No announcement yet.

Reality about cure of SCI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thats really interesting, I hope they are going to carry on the work.
    I imagine it would still need Chondroitinase/CSPG/etc to allow the axons to grow past the scar. But you're right this is another piece that disproves the original topic.

Comment

Originally posted by BSgimp View Post
      To Whom It May Concern,

we are decades away from anything close to an effective therapy that promotes neurological recovery of chronic spinal cord injury.

If you visit this forum frequently hoping one day you will find a miracle cure. Stop wasting your time.
      If you are considering going to some unregulated stem cell therapy clinic. Stop, you are wasting your money/time and taking a risk for nothing.
      If you are here cause you saw some sensationalized article title claiming mouse with SCI is running a marathon. Stop and click away. You have been fooled and you are wasting your time.
      If you consider any invasive procedure to use some untested on humans device to stand for a couple minutes. Stop, and think about the risks you are taking. And the benefit you might/might not get.

The best thing we can do at this point is to move on with our lives. Be the most productive we can be. And support researchers we believe can have the biggest impact in the future. Our best hope is in a combination of everything that in on the horizon. The horizon that is far more distant than we realize.
      It's like living your life waiting to win the lottery... if you're doing that you're stupid because the odds are not in your favor... spend your time LIVING your life as best you can... and if you luck out and win the lottery all the better... but don't count on it.

Comment

Originally posted by niallel View Post
        Thats really interesting, I hope they are going to carry on the work.
        I imagine it would still need Chondroitinase/CSPG/etc to allow the axons to grow past the scar.
        Not really. The PTEN gene work disproves that assumption.
        http://spinalcordresearchandadvocacy.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by GRAMMY View Post
          Not really. The PTEN gene work disproves that assumption.
          Thats interesting. I was thinking that because I was told when the Renetx stuff was tested with chase it worked much better.

Comment

Originally posted by Mize View Post
            I was actually thinking of this one from Grammy's site:
            https://spinalcordresearchandadvocac...d-nerve-cells/

https://www.cell.com/cell-reports/fulltext/S2211-1247(18)30403-0
            Yes, that is the paper on gene sorting which was the premise of the gene screening for neural axon regeneration (Strittmatter) that I thought we were referring to. Hundreds of genes have been implicated in axon regeneration and should be properly screened for their therapeutic potential. Several really good labs are working hard in this research area. Many of them are cited in the paper.

Originally posted by niallel View Post
            Thats interesting. I was thinking that because I was told when the Renetx stuff was tested with chase it worked much better.
            https://www.renetx.com/publications.html

Whereas, this Renetx stuff is a pharmalogical blockade with antibodies against the Nogo receptor. It would make sense to combine Chondroitinase with a NoGo Trap therapeutic. Basically it's signalling protein on neuron receptors.

(KO of the PTEN gene required no Chondroitinase to quickly grow rivers of axons over CSPG). Axons on steroids....
            Last edited by GRAMMY; 24 Oct 2018, 1:39 AM.
            http://spinalcordresearchandadvocacy.wordpress.com/

Comment

And here come a whole lot more worldwide:

https://www.cdc.gov/acute-flaccid-my...veillance.html

Resembles what I had at 12.
              Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Originally posted by GRAMMY View Post

Whereas, this Renetx stuff is a pharmalogical blockade with antibodies against the Nogo receptor. It would make sense to combine Chondroitinase with a NoGo Trap therapeutic. Basically it's signalling protein on neuron receptors.

(KO of the PTEN gene required no Chondroitinase to quickly grow rivers of axons over CSPG). Axons on steroids....
                Thanks Grammy, that really helps with understanding the differences. I'd tried to read the PTEN gene study, but it was far too complicated for me to even understand the odd sentance.

Comment

Maybe.

Throughout the body, nerves repair just fine. It's only in the spinal cord and brain that they do not repair themselves. In rats, a recent study deleted a single dna sequence and nerve regrowth was restored in those rats' spinal cords.

If there's going to be a near-term "cure" for SCI it's going to be something like this. Even then, once new nerves grow and reconnect you're essentially a funking 9 month old baby learning to move its limbs again...LOTS of PT if you're ever going to relearn those connections from scratch.
                  I used to send articles to my Dr. about Rats being cured. His answer was "too bad your not a lab rat".
                  ^^(A)^^

Comment

Maybe.

Throughout the body, nerves repair just fine. It's only in the spinal cord and brain that they do not repair themselves. In rats, a recent study deleted a single dna sequence and nerve regrowth was restored in those rats' spinal cords.

If there's going to be a near-term "cure" for SCI it's going to be something like this. Even then, once new nerves grow and reconnect you're essentially a funking 9 month old baby learning to move its limbs again...LOTS of PT if you're ever going to relearn those connections from scratch.
                    Not necessarily from scratch since a strong synchrony between CNS maturation and structural or anatomical development already exists. Essentially, you are re-training a fully developed CNS (including brain) that already has complex motor patterns ingrained in the system. Effective activation sequencing coupled with a comprehensive training program should significantly bend the learning curve.
                    Know Thyself

Comment

Originally posted by darty View Post
                      I used to send articles to my Dr. about Rats being cured. His answer was "too bad your not a lab rat".
                      Rats get all the love.
                      T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Comment

My son said it the best way I could ever explain it! When God is ready for me to walk I will! Who can argue with that! If you?re a smart person with negative opinions I suggest you keep them to yourself!

Comment

Wake up people! I'm 40 years post in March '19. It's finally done. Exciting times!
                          World-wide Approval in 2021
                          . We then will start Phase III trials to provide market approval in the United States, Europe, India, and China. The goal is to obtain world-wide regulatory approval for the first therapy that restores walking in people with chronic spinal cord injury. Not only will this enable insurance coverage, but it is the only way to dispel the pessimism and skepticism that has dominated the field and achieve consensus that there are safe and effective regenerative therapies to restore meaningful function in people with chronic severe spinal cord injury.

Comment

Those of us who have been hearing the "In five years" BS for close to 50 years don't consider them negative opinions; Just realistic.

Comment

Originally posted by mississippi View Post
                              My son said it the best way I could ever explain it! When God is ready for me to walk I will! Who can argue with that! If you?re a smart person with negative opinions I suggest you keep them to yourself!
                              Sorry but I just can’t help myself))
                              So God doesn’t want your son and everybody else to walk? )

Comment

The latest ChABC + oNPCs paper is out and the results, provided the can be repeated and extended to multiple treatments in humans, are huge news for younger SCIs. This was an animal study where a single treatment (2 injections one week apart) measurably and statistically improved function in rats that were 6 weeks post injury. It's a very thorough paper.

Too bad I'm not younger as this could be something in 20 years.
                                T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Comment

Working...
                                X