Clear All

• Damagedgoods,

I met Dr. Young in September, 2003!

Welcome to this informative SCI Forum!!
    Suzanne

Comment

• Lori in Pittsburgh....

Originally posted by weepinglamb
      finally i made the decision to take the 1 1/2 hour ride in the medicade van back to
      pittsburgh for my outpatient.

5..as i said earlier i was never reevaluated by my dr., who by all this time and suffering, i've lost most of my trust and faith in
      Hi Lori,
      I hope things are going well for you.
      My daugter was injured while away at school in 2004 and is a C-4 incomplete. We are also in Pittsburgh or actually right outside of Pittsburgh in Beaver.
      Do you mind me asking what out patient facility you are going to in Pittsburgh?

We found that the two most beneficial places for her have been CORA rehab center in Kennedy township for bio feed back - this is OT, and UPMC on the South Side for OT. I have the numbers for both of these if you need them.
      Best of luck,
      Mary

Comment

• Suzanne, thanks. Yes, we met in 2003. By the way, this topic is getting out of date and I am writing a replacement topic. So, I am unsticking it from the top. As soon as I finish an updated summary, I will post it.

Wise.

Originally posted by poonsuzanne
        Damagedgoods,

I met Dr. Young in September, 2003!

Welcome to this informative SCI Forum!!

Comment

• dr. young

Is it not true that no therapy being tested right now has showed disappointing results?

Comment

• Originally posted by damagedgoods
            Is it not true that no therapy being tested right now has showed disappointing results?
            I am not sure that I understand your question because it is a triple negative statement: not true, no therapy, disappointing. Let me simplify the statement into a single negative. Yes, many therapies that are being tested in clinical trial have shown disappointing results. However, all the therapies have been just cell transplants without combinations. Wise.

Comment

• Originally posted by mphemenway
              Hi Lori,
              I hope things are going well for you.
              My daugter was injured while away at school in 2004 and is a C-4 incomplete. We are also in Pittsburgh or actually right outside of Pittsburgh in Beaver.
              Do you mind me asking what out patient facility you are going to in Pittsburgh?

We found that the two most beneficial places for her have been CORA rehab center in Kennedy township for bio feed back - this is OT, and UPMC on the South Side for OT. I have the numbers for both of these if you need them.
              Best of luck,
              Mary
              Dear Mary,
              it is just by coincidence that I re visited the thread that you asked the question on. I go to the South side facility for both PT and OT. They, highly recommended , but I don't think they have all the equipment that I need. Be sure to know what you Want and need for your daughter and call ahead to see if they have all of your needs. If you're still not sure , just set up of time to visit it and look around for yourself. Be sure to ask questions. I can vouch for the OT program , which is excellent. I'm simply dissatisfied with the PT program.
              Please feel free to ask me any other questions,
              Lori
              sigpicPlease Visit My Blog at: http://queenquad.blogspot.com

But those who wait on the Lord
              Shall renew their strength;
              They shall mount up with wings like eagles,
              They shall run and not be weary,
              They shall walk and not faint
              Isaiah 40:31

Comment

• I think I might give it a try to figure out what he meant. That have any therapies resulted in more loss of function

Comment

• Originally posted by weepinglamb
                  Dear Mary,
                  it is just by coincidence that I re visited the thread that you asked the question on. I go to the South side facility for both PT and OT. They, highly recommended , but I don't think they have all the equipment that I need. Be sure to know what you Want and need for your daughter and call ahead to see if they have all of your needs. If you're still not sure , just set up of time to visit it and look around for yourself. Be sure to ask questions. I can vouch for the OT program , which is excellent. I'm simply dissatisfied with the PT program.
                  Lori
                  Hi Lori,
                  We currently see Lynne for OT on the South Side... My daughter has seen her for about a year now. Is that who you are seeing for OT? We really like her a lot. As a matter a fact we will be seeing her tomorrow.

