Michael J. Fox wearing our "Unlock the Prison of Paralysis" T-shirt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michael J. Fox wearing our "Unlock the Prison of Paralysis" T-shirt

I was invited to speak at a Michael J. Fox Stem Cell Research event in Tampa today, and I presented Michael with one of our T-Shirts.

He liked it very much and said he would wear it on the plane home!!!

If anyone else would like to wear these T-shirts ( maybe have them pop up everywhere in the US, just like the yellow bracelets have done), please go to www.CureParalysisNow.org and order yours.

"We have a chance to take a giant stride forward for the good of all humanity" in the next election. "We can choose between the future and the past, between reason and ignorance, between true compassion and mere ideology."- Ron Reagan Jr.

You should have gotten a picture for the website.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.
    Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

Comment

Actor speaks out on stem cells
      Michael J. Fox joins Democrats and doctors in pushing research that could aid Parkinson's patients and others.
      By LISA GREENE, Times Staff Writer
      Published September 29, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Times photos: Joseph Garnett Jr.]
      Actor Michael J. Fox said President Bush's stance on stem cell research makes no sense.
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jason Armitage, 14, cries as he listens to his mother, Faye Armitage of Jacksonville, tell a USF audience how he was paralyzed in a soccer accident after colliding with another child at age 7. Armitage is the founder of Cure Paralysis Now, which supports stem cell research.

TAMPA - Actor Michael J. Fox told hundreds of University of South Florida students Tuesday that he can respect people who oppose stem cell research for ethical reasons.

But he said President Bush is not one of those people.

Fox, who came to Tampa with Democratic leaders to push for stem cell research, said Bush's policy is hypocritical. Condemning the research as unethical, but allowing some of it to proceed under strict limits, makes no sense to Fox.

"You can do this a little bit, just don't tell the neighbors," he said of Bush's position.

Research on embryonic stem cells could save millions of lives, he told the crowd of about 500. Fox, who suffers from Parkinson's, said stem cell research can help with that disease as well as other conditions, such as spinal injuries.

"That could be any one of us," he said. "This will benefit humanity in ways that are incalculable. ... We have the opportunity to do some amazing things."

Many of the USF students in Fox's audience weren't even born when Fox first became famous on Family Ties in 1982. They may have been in diapers when Back to the Future made him a megastar.

But thanks to the magic of reruns, some of the students told Fox about their favorite episodes. One told him that hearing that Fox had Parkinson's was almost like hearing about a member of her own family.

Another woman thanked Fox for becoming the nation's most famous advocate for fighting the disease. She's had Parkinson's for 11 years.

Audience members also got a science lesson in stem cells from a USF professor, Dr. Juan Sanchez-Ramos, who explained how the embryonic cells hold promise because they can have the capacity to become any type of cell - nerve, muscle, blood. That means they might one day help to cure a broad array of diseases.

Opponents of stem cell research say it's wrong to use cells from a fertilized embryo, destroying it in the process. They compare it to abortion. Advocates say stem cells used in research are leftover from in-vitro fertilization attempts and would be destroyed anyway.

Faye Armitage, a Jacksonville resident whose 14-year-old son, Jason, was paralyzed in a soccer accident at age 7, told the crowd of her hopes that stem cell research could one day help him.

Source

"We have a chance to take a giant stride forward for the good of all humanity" in the next election. "We can choose between the future and the past, between reason and ignorance, between true compassion and mere ideology."- Ron Reagan Jr.

Comment

Faye;

Thanks. Again. You go girl!

John
        "Hope is like a road in the country; there was never a road, but when many people walk on it, the road comes into existence." Lin Yutang

Comment

Faye, thanks for all of your hard work for the cause. We appreciate it - glad that the Times staff writer talked about you in the article. The Tampa Trib had an article on the front page of the metro section and they quoted you.

Mike

T12 Incomplete - Walking with Crutches, Oct 2003

[This message was edited by MikeC on 09-29-04 at 11:22 AM.]
          T12 Incomplete - Walking with Crutches, Injured in Oct 2003

Comment

Faye, I'm a writer for a large advertising agency in Texas and four years ago broke my neck. I am currently paralyzed from the neck down. I still work from my house and am interested in helping out. I work with a number of talented designers and wonder if you would entertain the thought of changing your logo. I have yet to contact them because I would like to hear from you first. I'm contacting you because it seems you already have printing and distribution lined up and it makes sense to help out rather than start over. Please let me know and we will get to work.

