Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oxygen improves blood flow, restores more function in spinal cord injuries

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0501112612.htm

can someone elaborate on how this may chronic injuries?

no one has any thoughts on this?

A new discovery at the University of Alberta will fundamentally alter how we view spinal cord function and rehabilitation after spinal cord injuries. Neuroscientists found that spinal blood flow in rats was unexpectedly compromised long after a spinal cord injury (chronically ischemia), and that improving blood flow or simply inhaling more oxygen produces lasting improvements in cord oxygenation and motor functions, such as walking.

Should we all be looking to inhale more oxygen over the long run?

Can anyone get access to the whole paper?

Originally posted by JAMESRRR View Post

Comment

I think this is interesting - especially because there are a handful of clinical trials right now - https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/resul...oxia&recr=Open - looking at oxygen deprivation enhancing recovery and improving mobility.

Comment

I read it and I'm very interested. So far it's just rats though, right?
        T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Comment

Oxygen pills

Interesting stuff.

Comment

Somebody should buy that article...would love to know the oxygen concentrations they were using, durations and persistence of the changes.
            T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Comment

Maybe in new injuries before the neurons actually die, but once the neurons are dead I would not think all the oxygen in the world would help.
              "Life is about how you
              respond to not only the
              challenges you're dealt but
              the challenges you seek...If
              you have no goals, no
              mountains to climb, your
              soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

Originally posted by JAMESRRR View Post

David Bennett also gives a nice presentation on video to help explain his lab findings. LINK
                http://spinalcordresearchandadvocacy.wordpress.com/

Comment

If I were spinal cord injured today either traumatic or non-traumatic (TM, spinal stroke), I guess I'd want cooling IV in the ambulance, medically induced coma and hypothermic in a hyperbaric oxygen chamber for the first week?!?
                  Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

that video is very helpful.

That's pretty wild if you can improve things simply by enhaling more oxygen.

Sounds like I'm gonna have to incorporate that into my medical marijuana treatment plan.

Enhale a little bit of smoke and then inhale some oxygen.

Then repeat

Beautiful. Like a match made in heaven.

The innovator of the treatment plan deserves a medal

Comment

so an O2 mask and breathing exercises mixed with physical exercise?

Comment

Originally posted by royb View Post
                        so an O2 mask and breathing exercises mixed with physical exercise?
                        * lots of green leafy vegetables = folic acid = build red blood cells that carry oxygen
                        * hyperbaric chamber

Comment

https://www.nature.com/nm/journal/va...l/nm.4331.html

I'm not sure if that link will work because I'm posting it from my university library - so if everyone else can't access the full paper please let me know.

If the paper is not public access I cannot share it due to copyright regulations, but will come back to answer some of the specific questions about the paper later. This paper is of great interest for me as it is related to my line of research.

Comment

Very interesting! Makes me wonder why Hypoxic Therapy has seen good results. I did it on my own and it helped at first. Well, I wonder if it depends on your current saturation level on how helpful more oxygen will be. Mine IS very high, but not 100 percent and maybe that's not high enough to jumpstart my damaged spinal cord. Bears looking into. -Jan

Comment

So here are some general answers to questions that have been in the thread so far:

-This study was done only on rats.

-Neurons don't necessarily die after injury. Most people with SCI have surviving neurons below the injury, but they don't function properly because they are no longer connected to the brain.

-Normal air that we all breathe at sea level is 21% oxygen, 78% nitrogen, and 1% other. In this study, rats were given 100% oxygen, 95% oxygen+5% CO2 (carbon dioxide), 10% CO2, or interestingly, 10% oxygen (hypoxia) - all improved tissue oxygenation. Extra O2 and pharmacology (drugs) improved walking function in incomplete rats - high CO2 or low oxygen were not tested directly to improve function.

-The authors commented that they think anything that increases blood flow - including physical exercise - will improve tissue oxygenation in the spinal cord below the level of injury, at least temporarily.

-Intermittent hypoxia improves motor function through a completely different mechanism than this studyr. Intermittent hypoxia makes a motor neuron more excitable. In this paper, improved blood flow/oxygen in the SC allowed all neurons - motor, sensory, and interneurons - to function better.

Comment

Working...
                              X