Like I said earlier, my daughter goes to OT on the South Side and to CORA Rehab in Kennedy Township for bio feedback therapy. Have you tried that yet? Here is the link. This has actually been the most beneficial for my daughter. We saw extremely positive results from this.

http://www.corahealth.com/clinics/cl...sp?clinicId=25
                  Take care,
                  Mary

Comment

• Originally posted by weepinglamb
                    Dear Mary,
                    Lori
                    Hi Lori,
                    We currently see Lynne for OT on the South Side... My daughter has seen her for about a year now. Is that who you are seeing for OT? We really like her a lot. As a matter a fact we will be seeing her tomorrow.

Like I said earlier, my daughter goes to OT on the South Side and to CORA Rehab in Kennedy Township for bio feedback therapy. Have you tried that yet? Here is the link. This has actually been the most beneficial for my daughter. We saw extremely positive results from this.

http://www.corahealth.com/clinics/cl...sp?clinicId=25
                    Take care,
                    Mary

Comment

• Dr. Young

Dr. Young
                      I am new to this forum and SCI (7 months post). Trying to digest all this information here and on the internet is overwhelming. I have a lot of questions for you so I apologize if I'm rambling. On the first page of this thread "top 10 questions" was from late 2004. Could you give me in your opinion an updated timeline of available, safe and effective therapies that would change my condition. I also want to know if embryonic is the way things will go as a "cure", should I take to having some of my own eggs frozen for future use? I'm in my late thirties so now would be the time before I run out so to speak. And lastly I want to take off like 25 pounds, could you suggest some exercises that would help.

I also wanted to say, it is so refreshing to have someone like you looking out for people like us. Thank you!

Ginger

Comment

• Lee, I am trying to write a summary of 2005 advances in therapies of spinal cord injury. It has been overwhelming me because so much has happened. I will try to post it as soon as I can. In regard to your question:
                        • Timeline of safe and effective therapies. Much depends on several efforts around the world to get clinical trial network started. Unfortunately, most of the clinical studies around the world have been solo efforts without much coordination or resources. I believe that there will be much more information coming out in the coming year from efforts in China, Europe and the U.S. I have several articles concerning time lines on this site but most of these were written several years ago and therefore out of date.
                        • Saving eggs. In my opinion, scientists are moving beyond eggs as the sole source of embryonic stem cells. More important, somatic cell nuclear transfer does not require the person's own eggs. There is promising research showing that fusion of somatic and embryonic stem cells can produce stem cells.
                        • Weight loss. It is particularly difficult for people with spinal cord injury to lose weight because the option of exercise is limited and more difficult to implement. The only answer is diet. You may want to check out your thyroid function. Some people with spinal cord injury may have low thyroid hormonal levels. This may account for the weight. Perhaps others will have suggestions.

Wise.

Originally posted by Lee
                        Dr. Young
                        I am new to this forum and SCI (7 months post). Trying to digest all this information here and on the internet is overwhelming. I have a lot of questions for you so I apologize if I'm rambling. On the first page of this thread "top 10 questions" was from late 2004. Could you give me in your opinion an updated timeline of available, safe and effective therapies that would change my condition. I also want to know if embryonic is the way things will go as a "cure", should I take to having some of my own eggs frozen for future use? I'm in my late thirties so now would be the time before I run out so to speak. And lastly I want to take off like 25 pounds, could you suggest some exercises that would help.

I also wanted to say, it is so refreshing to have someone like you looking out for people like us. Thank you!

Ginger

Comment

• Originally posted by Wise Young
                          Lee, I am trying to write a summary of 2005 advances in therapies of spinal cord injury. It has been overwhelming me because so much has happened. I will try to post it as soon as I can.
                          This will be great reading Wise. I’m looking forward to this and I’m quite sure everybody on this board is. Thank you for your efforts and the energy you put into this.

Comment

• Wise

Thank you for the helpful information. I look forward to seeing your new information; would you be continuing with it on this thread or starting a new one?

Comment

• Mr Wise..is This Hope Or Not?

http://beike@stemcellschina
                              MR WISE COULD YOU PLEASE CHECK THIS OUT AND SEND ME A REPLY?THANK YOU FOR WHAT YOU DO.

TONY

Comment

• Sorry Mr Wise I Think This Is It

[ATTACH]8890[/ATTACH]....

Comment

Working...
                                X