No announcement yet.

FINALLY SOMETHING....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At the present, we still don't know how much and what kind of training is necessary, whether it is useful to do the training before the regeneration or after the regeneration.
    Perhaps we should make some mistakes & find out.

Comment

I just read my post and Wise's reply. Just for the record, while walking felt like a circus act to "me", In paralell bars, one had to look very carefully to tell that I was not able bodied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wise Young:

Tucker, thank you so much for sharing your experience. At McGill, they have been leaders in research to train locomotor function in the lower spinal cord. What you describe is indeed my impression, that the training do produce changes in the lower spinal cord so that walking can occur, albeit without voluntary control.
        So, the key now is to combine this training with a regenerative therapy......It would be such a shame if we are able to regenerate the spinal cord but don't do the training necessary to restore locomotor function. At the present, we still don't know how much and what kind of training is necessary, whether it is useful to do the training before the regeneration or after the regeneration.

Wise.
        Thank you Tucker and Dr. Young for addressing what the treadmill training would mean in terms of restorative therapy. I think the treadmill training should be standard therapy before regeneration AND after regeneration.

Before: to maintain muscle, bone and circulation. Also it's important to determine effectiveness of the regenerative therapy, by maximizing function before the application of the regenerative therapy. That way the effects after regenerative therapy can be attributed purely to the regenerative therapy, because the treadmill training had already maximized function before the regenerative therapy was applied.

After: treadmill training will give the proper input to the axons so they can connect appropriately as they are regenerating.

My biggest problem is that it is so labor intensive. When Jason was younger at age 8, I was able to have Jason do it with the help of one or two of his sisters. Now he is just too big and I would need the help of two other adults which I did at the HIT Center ( a sports training center) here in Jacksonville. HIT stands for High Intensity Training.
        But it wore me out most, because I assisted with the left leg which has a lot of tone. So we have discontinued again.

~It's troubling that exit polls and vote totals were so far out of whack. "I've spent my whole life in marketing. The difference is clearly beyond any sampling variability. ... The community of statisticians and media experts need to not let this be dropped"~ Bill Hawkes, a retired A.C. Nielsen Co. statistician.

Comment

I recently got into a treadmill/gait study at UCLA... unlike partials that can really benefit, as a very complete T7 I don't expect to be dancing anytime soon from it...

however, I'm very happy/honored to be involved/help an effort that will assist the scientific community to more fully understand the dynamics of Activity Based Recovery, which will in turn lead to clinical applications that can benefit us all...

I suspect jeff was glad because he won't have to visit a blue state to have access to similar programs and that something is being done locally to help us all...

the UCLA research will also help refine EMG technology for pre and post op cell therapy muscle activity analysis to quantitativly compare and document any potential gains from future cell based therapies as they develop - a key requirement to help discover what will work and what won't...

IMO, it's all just good steps in the right direction...

regards!

rvr
          rob

Comment

Working...
          X