Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Once Paralyzed, Three Men Take Steps Again With Spinal Implant (Gregoire Courtine)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Once Paralyzed, Three Men Take Steps Again With Spinal Implant (Gregoire Courtine)

    Once Paralyzed, Three Men Take Steps Again With Spinal Implant

    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/31/h...section=Health

    I followed Dr. Gregoire Courtine,, since my accident and I was wondering what he was doing with his clinical trial. They just published it in Nature.

  • #2
    He was Dr. Edgerton's student and then he went to Europe and worked on with different implant.

    Comment


    • #3
      Impressive,

      Comment


      • #4
        Its impressive as in, wow look what they did. The problem is that its not applicable or widely useful to everyone, and if this is the best that can happen it won't ever be.

        I wish the research community would focus on using stimulation to solve the problems from the top down. Breathing, hand function, bbs, then look at legs.

        Comment


        • #5
          Here is more: https://www.wingsforlife.com/en/late...ing-tall-3686/

          Comment


          • #6
            Has anyone been able to ascertain their injury levels and ASIA scores?

            Kinda matters.
            T3 complete since Sept 2015.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Mize View Post
              Has anyone been able to ascertain their injury levels and ASIA scores?

              Kinda matters.
              Nature Publications
              Targeted neurotechnology restores walking in humans with spinal cord injury, Nature, Nov.
              1st, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1038/s41586-018-0649-2 Better full access link;

              Electrical spinal cord stimulation must preserve proprioception to enable locomotion in
              humans with spinal cord injury, Nature Neuroscience, Nov. 1st, 2018,
              https://doi.org/10.1038/s41593-018-0262-6
              http://spinalcordresearchandadvocacy.wordpress.com/

              Comment


              • #8
                This is nice to see. But these guys had some or all sensation in their legs. If they had no sensation they'd fall to the floor or be holding all their body weight with their arms. It would be great if they can use this in the bladder nerves to help urinate so that catheters wouldn't be needed, thus no/fewer UTI's.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Walking again after spinal cord injury (2) - longer video with patients' tesimonies



                  Published on 31 Oct 2018
                  Three patients with chronic paraplegia were able to walk over ground thanks to precise electrical stimulation of their spinal cords via a wireless implant. In a double study published in Nature and Nature Neuroscience, Swiss scientists Gr?goire Courtine (EPFL and CHUV/Unil) and Jocelyne Bloch (CHUV/Unil) show that, after a few months of training, the patients were able to control previously paralyzed leg muscles even in the absence of electrical stimulation.

                  www.epfl.ch
                  www.chuv.ch

                  See also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFXWR...


                  NEWS 31 OCTOBER 2018 Nature


                  Three people with spinal-cord injuries regain control of their leg muscles


                  But researchers caution that the technique is in its early stages and has been demonstrated only in people with residual motor function.

                  https://www.nature.com/articles/d415...0-7ce4d85fcf43
                  Find us on Facebook using inclined bed therapy as a search term.
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Nowhere Man View Post
                    This is nice to see. But these guys had some or all sensation in their legs. If they had no sensation they'd fall to the floor or be holding all their body weight with their arms. It would be great if they can use this in the bladder nerves to help urinate so that catheters wouldn't be needed, thus no/fewer UTI's.
                    Why do you think they wouldn't be able to walk without sensation in their legs? I know some incompletes that walk but have no sensation.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I hope that Dr. Courtine comes to the next u2fp and tells us what he is planning for the future.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by GRAMMY View Post
                        Nature Publications
                        Targeted neurotechnology restores walking in humans with spinal cord injury, Nature, Nov.
                        1st, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1038/s41586-018-0649-2 Better full access link;

                        Electrical spinal cord stimulation must preserve proprioception to enable locomotion in
                        humans with spinal cord injury, Nature Neuroscience, Nov. 1st, 2018,
                        https://doi.org/10.1038/s41593-018-0262-6

                        Thanks Grammy. I still couldn't find any details on injury level or ASIA, but perhaps that's a limitation of using a phone.
                        T3 complete since Sept 2015.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Above the link of the study. Note: … Inclusion Criteria:Incomplete SCI graded as AIS C & D..

                          https://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/s...jury&recrs=abc

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Here ya go-
                            Attached Files

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Thanks.
                              T3 complete since Sept 2015.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X