Wise Young shows CNS regeneration using umbilical cord blood mononuclear cells

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lunasicc42 View Post
    What do I think... Yes. I think the human slides showing regeneration Trump animal studies looking to confirm the same thing. Now I am questioning if 'mere' spinal cord regeneration alone correlates to functional recovery without a rehab factor... That is slowly becoming a question for me now that wise Apparently already thought of
    No imaging technology available today is powerful enough to show spinal tracts in humans.

But if you think the images of "some white matter" give you evidence of regenerated tracts then why isn't this all over the news? Especially when animal studies showing non-functional regeneration of spinal tracts get front page news! Do you not ever wonder this?

I am not going to give you answer but I am sure you can read between the lines - I hope.

Comment

I "conveniently" left it out of my mind or honestly wasn't aware that no imaging technology is powerful enough to show 'spinal tracts' in humans. I am admittedly a novice on the highly technical jargon. When I read that "fiber bundles" are growing, I don't know the difference between that and "spinal tracts"... Please school me (not being sarcastic)
      Last edited by lunasicc42; 27 Nov 2017, 11:07 PM.
      "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
      Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Comment

Originally posted by Fly_Pelican_Fly View Post
        No imaging technology available today is powerful enough to show spinal tracts in humans.
        Is this fact or just your opinion? Serious question, excuse my ignorance.

Comment

Is this what you are talking about? (Note: this image has nothing to do with/nor any association to Wise Young and or this UCBMC study. Just something I found on the web)

Comment

Here is Jerry Silver's post re DTI being able to show regeneration:
            /forum/showthread.php?139662-ChinaSCINet-Update&p=1546642&viewfull=1#post1546642

And here is Wise Young's response:
            /forum/showthread.php?139662-ChinaSCINet-Update&p=1546779&viewfull=1#post1546779

We are submitting a manuscript reporting our study of 8 spinal-injured subjects before and after umbilical cord blood mononuclear cell transplants, 8 normal subjects, and several untreated complete and incomplete spinal cord injury, correlating the DTI findings with neurological examinations. The best time for this discussion would be after we have submitted the work for publication although I would be very happy to share the data with you privately. Based on the data, I believe that MR DTI will be very useful for detecting white matter regrowth chronic spinal cord injury. I obviously cannot talk about this data in a public forum until it has been accepted in a peer-review journal.

Wise

Maybe Jim has access to this manuscript now as 5 years have passed since that post?

Comment

... Calling Jimbo...

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Comment

bump... Jim

Comment

Yes, @Jim , pls update us on what the great humanitarian Wise Young is up to with Mononuclear cord blood implantation.

Consider there was a study done in 2013 using cord blood stem cells (note: not as intensive as below & above injury site implementation of mononuclear cord blood as Wise is doing) had positive results:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4146127/

In this study, 25 patients with traumatic spinal cord injury (injury time > 6 months) were treated with human umbilical cord blood stem cells via intravenous and intrathecal injection. The follow-up period was 12 months after transplantation. Results found that autonomic nerve functions were restored and the latent period of somatosensory evoked potentials was reduced. There were no severe adverse reactions in patients following stem cell transplantation. These experimental findings suggest that the transplantation of human umbilical cord blood stem cells is a safe and effective treatment for patients with traumatic spinal cord injury.

The stem cell treatment group comprised 9 females and 16 males, 5 (20%) of which were quadriplegic and 20 (80%) were paraplegic. Through regular and MRI examinations, there were no severe complications, neoplasm or aggravated neurological symptoms shown. Three (12%) patients had fever after infusion of stem cells; their body temperature was maintained at 37?38?C, there were no abnormities in the levels of white blood cells and the fever was retained for less than 24 hours. The fever could be controlled by physical hypothermia. There was no statistically significant difference in terms of complication rates between the paraplegic and the quadriplegic patients (P > 0.05).
                  Improvements of neurological function in patients with spinal cord injury after human umbilical cord blood stem cell transplantation (Table 2)

Table 2

The amount and percentage of patients [n (%)] with improvements in different functions after human umbilical cord blood stem cell transplantation

At 12 months after stem cell therapy, 4 patients (16 %) showed improvements in American Spinal Cord Injury Association score: one case was cervical spinal cord injury, two cases were thoracic spinal cord injury, and one case was lumbar spinal cord injury. Spasm decreased in seven patients (28%) after stem cell therapy, including three cases with cervical spinal cord injury and four cases with thoracic spinal cord injury. Eight patients (32%) had improved autonomic function after stem cell therapy, including two cases with cervical spinal cord injury, four cases with thoracic spinal cord injury, and two cases with lumbar spinal cord injury. Six patients (24%) had improved urinary function after stem cell therapy, including one case with cervical spinal cord injury, three cases with thoracic spinal cord injury, and two cases with lumbar spinal cord injury (Table 2, Figure 1). Nine patients (36%) had improved somatosensory evoked potential tests after stem cell therapy, including two cases with cervical spinal cord injury, five cases with thoracic spinal cord injury, and two cases with lumbar spinal cord injury (Table 2).

We are now in 2018 and this treatment is not available. Which begs the question, why?
                  Last edited by Pauly1; 24 Feb 2018, 4:03 AM.

Comment

Looks like this treatment may be available within 90 days. As posted here:

Originally posted by lunasicc42 View Post
                    so where exactly are we in the process of getting scinetusa up and recruiting ... What exact step are we waiting on and Whats next

Originally posted by Jim View Post
                    When we get the ok from the FDA (within 90 days) I will post instructions how to apply. You will apply directly to the hospital performing the surgery.

Comment

That doesn't make it "available". That just allows them the option to conduct that specific study. Who knows how long it'll take to train, recruit, etc. Still though, it's a step forward. Lots of pun intended.

Comment

Working...
                      X