Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Euro news oct 5, dr shakespeare and exoskeleton

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Euro news oct 5, dr shakespeare and exoskeleton

    Caught an interesting clip about this researcher in France regarding tetraplegia and the experimental use of brain implants tied to exoskeletons in France.
    I guess the short description speaks for itself, it must be google-able, but is this the direction of research we all hoped for?

    #2
    Not cure. Remediation at best. If it ever gets to the market, it will likely not be covered by insurance and be horribly expensive. It also does not address the other effects of SCI, such as loss of sensation, bowel/bladder/sexual dysfunction, etc. etc. etc.

    https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/vi...-walk-66068463

    (KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
      Not cure. Remediation at best. If it ever gets to the market, it will likely not be covered by insurance and be horribly expensive. It also does not address the other effects of SCI, such as loss of sensation, bowel/bladder/sexual dysfunction, etc. etc. etc.

      https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/vi...-walk-66068463

      (KLD)
      This is what people always seem to forget. These exoskeletons are mind-blowing feats of engineering, but will never enable someone with an SCI to work as a deisel truck mechanic on a hot summer or cold winter day...

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by tomsonite View Post
        This is what people always seem to forget. These exoskeletons are mind-blowing feats of engineering, but will never enable someone with an SCI to work as a deisel truck mechanic on a hot summer or cold winter day...
        Like
        In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

        Comment


          #5
          I'm not sure that the manufacturers are promoting them as some kind of cure. To me they are just a different mobility device - like a wheelchair.

          If there was money going to exoskeletons that could be going to cure, then I might be annoyed, but if there is I bet its a tiny amount.

          The perception by the general public is the problem. They think that person can't walk, thats all that is wrong with them. Oh look exoskeleton, that fixes everything.

          Comment


            #6
            Exoskeletons, especially with a brain interface, are a big interest of several militaries of the world. That is where much of the funding comes from and the objective is not to help paralyzed people walk, the objective is to create "super-warriors" as well as super robots. The second is easier.

            Trialing these devices is often done with people with paralysis to create a positive image. I'm not saying these folks, particularly the individual researchers working with the volunteer, do not wish to help those with paralysis. They do, and one day mind interface devices may be a big benefit to people with many medical conditions that limit strength and mobility.

            It is likely this is one step in a long path to viable cyborgs. It would also be a tool for a military pilot to control multiple missiles or jet propelled drones, so one F-35 transforms from a single jet to a whole squadron of wasp-like fighters. If researchers continue to get funding, which is never assured given how deeply in debt many governments are, it will happen. Generals read science fiction, too, you know.

            Comment


              #7
              This post should be moved to ''what's new at MIT robot-lab'' forum.

              Originally posted by Tetracyclone View Post
              Exoskeletons, especially with a brain interface, are a big interest of several militaries of the world. That is where much of the funding comes from and the objective is not to help paralyzed people walk, the objective is to create "super-warriors" as well as super robots. The second is easier.

              Trialing these devices is often done with people with paralysis to create a positive image. I'm not saying these folks, particularly the individual researchers working with the volunteer, do not wish to help those with paralysis. They do, and one day mind interface devices may be a big benefit to people with many medical conditions that limit strength and mobility.

              It is likely this is one step in a long path to viable cyborgs. It would also be a tool for a military pilot to control multiple missiles or jet propelled drones, so one F-35 transforms from a single jet to a whole squadron of wasp-like fighters. If researchers continue to get funding, which is never assured given how deeply in debt many governments are, it will happen. Generals read science fiction, too, you know.
              Don't have an MIT ROBO-LAB forum?
              I mean the ROBO-COP concept is still being chased after?
              hmm, there were reports that Stalin actually tried mating a gorilla with a woman in attempting to create a new soldier.
              how about that?

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Tim C. View Post
                Don't have an MIT ROBO-LAB forum?
                I mean the ROBO-COP concept is still being chased after?
                hmm, there were reports that Stalin actually tried mating a gorilla with a woman in attempting to create a new soldier.
                how about that?
                Are you volunteering to experiment with the female gorilla?

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Tetracyclone View Post
                  Are you volunteering to experiment with the female gorilla?
                  based on my avatar how do you know my mom didn't?
                  beat you to it everyone.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X