No announcement yet.

Updates of my results after Dr. Lima's procedure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had my physio in Calgary at the Talismen Centre it was then Lindsay Park. The physio was Paul Colebrook he has a ton of SCI expierence and was insturmental in getting me walking with AFO's. He moved his practice to Ottawa so maybe it would be worth talking to him.

I felt that it was 70% of the physios attitude to help and 30% of the available equipment. Just my 2 cents.

His new practice is called Riverside Physio, tell him Jim from Calgary that was in an airplane crash sent you and you will get a free t-shirt!!!!

Jim

Comment

So here's where I am now. I had my assessment with my new physiotherapist. This particular therapist teaches most of the other therapists here in Canada that deal with SCI so I think I'm in good hands. During our visit this past Wednesday she got me iniciate(sp) flickers in my toes, to press down with my foot and stand with NO braces. Ofcoarse she had to assist me to stand. While standing she got me to bend at the knees and then try and straighten up again. She mentioned that she had to help about 30% and wasn't quite sure exactly what muscles I was useing to stand back up again. It wasn't my arms as they were resting on her shoulders to ensure not to compensate and use them. Our plan is to do a full month straight and reassess then take it from there. Time will tell what will happen.

I need to do some more venting while I'm here. My insurance cut me off from physio, said I had enough so I guess the physio will be out of pocket which will be costly as I live five hours away from her so that means a hotel plus her $100 per/hr. I don't have time to fight insurance so I'll just keep reciepts and fight them after the fact. There always seems to be someone there to kick you when you're down but lucky I'm a fighter and can't wait to kick them back.

Tim

Comment

Thanks for update Sped, Yes we all need to start now pestering those who make decisions about insurance.

Keep at it...

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you."
        Gandolf the Gray
        http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

Comment

This is amazing recovery in -1year. What is sensation like % ? Sex function?

Comment

There has been no exterior sensation changes other than mild ones in the growing area however I can feel muscle contractions as well as very sore trunk, gluts and leg muscles after workouts. My trunk muscle are sore for the most part of the time either way but not sore enough to have to take any meds. As for sexual function there has been some very minor positive changes in sensation and control but at this time they're so minor I can't say for sure whether or not they're just in my head.

Tim

Comment

Thank you sped - Did you work through DMC? Lima directed me to them but I dont really know how to get to them/

Comment

Hey Fritsh

I went directly through Dr. Lima as I'm from Canada. If he asked you to go through the DMC I'm surprised he didn't give you a contact name but try doing a search on the DMC site for Dr. Steve Hinderer as he was the Dr. to talk to a year ago.

Tim

Comment

Congratulations Tim on your marked improvements!

Eric Texley
                  Eric Texley

Comment

Wow Tim, congrats on what you are getting back. If I may ask, what were the extent of your initial injuries to your spine that resulted in your SCI? Couple of fractures? Exploding vertibre? I am trying to get a handle on how damaged your spinal cord was initially so I can make some sort of more informed opinion on how this could help my injury.

Comment

Andy

A tree fell on my head (was wearing hardhat)causeing me to have t-7/8 burst fractures. They removed them and replaces them with metal cages so it was kind of a bad injury but I guess they're all bad.

Tim

Comment

Hey Timmy it's Nige, just found this website with your name and thought I'd write to you give me a shout back at my regular email address It is jvjgolden@aol.com I would love to hear from you!
                        Originally posted by sped:

Andy

A tree fell on my head (was wearing hardhat)causeing me to have t-7/8 burst fractures. They removed them and replaces them with metal cages so it was kind of a bad injury but I guess they're all bad.

Tim

Comment

Well everyone following this thread, I have some good news. As stated before I was starting physio with a new therapist. I just finished my first week with her. Her finding so far are that the quad, hams and gluts are definately firing. She had me free standing everyday and as the days goes on the less assistance I require to stand without the braces. As you may or may not know she assists me by locking the knees for me and spots me with her hands on my gluts, well today she was able to take her hand away and allow me to stand straight on my own from the knees up. She still has to assist me when doing mini squats.

I'll give you a progress repot after next week sessions.

Tim

Comment

This is great news sped,I am truly happy for you and hope you continue to recover.How long post treatment are you now?.....well,keep up the good work [img]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img]!

"everyday above ground is a good day"
                            "everyday above ground is a good day"

Comment

Willwalkagain

It's now a years post surgery which really isn't long when you take in acount how complicated the CNS is.

Well their noticeing new muscles groups starting to respond other than just the hams, gluts and quads. All the muscles still tire quickly but it'll get there. The first step was to get them firing again which they are, just some hard work and patients now. I should add that all the muscles seem to fire better when I'm standing. It may be because of the stimulation on the bottom of my feet sending signals to the brain which them tries to force the the muscle to work and keep me standing. Well that's my understanding anyways.

Here's something I think all of you will get a kick out of. My insurance company has declined any physiotherapy for me. They said that since the benificial changes that are occuring seem to be because of the Portugal surgery that they did not fund that it's not up to them to fund the rehab since it's a result of the surgery. I requested it in writing. I have also contacted our CTV news broadcaster and we're going to start to put a story together early January.

I hate to always come here and bitch but it just gets frustrateing when we try to accomplish something and there always seems to be someone there trying to hold you back.

If you don't hear from me till the new year everyone have a great holiday.

Tim Sloggett

Comment

Thanks for the update Tim! I'm glad you are seeing some positive results. It's got to be frustrating when they deny your PT for such a silly reason....

Anyway, Happy Holidays to you too and good luck with the January news segment on CTV!!! [img]/forum/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img]

Faye

~It's troubling that exit polls and vote totals were so far out of whack. "I've spent my whole life in marketing. The difference is clearly beyond any sampling variability. ... The community of statisticians and media experts need to not let this be dropped"~ Bill Hawkes, a retired A.C. Nielsen Co. statistician.

Comment

Working...
                                X