Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paralyzed Humboldt Broncos player moves legs after experimental surgery in Thailand

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Paralyzed Humboldt Broncos player moves legs after experimental surgery in Thailand

    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...drie-1.5350117

    Check out the video. Anyone know some people that had this implanted? Their account of improvements?



    This one with Medtronic stimulator shows good results as well (where can I get one?! any electrical engineers here that can reprogram it?) https://youtu.be/9-PXt5Wm2ig?t=1067 Kelly Thomas is using this device. I'd love to try one.


    If anyone can get a medtronic device I'd buy and if anyone knows or has a know how to reprogram or alter it I'd pay you for that as well.

    Looking forward to y'all feedback.

  • #2
    There are many, many threads on the topic of spinal cord stimulators and their various successes.
    There are many failures as well that don't get the press.

    Short version:
    If you have a highly-incomplete injury, an implanted stimulator might help you stand and take steps with a walker.
    If you have a complete injury it will likely do nothing.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Mize View Post
      There are many, many threads on the topic of spinal cord stimulators and their various successes.
      There are many failures as well that don't get the press.

      Short version:
      If you have a highly-incomplete injury, an implanted stimulator might help you stand and take steps with a walker.
      If you have a complete injury it will likely do nothing.

      I agree. I am incomplete and would LOVE to try one of these. If anyone has anymore info where to get these please let me know. Is medtronic device prescription only?

      Comment


      • #4
        If a person is "highly incomplete", I would assume they can stand and take steps without an implanted device.

        Comment


        • #5
          This is not a "do-it-yourself" procedures. The device is only available by prescription, and it requires an experienced and skilled surgeon to implant.

          (KLD)
          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by wesmaister View Post
            https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...drie-1.5350117

            Check out the video. Anyone know some people that had this implanted? Their account of improvements?



            This one with Medtronic stimulator shows good results as well (where can I get one?! any electrical engineers here that can reprogram it?) https://youtu.be/9-PXt5Wm2ig?t=1067 Kelly Thomas is using this device. I'd love to try one.


            If anyone can get a medtronic device I'd buy and if anyone knows or has a know how to reprogram or alter it I'd pay you for that as well.

            Looking forward to y'all feedback.
            As mentioned, there are many threads on this subject. And results have been positive going all the way back to 2012 for epidural stim. Kate Wilette's book, "Don't call it a miracle. The movement to cure spinal cord injury", details the beginning of this treatment with the first patient. You can get a copy of the book for free on the Christopher and Dana Reeve foundation website. There is also a link to something called the "Big idea" which shows videos of others and provides more info on what's going on.

            Unfortunately, nothing is commercially available yet. There are still plenty of clinical trials here in the US. To have something done immediately, you have to leave the country, and the price tag is pretty hefty.

            One company is moving to bring a transcutaneous version of the stimulator to the market, but when that will be a reality is anybody's guess. My advice to you is to try to be part of a trial that may be happening in your area. And if you go with the TS (transcutaneous stimulator) versison there is no need for surgery at all.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
              This is not a "do-it-yourself" procedures. The device is only available by prescription, and it requires an experienced and skilled surgeon to implant.

              (KLD)

              I was thinking of a trans cutaneous simulator just to get me over the "threshold" Dr. Edgerton was discussing in his talks.

              Isn't it a same principle?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by GreaseLightning View Post
                As mentioned, there are many threads on this subject. And results have been positive going all the way back to 2012 for epidural stim. Kate Wilette's book, "Don't call it a miracle. The movement to cure spinal cord injury", details the beginning of this treatment with the first patient. You can get a copy of the book for free on the Christopher and Dana Reeve foundation website. There is also a link to something called the "Big idea" which shows videos of others and provides more info on what's going on.

                Unfortunately, nothing is commercially available yet. There are still plenty of clinical trials here in the US. To have something done immediately, you have to leave the country, and the price tag is pretty hefty.

                One company is moving to bring a transcutaneous version of the stimulator to the market, but when that will be a reality is anybody's guess. My advice to you is to try to be part of a trial that may be happening in your area. And if you go with the TS (transcutaneous stimulator) versison there is no need for surgery at all.
                Yes. I was thinking of a TS stim. Where do I get one?

                Comment


                • #9
                  BTW, the Youtube video you posted is of both women, one with the epidural stimulator implanted and the other with the transcutaneous stimulator wrapped around her midsection. The videos on the Kessler Foundation's website are better. Also, although the women are incomplete, I believe they are both motor complete. But don't quote me on that.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Im about to begin a transcutaneous stimulator study.
                    Currently being randomized between just stim or stim with locomotor training. If people are interested in progress / feedback I will be more than happy to share.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Mitchitsu View Post
                      Im about to begin a transcutaneous stimulator study.
                      Currently being randomized between just stim or stim with locomotor training. If people are interested in progress / feedback I will be more than happy to share.
                      Where is this study being done? Can you give any more info?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by tomsonite View Post
                        Where is this study being done? Can you give any more info?
                        The one I am doing is at Stony Brook University on Long Island NY. I've been waiting almost a year for it to start.

                        I began to do one at a VA in new jersey but it was just too far for me to commute so I had to drop out.

                        I also spoke to some people in Spokane Washington as well as Pennsylvania doing very similar things in the beginning trials.

                        These trials really are going on all over the country now.
                        You have to really search them out online. If I can find the original site for the one I am doing I will post it.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Mitchitsu View Post
                          Im about to begin a transcutaneous stimulator study.
                          Currently being randomized between just stim or stim with locomotor training. If people are interested in progress / feedback I will be more than happy to share.
                          Are you a grad student doing the study yourself? Would you provide more detail? I guess I'm wondering if this is a study/trial or a study looking at past trials using TS.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I've tried out the transcutaneous briefly and it had some impact on my standing stability, but I had no volitional leg movement.

                            There are ongoing trials for the transcutaneous stimulator, including some upcoming ones, so I would dig into that and see if you can get into one. If the transcutaneous does wonders for you it might mean the implanted will do even more.

                            One word of caution about implanted electrodes: the technology is progressing rather quickly and it's unlikely you will find surgeons willing to go into that tissue a third time (once for fusion, once for stimulator 1) should there be a big improvement in electrode design.

                            As such, I would definitely recommend not spending $80k in Thailand to have already-outdated technology implanted.
                            T3 complete since Sept 2015.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by GreaseLightning View Post
                              Are you a grad student doing the study yourself? Would you provide more detail? I guess I'm wondering if this is a study/trial or a study looking at past trials using TS.
                              Sorry for any confusion. No I'm not a student. I am a 44 year-old old man hurt about 3 years ago in a diving accident

                              It is a stimulation study done by a local University. 3 times per week for a few months. 10 people will get just stimulation and 10 people get stimulation while walking on a treadmill.

                              I'm trying to find the write-up of the study online on the clinical trials page but I am having a hard time finding it.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X