Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris2, yes, I agree. You need to beat that depression. I wish that I knew more about depression and can suggest something that would help. I am not sure that a cure of spinal cord injury is the answer to depression. I know a lot of people who don't have spinal cord injury and who are still desperately depressed. I met a young man by the name of Derrick in Hongyun Huang's ward and he had a thoracic spinal cord injury. He had a guitar on the bed next to him. Does playing the guitar help? I know that it helps me.

Wise.

Comment

• the best thing for depression would be to be able to heal a spinal cord injury.. Cannot call it a cure, because that would be of the way we were before the injury so everybody says.. 90% of depression medication side effects are worse..I have been down that road, keep the medication, want to cure the Depression and let's get a realistic timeframe when we will be standing, 8 years post C-3 injury... And now that's depressing.. Tell me where to go I will be on the next airplane.. Keep saying two more years & still sitting on a chair.. Would love to hear it's going to happen but there's too much political garbage, FDA and their garbage.. So we have to deal with Depression no matter what.. Fix the spinal cord & then fixes Depression..
      keiffer66

Comment

• Dr. Young & Chris2,

I am not a depression expert, but my current academic curriculum deals with depression in its many forms. Never having experieced depression myself until about a year ago (I'm 2.5 years post) I was unable to relate to it until I experienced it.

I believe Chris2 could substantially get over his depression if the future of SCI therapies weren't so uncertain. Just a few months ago Chris2 was positive and optimistic when Dr. Young posted some estimated time lines to treatment. Initially they seemed like a revelation, but Chris2 later began to realize they may be to far away to benefit him, so depression set in.

I also agree with Keith about the potential side effects of anti-depressant meds, but in extreme cases, you have to make an appropriate decision.

Chris2, if you're not on an anti-depressant presently, sounds like you may need to consider getting on one. You have been SCI for over 20 years and that in itself is a powerful testiment to your fortitude.

I wish someone could accurately tell you on such and such a day, in the year something, your paralysis will be significantly reversed. The science just isn't there yet, so in the meantime, you have to do the best you can. If you're in a rural area, a pet can help a lot (cat, dog, etc.). Also, look for a good counselor, you may go through 3 or 4 before you find the right one for you. I have seen a good counselor literally pull people from the edge of an abyss.

Comment

• "I believe that there will be effective therapies that will restore function to people with spinal cord injury, including touch and pain sensations, bladder and bowel function, erection and ejaculation, and motor control including long-distance walking"

and how long before this happens?

"will be available in 4 years"

could "long distance walking" happen this soon?

I am constantly seeking medical help for my depression but nothing helps - I thought I was doing fine until I got an infection 5 weeks ago, then lost belief in a cure....

[This message was edited by Chris2 on 12-12-04 at 10:00 PM.]

Comment

• I fear that a depressed person would not be selected for a cure treatment

paraplegia is a major stress factor for me

I think if I'd never had the accident I would not have had depression as often and as badly

Comment

• I am constantly seeking medical help for my depression but nothing helps - I thought I was doing fine until I got an infection 5 weeks ago, then lost belief in a cure....
              Are you on an anti-depressant?

What type of infection?

I think if I'd never had the accident I would not have had depression as often and as badly
              I agree completely. But, now that you know you are depressed, are any of the previous suggestions an option?

Comment

• Schmeky

on efexor, olanzapine and imovane - seen different councillers - nothing works - just getting worse

infection in testicle

Comment

• Chris2,

Sorry. I understand. Depression's been nibblin' on me to lately. Everyday's a struggle.

E-mail me.

Comment

• Wise,
                    Can I use some pieces of this, too?

Thx,
                    Sue

"Either you decide to stay in the shallow end of the pool or you go out in the ocean." C. Reeve
                    Please submit your photo and story of hope:

http://bridges2hope.unite2fightparalysis.org/

http://unite2fightparalysis.org/

Comment

• sue, I am trying to squeeze a little time out to update all these topics. Most of them were written a while back and without a lot of edit/checking. In the next couple of days, I will be posting these updated versions on the main carecure.org web site. You can of course use them. Wise.

Comment

• update?

Dr. Young,

I am grateful for everything you are doing for our community, but when, when can we reasonably hope for any concrete - if only partial- solutions to our problems? I hear of a lot of good results from laboratories and research centers, but I also read from a lot of desperate people - like me at times- who are in pain and isolated in their homes, some bedridden. When my surgeon tells me there won't be any breakthrough, not in the coming ten years, I am tempted to say he is wrong; but at the same time, unfortunately, I don't know of any treatment that can alleviate my pain or improve my condition. I don't think I could live without hope- and I know the most negative people on this site only want to be reassured- but are we all being unreasonable at this point in time. There will be a cure, but will it happen in our lifetimes?

gretchen 1
                        gretchen 1

Comment

• I recently went to my general practitioner and he told me to face reality that we are just keeping me in shape, so they do not break any bones while transferring, but I will never walk again in this lifetime.. Go figure only 38 years old 8 years in a wheelchair C-3 quadriplegic.. And yes I got depressed, made appointment to see one of the best spinal cord doctors in New Jersey.. He told me if I told you three years ago there was going to be a computer small enough to fit in your pocket would I believe him?? He said I won't be walking in six months, but he did not rule out that I would never walk again.. If there is anything ever proven I would be on the next airplane.. But unfortunately we have to sit and wait till the time comes.. Hopefully soon.. Personally burned out myself financially secure financially does not by you happiness..
                          keiffer66

Comment

• Hi Kieth,

Your right things are happening so fast, and it has amazed the heck out of me the info i've learned on CC and relayed to to people who you would think are in the know, and they say get out of here really..tell me more.

We have much more to do than just sit and wait.

Things don't happen, we make them happen.

keep rockin...

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you."
                            Gandolf the Gray
                            http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

Comment

• Im new to this site, but already think its awsome.
                              Thanks for this info, some things i new and some i did not.
                              I am 25 years old and have been injured C5 for 5.5 years after a motorcycle accident. I belive a sci cure will come by or before 2010. thank goodness there are reaserchers like you. keep up the good work.

J2
                              J2

28/M/chicago/C5-c6 quad Comp.
                              [url]
                              www.J2RollsOn.com

Comment

• HiDr Young,
                                Im new to this site im 1 year 2months injury and this is my second post.

Question: You say that Olfactory ensheathing glial (OEG)cells are giving 4-8 levels Sensory and 1-2 levels Motor function. I am T12 does this mean that i have a chance of gaining all function cause I do know that the spinal cord ends at L1 and it is only roots after that. Surly this surgery is enough for me to be able to regain major function that my injury is so low down.

This Wheelchair is a pain in the butt

Comment

Working...
                                X