Stew in China May 11, 2004

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stew,
    Have a safe trip home. I will be thinking of you the whole 13 hours! Your a brave man Stew and your updates have been so inspiring. Pls keep in touch - and your writings are far from boring. Keep up the good work. Thanks. KO

Comment

The trip home took over 26 hours due to delays in Chicago. We were taken to the airport by car and ambulance with 2 doctors and a nurse. They paid all our fees for us and saw to it the skycaps would get us where we needed to be. Sitting on the American Eagle seat for over 4 hours due to thunder storms caused skin break down on my rear end. Plus I got a major headcold with pure exhaustion. I slept all of Friday, sat up briefly Saturday, 5 hours Sunday and today actually doing things. Now for changes, as mentioned, the hands are still looser with right hand outer three fingers moving better. My left pec muscle can now be flexed, the rib muscles that assist breathing are back to full function, for the last 2 weeks I can urinate completely anytime I wish, my leg muscles are stronger. Negative results. None.
      Now I hope to focus on improving these items and getting more. I will try to post updates at the beginning of each month and will always answer questions.

Comment

Hey Stew, glad to hear your home, and that things are improving. we're all hoping for positive updates. i heard from one of the students, she said you were a nice guy, but i corrected her on that. [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you."
        Gandolf the Gray
        http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

Comment

OK Leo, you have me wondering which nurse I had fooled?

Comment

Blood work at the local hospital confirmed I brought home a CDS viral infection. For the last three weeks I have been fighting this. I have been in bed and the bathroom since I have been home. It will be nice to get past this and get to theraphy.

Comment

Stew,
              I am sorry to hear your feeling so down. Do you think your resistance was low and you were just exposed to too many people not only in Beijing but throughout the airports? This happened to me once coming in from another country following a 4 hour plain delay. The air exchange was stale until we got off the ground. Two questions for you. Do you have anything to add to Tims experiencing pain in his legs post surgery and have you heard anything from the ackerman's on how Chris is doing?

MERCO

Comment

Hey Stew, Carol is her name. Sorry about bug. I did have bout with diarrhea on trip home and for a week but all hospital test came back negative. Started packing in grilled cheese sandwiches, did the trick. [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Stew or Chris did shower chair make it?

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you."
                Gandolf the Gray
                http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

Comment

The shower chair was supposedly shipped but had not arrived by the time we left. I have not heard how Chris did on his return home but I too am wondering. I think I got this bug one week after surgery. That is when the bathroom boogie began and has continued since. Hopefully the antibiotics are about to get the upper hand. Leo, Carol and Bird are our adopted Chinese daughters. They are two very sweet young ladies.

Comment

now it this surgerie to make stew walk agin if so i want in on this [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Krazyone, this surgery has been shown to improve sensation in some patients by 2-4 dermatomes and motor control by 1-2 levels. It is not a cure. Extent of return may be enhanced if followed by intensive physical therapy.

Comment

stew, are you having the neurogenic pain others who have had the surgery are having. that makes me nervous, ive never had pain in 17 years
                        Bike-on.com rep
                        John@bike-on.com
                        c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
                        sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

I have had no real pain other than burning in my legs before or after surgery. Even after surgery I had no great pain but I do not think this is normal. Chris and Hiro had alot of pain. As for walking, I have seen very little improvement in my leg muscles and the movement has very little use. Not close to walking. The viral infection continues to limit my time sitting up each day.

Comment

Originally posted by Stew:

I have had no real pain other than burning in my legs before or after surgery. Even after surgery I had no great pain but I do not think this is normal. Chris and Hiro had alot of pain. As for walking, I have seen very little improvement in my leg muscles and the movement has very little use. Not close to walking. The viral infection continues to limit my time sitting up each day.
                            how do u get a viral infection. also when u feel better will u begin intense rehab
                            Bike-on.com rep
                            John@bike-on.com
                            c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
                            sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

My first real update since being home. The viral infection seems to be past. I think I got it from the food. The bladder has returned to preoperation so now no real change. Bowel feels different when I go and is not as good as before operation but I can tell in the last two days it is returning back to before. My hands are still less tight giving me more finger mobility. The chest muscles are still better. I will begin theraphy in ST Louis July 12 with evaluation. I hope to do suspended weight treadmill with robotic leg braces, FES bike and weights. My legs tingle and burn lightly but I still have no pain before or after the operation.

Comment

This week I have returned to out patient theraphy in ST Louis. Weight supported robotic leg brace for an hour. Prior to the session I do an hour on the FES bike and then work out on various weight exercises for 20 minutes. My hands continue to be slightly more functional since China. My chest muscles are better and leg spasms remain less especially at night which allows me to sleep much better.

Comment

Working...
                                X