Why Don't We Have a Cure for Spinal Cord Injury? 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    We've been asking the "When" question since I was first injured in 1973. Care is much better than it was back then but getting closer to a cure; not so much. I do hope it happens but when you hear the "in two-seven years there will be" from docs and researchers, they've been saying that for over 40 years.
    LOL! I didn't want to be the first to say that! There's always one in these threads. At least.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
      The complete quads now living independently would strongly disagree with you. You simply don't know what you are talking about.
      Luna, there was no return of arm/hand/finger function. In the IIB trials these will be exercised to see if function returns.
      So how does that work?

Comment

Originally posted by lynnifer View Post
        LOL! I didn't want to be the first to say that! There's always one in these threads. At least.
        I’m waiting for the results of the head transplant which is set to occur in December. The results from the Stanford stroke clinical trial are pretty promising too.

Comment

Originally posted by lynnifer View Post
          I didn't mean to be disrespectful and was just my turn to be the first to say it lol. There are those that sit around and do nothing thinking the cure will come any day. Thing is one must be prepared, in reasonable condition and be able to pay for the "fix" when it comes. I'm 44 years post and still work out religiously in preparation of the "fix".

I feel in many ways, those of us that were injured so many years ago had it better. We got longer and more intensive rehab coming out better prepared for life. We were also told there was no cure and won't be one in our lifetime so get on with life. So far they were correct.

Comment

33yrs ago and was told there was faint hope, not a solid no ... but I completely agree with your second statement! In 'our day' it was survival at all costs and fiercely independent.

Not so anymore. Not sure if that's good or bad ... but I regret there was no 'standing' in my day nor FES.
            Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Things were different back then. No one worried about ruining one's shoulders because usually few lived long enough to wear them out. The technology and advancements today compared to just a few years ago,blow me away. I trust the cure research is advancing as well.

Comment

Seriously I don't care about walking ever again... I just want my hands to work

Comment

Originally posted by Natto View Post
                  Seriously I don't care about walking ever again... I just want my hands to work

Same
                  "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
                  Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Comment

Originally posted by Silvio GS View Post
                    So how does that work?

Valid question

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Comment

if I had a wish it would be that someone would incorporate UCB, detethering and epidural stim all together as a combination therapy... See how that works... Does anyone know if any researchers are interested in this route

Comment

Is this a real question?
                        I didn't know cure would have a specific nationality?
                        Originally posted by Sparky831 View Post
                        Paolo what is Italy doing to cure SCI?
                        Dennis Tesolat
                        www.StemCellsandAtomBombs.blogspot.com

"Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom."
                        Martin Luther King

Comment

I've heard this comment before, I think it was actually by you in the past too, so I guess I'm going to the right place with this question.
                          I'm interested to know what cures were being touted back then and which scientists were saying there would be a cure. Was it rumour or were there scientists with research in hand saying that they could cure paralysis?

We've been asking the "When" question since I was first injured in 1973. Care is much better than it was back then but getting closer to a cure; not so much. I do hope it happens but when you hear the "in two-seven years there will be" from docs and researchers, they've been saying that for over 40 years.
                          Dennis Tesolat
                          www.StemCellsandAtomBombs.blogspot.com

"Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom."
                          Martin Luther King

Comment

Do you know what a SCIM Score is?
                            Yes.
                            I am sorry if I have been too provocative on this subject. Let's just agree to disagree on UCB cells.

Paolo
                            In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Comment

I like this post as people need to realize that to cure SCI turned out to be a much more complex problem than researchers use to think in the past.
                              Fortunately, now there are research tools that were unthinkable 10 years ago and more will be available soon to crack down the complexity of the problem and solve it.

No one can tell when a cure will be found, but in my opinion now it really looks more possible than ever and the SCI community should act to help making it happen sooner.
                              Probably the SCI community needs a leader organization to drive proper actions.
                              Unfortunately, in my opinion, such organization does not exist at the moment...

Paolo
                              In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Comment

Originally posted by paolocipolla View Post
                                I like this post as people need to realize that to cure SCI turned out to be a much more complex problem than researchers use to think in the past.
                                Fortunately, now there are research tools that were unthinkable 10 years ago and more will be available soon to crack down the complexity of the problem and solve it.

No one can tell when a cure will be found, but in my opinion now it really looks more possible than ever and the SCI community should act to help making it happen sooner.
                                Probably the SCI community needs a leader organization to drive proper actions.
                                Unfortunately, in my opinion, such organization does not exist at the moment...

Paolo
                                This is a great post.

Comment

Working...
                                X