Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Breakthrough in spinal cord injury treatment (interview with doctor Wise Young)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to assume my bladder is about the size of an M&M right now

I really don't think any amount of walking is going to change that.

I am lucky in that I can stand up on my own now.
    I would definitely think upper body strength is going to be a big part of that.

Keep in mind, the people were able to walk in a straight line. But the mechanics behind it might have had more to do with walking patterns in the spine. According to Dr. Wise volitional movement of the muscles did not come back at all. Which is extremely concerning.

I'm not trying to be a downer. It is potential progress. But people definitely need to temper their expectations.

Actually people need to temper their expectations two fold. The first expectation is this ever getting done considering it's been teased for so many years already it's almost ridiculous. And that is pre-covid. The second is what they are able to really accomplish...

Comment

Yes Mitchitsu, i don't expect any miracles. I think the bladder/bowel recovery would be short lived if someone is not able to achieve some leg recovery (eg. stand on their own). Having to completely suspend your entire lifeless body and two people on hand for the rest of your existence to move your body is not a sustainable solution to retain bowel/bladder function etc. And some folks did not gain anything from the therapy...it can happen.

Comment

Interesting, but with no future imo. Lets be honest, 6-6-6 is some sort of pro-athlete training program, imposible to achieve for average people with life/job. You need to left your job, sacrifice friends/family time and invest a lot of money and effort, and for what? Walking like a robot with a lot of help at best? No sensory return, no hands/arms in quads, nothing that can change the SCI reality.
        HOC NON PEREO HABEBO FORTIOR ME

Comment

Very interesting and useful information. A lot of weighty opinions and views that I haven't thought about before. It was informative, thank you

Comment

I Wonder what made StemCyte decide to discontinue sponsorship to this 'breakthrough'...
            "Talk without the support of action means nothing..."
            ― DaShanne Stokes

***Unite(D) to Fight Paralyses***

Comment

Originally posted by Moe View Post
              I Wonder what made StemCyte decide to discontinue sponsorship to this 'breakthrough'...
              They are doing in in Taiwan where it is much, much cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post

They are doing in in Taiwan where it is much, much cheaper.
                You mean that ​​​they're sponsoring the upcoming trial in Taiwan?
                "Talk without the support of action means nothing..."
                ― DaShanne Stokes

***Unite(D) to Fight Paralyses***

Comment

They couldn't raise enough money to fund the trial in the US so they are doing it in Taiwan.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
                    They couldn't raise enough money to fund the trial in the US so they are doing it in Taiwan.
                    I spent 6 months in hospitals in Taiwan. The level of excellence was high and the nursing care, in particular, was outstanding. Equipment and facilities are older but the quality of care I received there was superior to what I find here, though I have not been privileged to use the sett SCI facilities in the US. Nor was I in the best facilities there.

We should have high confidence in any results coming from Taiwanese research.

Comment

In fact, there are a lot of nuances in this issue.

Comment

Working...
                      X