No announcement yet.

Man paralyzed from the neck down walks again thanks to a new medical innovation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man paralyzed from the neck down walks again thanks to a new medical innovation

https://www.goodmorningamerica.com/w...ation-67335606

Maybe someone already posted this. Happy Thanksgiving!

I'm guessing that's this Clinical Trail https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/...&draw=2&rank=2

Mayo Clinic Adipose Stem Cells for Traumatic Spinal Cord Injury

Comment

https://www.newswise.com/articles/ca...al-cord-injury

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.or...871-7/fulltext

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/man-paraly...opstories.html
      Last edited by Sparky831; 27 Nov 2019, 8:11 PM.

Comment

Thanks for sharing.

Does anyone know why this phase I trial takes 7 years? Are all stem cell trials taking this long? Do phase II and III also take 7 years each?

Comment

Originally posted by LukeTheDuke View Post
          Thanks for sharing.

Does anyone know why this phase I trial takes 7 years? Are all stem cell trials taking this long? Do phase II and III also take 7 years each?
          Not sure about 7 years. My understanding is this is a 96 week trial. I had some extensive discussions with the team earlier this year in hopes of becoming number 10 on the trial, but unfortunately was rejected due to one of the exclusion criteria. We were very clear about this being a 96 week trial.
          C5/6 complete (maybe) circa June 2018

Comment

Originally posted by ejl10 View Post
            Not sure about 7 years. My understanding is this is a 96 week trial. I had some extensive discussions with the team earlier this year in hopes of becoming number 10 on the trial, but unfortunately was rejected due to one of the exclusion criteria. We were very clear about this being a 96 week trial.
            How long have you been injured?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky831 View Post
              How long have you been injured?
              June 2018 - I had to fly to Mayo late spring so I could start <1 year out.
              C5/6 complete (maybe) circa June 2018

Comment

June 2018 - I had to fly to Mayo late spring so I could start <1 year out.
                Ah so it really was for patients who were 1 year out only. I never got a definitive answer from them about the length of injury.

Comment

I may be off base but I was told you have really up to 2 years to get back a lot

Comment

Man paralyzed from the neck down walks again thanks to a new medical innovation - ABC

Man paralyzed from the neck down walks again thanks to a new medical innovation - ABC News - https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Wellness/...ry?id=67335606
                    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

Comment

I just saw it and was going to post it but it does not say level of injury. I didn't see any muscle atrophy in the arms or hands post injury so I question it.

Ti
                      "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Comment

I think the report said he broke his neck in 8 places from a surfing accident.

Comment

Understood. I think the entire trial, not for each patient, takes 7 (2017-2023) though. And this is just phase I. Wondering how many years from now this could be approved and made available for the majority of the patients.

Comment

If you watch the video and read the articles, it very clearly states the guys injury what is C3 - Asia C.
                            They did say that he was originally diagnosed as Asia A but very shortly after began getting some movement and feeling back.... so he was Asia C before the trial and obviously Asia D (really Asia D++) after the trial.

He started about 1 year post injury and these results shown are at about 3 years post injury.

Look... there are definitely some things to be skeptical about here. For instance their claim that he plateaued after 6 months. That is silly. Anybody that is getting movement back and going from no movement to an Asia C over the first few months ISNT going to Plateau completely at 6 months. With hard work he could have been improving over the next few years or longer... most Asia C injuries can walk to some extent.

They also showed very little about his hands. I'm not sure how debilitated they were. They were hardly mentioned.

So while our group absolutely knows much more about the reality of these injuries than the General Public and have much more to be skeptical about, on some level there are some things to be very hopeful about here.

I just wish they would show more about people's functions before the trial. Instead of showing him on a standing frame with a neck brace on which we all know means nothing 6 months later...

Show him ambulating with a walker. Or on a treadmill. So we can compare what was really going on pre-trial
                            But I guess that does not make for as compelling a news story...
                            Last edited by Mitchitsu; 28 Nov 2019, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Another thing I forgot to mention which is interesting. On clinicaltrial it states the inclusion criteria was Asia A or Asia B... yet this person was Asia C.

So.... I don't know what was going on there.

Someone who appears to be Asia A directly after injury from spinal shock who progresses to Asia C in the first few months can potentially have a very high ceiling on progress over the next 2-5 years with hard work...

So I'm not sure what was going on there. Maybe the video / reporter got it wrong. Maybe he was Asia B? Although they did give examples of movement pre trial... so thats auto C.

I don't know. It's great to hear that research is coming along but I'm definitely skeptical about this one at the moment unfortunately.

Comment

Working...
                              X