Paralyzed man surprises scientists by standing and moving on his own

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StemCells&AtomBombs View Post
    Does anyone know where I could find more about BBS in this trial? Believe me, I have looked
    There aren't BBS studies. Harkema doesn't work in the urology field. The primary focus of her work is studying the plasticity of the human lumbosacral spinal cord during locomotor training.

Autonomic functions simply are not mentioned in this latest published paper at all.
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 10-29-2017, 02:59 PM.
    http://spinalcordresearchandadvocacy.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Silvio GS View Post
      This is really great news, but what annoys me is the amount of trials they have to do before getting it to the people who really needs something now, it takes too long. I know the tech still needs to be perfected , but if it's already proven to be safe and that it can help to a certain degree, why wait?! Just bring it out and it will get perfected even quicker....
      It is out and being perfected. Dr. Justin Brown implants them along with other's overseas. His video's have been posted. One person here has had the implant and posted before about it. https://www.carecure.net/forum/showt...25#post1797625 (alhavel)

http://neurosurgery.ucsd.edu/justin-brown-md/
      Last edited by GRAMMY; 10-28-2017, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GRAMMY View Post
        It is out. Dr. Justin Brown implants them along with other's overseas. His video's have been posted.
        Do you have a link Grammy?

Comment

I was very excited about es but I have talked to rob sommers on facebook some and the stuff he reported was alright but honestly somewhat of a let down and using those subjective words that I have come to HATE, like; I "feel" like I can hold my bladder a little longer
          "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
          Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Comment

Originally posted by lunasicc42 View Post
            I was very excited about es but I have talked to rob sommers on facebook some and the stuff he reported was alright but honestly somewhat of a let down and using those subjective words that I have come to HATE, like; I "feel" like I can hold my bladder a little longer
            It may be different if they were actually targeting the return of bladder function. Here in the locomotor lab, they aren't targeting bowel, bladder and sexual function but rather standing and stepping. These discussions were initial observations that trial participants have noticed and reported to the researchers.

Comment

It may be different if they were actually targeting the return of bladder function. Here in the locomotor lab, they aren't targeting bowel, bladder and sexual function but rather standing and stepping. These discussions were initial observations that trial participants have noticed and reported to the researchers.

Fair enough... I just noticed that I was with the "implant me NOW" crowd but now I am seeing and accepting that more studying is necessary

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Comment

None of the original four have adapted it to their lives. Justin Shillcox was just showing everyone how to go up an escalator in a wheelchair. Hello 90’s.

Starting to think it’s junk science.
                Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Originally posted by lynnifer View Post
                  None of the original four have adapted it to their lives. Justin Shillcox was just showing everyone how to go up an escalator in a wheelchair. Hello 90’s.

Starting to think it’s junk science.

Yeah I watched that video and technically it had nothing to do with what a patient could do post-op versus pre-op... Merely an adaptive way that any ballsy para could ride an escalator regardless still in the wheelchair ... So I dunno bout that one or if he is not allowed to speak on unpublished data yet, or what

Comment

She's not a builder either but still works in a building🤣. I guess you'd have to employ a urologist.
                    Not doing the BBS studies when they made such a big deal about it with first four and knowing the importance to the community is rather irresponsible in my mind.
                    And now repeating the claim with latest release but still failing to study it adds insult to injury. I don't blame them for not monitoring it for the first four because they said they were surprised, but failing to do it now leaves scratching my head.

There aren't BBS studies. Harkema doesn't work in the urology field. The primary focus of her work is studying the plasticity of the human lumbosacral spinal cord during locomotor training.
                    Dennis Tesolat
                    www.StemCellsandAtomBombs.blogspot.com

"Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom."
                    Martin Luther King

Comment

Help please.
                      Because this JUST came out in the news I assumed that this was about new subjects, not the original four people. But after reading more and more, it looks like the article is about the original four.
                      What I don't understand is; is it the original four after the initial research four or five years ago, or is it extra research on how they've progressed since then? Every time I think it's the latter, I read something that makes me think it's the former, and visa versa.
                      Maybe I'm just not used to reading as much as I once did, but I can't figure it out. I'll keep reading and maybe answer my own question.

UPDATE: I think I get it now. This story and the paper is about one of the original four guys, after he did further training at home then lab, then home then lab again. Am I correct?
                      Last edited by StemCells&AtomBombs; 10-29-2017, 02:54 AM.
                      Dennis Tesolat

"Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom."
                      Martin Luther King

Comment

I believe so Dennis. That's a lot of rehab in 9yrs and to what end?
                        Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

That's what I was thinking because if it takes that long (I don't think it was 9 years, was it?) just to move your legs voluntarily but not walk, I'm much more interested in the BBS which they noticed when they studied it originally. But I hope to hear other people's interpretations. I would like to be wrong in this case.
                          Dennis Tesolat

Martin Luther King

Comment

It is out and being perfected. Dr. Justin Brown implants them along with other's overseas. His video's have been posted. One person here has had the implant and posted before about it. https://www.carecure.net/forum/showt...25#post1797625 (alhavel)

http://neurosurgery.ucsd.edu/justin-brown-md/
                            When you say implants them overseas, do you mean he is implementing them for paying customers in countries where the regulations allow?

I can imagine what your view on this would be, but its something that I would be interested in until the NRT internal device is available.

Comment

Originally posted by niallel View Post
                              When you say implants them overseas, do you mean he is implementing them for paying customers in countries where the regulations allow?

I can imagine what your view on this would be, but its something that I would be interested in until the NRT internal device is available.
                              Sorry Niallel, I believe you misunderstand my word meaning of "along" in the sentence. I meant it to be used as "also or additionally".
                              1. Dr. Justin Brown has implanted the Medtronic pain device here in the USA for SCI. (I don't know anything about his customers origin or regulations).
                              Also or in addition to that...
                              2. Others have implanted the Medtronic pain device outside the USA for SCI. (Usually that is sold to customers as part of an unproven stem cell package for large sums of money).

Comment

Originally posted by StemCells&AtomBombs View Post
                                Help please.
                                Because this JUST came out in the news I assumed that this was about new subjects, not the original four people. But after reading more and more, it looks like the article is about the original four.
                                What I don't understand is; is it the original four after the initial research four or five years ago, or is it extra research on how they've progressed since then? Every time I think it's the latter, I read something that makes me think it's the former, and visa versa.
                                Maybe I'm just not used to reading as much as I once did, but I can't figure it out. I'll keep reading and maybe answer my own question.

UPDATE: I think I get it now. This story and the paper is about one of the original four guys, after he did further training at home then lab, then home then lab again. Am I correct?
                                I think Kate Willette does a great job HERE of explaining the paper.

Comment

Working...
                                X