Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No more 4 ? AP, Fampyra greater than recommended dose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No more 4 ? AP, Fampyra greater than recommended dose?

For probably over the last decade I have been taking 4 ? aminopyridine. I have been taking 40 mg a day, four 10 mg pills every six hours. The pharmacy I was getting the pills compounded that has now informed me that they cannot find any company that has the active ingredient of 4-amino pyridine available to purchase to continue compounding my pills. They are recommending I take Fampyra instead. I tried that about three years ago and I found it did not work for me as well as my compounded pills. Additionally the recommended dose is only 20 mg a day where as I'm taking 40 mg a day.

So my question to those of you out there are the following :

1) is anyone else out there still taking 4 ? AP in compounded pills. If you are is it at all possible that he would be able to ask the pharmacy you get your pills from where they source the 4-ap? I'd prefer to find a new source for it so I can continue to take my compounded pills.

2) if I can't then I have to go with Fampyra. Going to my question for those of you out there with spinal cord injuries are any of you taking greater than the 20 mg per day recommended dosage? Say closer to 40 mg?

Yes taking 40mg per days.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Originally posted by lynnifer View Post
      Yes taking 40mg per days.
      Did you have any trouble getting your doctor to prescribe 40 mg instead of the recommended 20 mg?

Comment

I got 5mg 4-AP from mod4all. They also carry the superior 4AP-3-MeOH. There is an extensive thread about 4-AP on here:

Both 4-AP and stem cell treatment target demyelinated axons for better CNS conduction

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly1 View Post
          I got 5mg 4-AP from mod4all. They also carry the superior 4AP-3-MeOH. There is an extensive thread about 4-AP on here:

Both 4-AP and stem cell treatment target demyelinated axons for better CNS conduction
          MeOH is a chemical abbreviation for methyl alcohol ... That doesn't sound legitimate to me ... Have you discussed this with a doctor?

Comment

No not at all ... BUT I have Transverse Myelitis.

Speaking of compounding .. I am very tempted to try this and hear it is 10x's more powerful than 4-ap.

https://miracleofwalk.wordpress.com/...of-4ap-3-meoh/
            Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

Comment

Originally posted by lynnifer View Post
              No not at all ... BUT I have Transverse Myelitis.

Speaking of compounding .. I am very tempted to try this and hear it is 10x's more powerful than 4-ap.

https://miracleofwalk.wordpress.com/...of-4ap-3-meoh/
              Iemailed the Dr. who had thevid on it hoping for some answers but availability seems nill of 4-ap which is a core component

Comment

I am a C456 quad 13 years post. I always kept mum on 4-AP out of ignorance about what it does or what it Potentially can do for me, if anything. What is it? I always thought it's one of those nonsense false-hope things as far as chronics go
                "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
                Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Comment

Originally posted by lunasicc42 View Post
                  I am a C456 quad 13 years post. I always kept mum on 4-AP out of ignorance about what it does or what it Potentially can do for me, if anything. What is it? I always thought it's one of those nonsense false-hope things as far as chronics go
                  this vid gives an overview
                  https://vimeo.com/80311782

Comment

https://mod4all.com/zc/index.php?main_page=products_new

***I do not advertise nor condone or promote use of this med *** and I think it's manufactured in India

Comment

Originally posted by lunasicc42 View Post
                      I had better erections

Comment

thank you for the video but I should have been more clear: I was looking for more of personal accounts on what 4-ap can do for a injured persons life
                        Like do you take it? What does it do for you?
                        "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
                        Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Comment

Old thread on this: http:///forum/showthread.php?231579-...Riyi-Shi/page3

I started taking it 3-4yrs ago. It took 4 days and I got lower sensation in my back, returned. After 27yrs! More sensation on the lower left front - a couple of inches but only in one spot.

Functional? Well, my transfers were a lot stronger (and still are) because of that lower back return. I could only do what I could of a sit-up 5 times at first but worked up to 80 ... there was no more return after that.

In trials, some were reporting bladder and bowel return (word of mouth though) and I was highly anticipating that ... never happened. My bowels do work better though for whatever reason and many reported that.

There are extensive threads on 4-ap here. In my opinion, Acorda effed up the trials. They were trying to go with 'less spasicity' but couldn't prove the concept efficiently in numbers for those with spinal cord injury, especially when people were still taking Baclofen etc. Just a poor trial. They didn't have enough money for another trial for SCI and needed a cash flow so released it for those with MS who are having trouble walking. They never returned to the SCI trials.

Since MS (multiple sclerosis - brain involvement as well as spinal cord) and TM (transverse myelitis - oneoff spinal cord only) attack the myelin shealth directly, Acorda released it for MS ... and I was able to hop on with TM by convincing my doc.

You would be hard pressed to find a doc anywhere that will prescribe it off-label to someone with a spinal cord injury ... but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't still try.

I was on a natural high for at least 9 months after my return - could not wipe that smile off of my face. I still take it but there has been no more return.

To be honest, I ordered the stronger stuff this morning - my receipt said that they include 40 pills of 4-ap compound. Not sure I'll be trying that .. but I have a very good relationship with my doc and would like him to know what I'm taking .. just in case.

Comment

Tried to order the new stuff ... his credit card apps are gone and can only do business with paypal. *eyeroll*

Comment

I've been taking 4-ap for about 20 years. The pharmacy here in Calgary, Alberta says they are no longer able to get the powders to compound it for me anymore. My health plan won't cover Fampyra as it is listed as a drug for MS in Canada, even though they'd been covering the 4-ap. I can't afford Fampyra. Any advise on where I can get 4-ap or even 4-ap-3-MeOH would be appreciated. I can't seem to get the mod4all link to work. Thanks, Jerry

Comment

Working...
                              X