Comment

JARED333 - check your private messages.

Tom

Comment

great news! Faye,i thank you for all of your spirited efforts-the message is getting through. :-)

Comment

Faye,
                  Thanks for making such an effort. I know that it will make a difference.

Comment

Faye, Jason, and Mr. Fox..what a team of workers!
                    You go girl.

Help is on the way.
                    Life isn't about getting thru the storm but learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

Great job Faye! - Congraulations.

Comment

that's awesome news faye! what a great advcate to have on board, not to mention the collaboration between different neurological conditions for a common cause is good for all of us. thanks for all the work you do!

Comment

Way to go Faye. Looks like our little group of 7 may be making a little impact.

Deb
                          "Save the last dance for me!"

Comment

Originally posted by Debbie7:

Way to go Faye. Looks like our little group of 7 may be making a little impact.

Deb
                            Debbie,

I was even more surprised when Scott Maddox, Chairman of the Florida Democratic Party said in his introduction to the Michael J. Fox Stem Cell Research event:

" We need to restore the freedom of scientists to do the research needed to 'Unlock the Prison of Paralysis'"

The only place he could have gotten that phrase from was the T-shirt Jason was wearing!!

I was sooo impressed that he had noticed.

This phrase could become as well-known as the phrase "Live Strong" which Lance Armstrong uses!!!!!!

Comment

Another article on the Event from The Oracle:

News

Oracle/JAISEN CROCKETT
                              Actor Michael J. Fox spoke at the Sun Dome on Tuesday about his support of stem cell research and the Kerry-Edwards ticket.

By Gina Araya
                              Correspondent
                              September 29, 2004

Actor Michael J. Fox, who was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease in 1991, won three Emmy awards for Spin City when he retired to pursue the cause for stem cell research fulltime. He founded the Michael J. Fox Foundation and travels the United States advocating the funding and implementation of this controversial issue.

Fox spoke Tuesday to an audience at the USF Sun Dome about the importance of stem cell research. The Democratic National Committee sponsored the lecture.

Fox was joined by a group of panelists that included Faye Armitage, founder of Cure Paralysis Now and mother of Jason, a quadriplegic, and Dr. Juan Sanchez-Ramos, a neurologist and neuroscientist. The speech was intended to earn support for stem cell research and the Kerry-Edwards campaign, which promises to fund the research. President George W. Bush has opposed funding since 2001, when he spoke publicly against the research.

The presentation took place in front of an audience of approximately 300 people. Amongst the backdrop of a blue-and-yellow banner reading "Hope For Our Families," Fox and the featured guests delivered insights into the world of stem cell research and answered a variety of questions from students.

"We are all affected by this -- our loved ones and the hundreds of thousands of people afflicted with diseases that can be helped by stem cell research," Fox said.

Jason Armitage and his mother Faye have traveled the world looking for treatment to help Jason regain movement after a soccer clash resulted in paralysis from the neck down. Faye said all attempts to find a cure failed -- then she found out about stem cell research.

Stem cell research involves the taking of embryonic stem cells from in vitro fertilization clinics for use on people who are affected by a number of diseases that may benefit from the regenerative properties of stem cells. An example Dr. Sanchez-Ramos used involved a real experiment done with a salamander, which grew back its arm in 28 days after it was cut off. The moral implications of this procedure, however, cause opponents to link it to abortion and the elimination of respect for human life. However, Fox disagrees.

"When we talk about stem cell research, all kind of images come up that just don't factor," Fox said. "I respect people's opinion, but I recognize that we can do this ethically."

Fox alluded to the fact that young scientists resist entering this field of science for fear of lack of funding.

"Progress is not about money, it's about people," Fox said.

This research can help thousands of people just like Jason, who are incapable of growing back crucial tissue that allow them to move again.

"Any parent wants independence for their child so they can move on, but Jason can't," said Mrs. Armitage. During his mother's speech, Jason put his head down and cried.

The DNC's president for the state of Florida, Scott Mattison, asked people to believe in science and compassion and vote for Kerry this election. Compassion, Mattison said, is something that Bush lacks.

"How can you be compassionate if you're willing to turn your back on science?" Mattison said.

For all opponents of stem cell research, Faye asks if it's better to throw away these cells or save lives?

She pointed out that 58 senators have sent Bush letters trying to obtain approval for more funding that he has refused. She said she feels the only way to change that is to vote for the Kerry-Edwards ticket on Nov. 2.

Comment

Working...
                              X