced in size to allow the focal points to be Cure and Paralysis. If you look at it fast your mind goes to a song, "United we Stand, Divided we Fall" and you don't even see Cure Research or Paralysis.

Comment

And a big fat welcome to Patricia! Welcome, lady.[img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Oh and Patricia...after surfing and talking to clipper, it looks to me like a hotel away from capitol hill (much cheaper) and very near an accessible metro station (metro will drop us nearer to the capitol than any of the hotels are!) is the way to go. Could you ask your friend if she has any recommendations that meet that criteria?

"You need to march. You need to demand action. You need to stop feeling unempowered and do something...Freedom is your right. Until you claim your self-confidence and know your worth, no one will give it to you. It starts with you."-LetsGo

[This message was edited by Betheny on 01-24-05 at 05:21 PM.]
                                Blog:
                                Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

Working...
                                X