FLACCID ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FLACCID ??

I HAVE NEVER HAD ANY SPASAMS SINCE BEING INJURED, DOES THAT MEAN I AM FLACCID?? IF SO, DOES THIS MEAN MY INJURY WILL BE HARDER TO CURE??

it means that this injury is most likely never to be cured. Lifeless limbs are cutoff from the brain, and dead nerves cannot be revived.

sherman brayton
    sherman brayton

Comment

No, actually, Brayton is the boards "feel sorry for yourself and cry like a bit$# constantly" member. In reality...you should really try e-stim to see if they will allow your muscle fibers to contract. Off topic, i would love to be t-12, it is so annoying to hear a fool spout off how horrible everything is. I think he should be banned personally from use of the board as he is not helping anyone and could quite possibly cause harm to members who may be already depressed. Personally, i like to follow in footsteps of people like Mark Wellman, Jeff Pagle, Chris Reeves, Victor Konovalov and many more. People who realize that life is a gift no matter how we live it.

Comment

Brayton,
        You are no help whatsoever.
        That's all I'm gonna say.
        C

Comment

What is the defenition of flaccid?
          "No mother on either side could say that whatever was won was worth my son"--Steve Mason

Comment

chaste, flaccid means "Lacking firmness, resilience, or muscle tone."

brayton, flaccidity does not necessarily mean that the limbs are "lifeless" and "cutoff from the brain", or "dead nerves cannot be revived". It simply means that your spinal cord is not generating activity to activate the limbs. I asked you in another post earlier, have you tried functional electrical stimulation on the muscles of your legs?

Wise.

Comment

davidh--I am T11 and T12. In the beginning after my injury I had no spasms. Then I started electrical stimulation about a year after my injury and now I have spasms. It was amazing as before FES I would say that I was flaccid. You wouldn't know it now though. When I first started using FES my muscles just barely contracted. I was persisent though and now I get a full contraction not even at 100% stim. My advise is look into FES and be patient as it took me some time to build up.

Comment

Originally posted by brayton:

it means that this injury is most likely never to be cured. Lifeless limbs are cutoff from the brain, and dead nerves cannot be revived.

sherman brayton
                damn, ppl like u w/ such negative attitudes shouldnt be able to breath my air
                Bike-on.com rep
                John@bike-on.com
                c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
                sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

David,
                  I agree with JV. At C6-7, there was no movement for probably six months, but when checked with e-stim the current/connection was there. Now he has spontaneous spasms with movement and uses estim to acheive big steps with the Parastep.
                  This is a complete injury C6-7

Comment

fuente-
                    what,,,negative?! let's look at this-
                    right now, neves cannot be regenerated. This si a fact. So when someone posts, "will it be harder to cure with flaccid muscles", one can only honestly reply...look...there is no cure.
                    expecting a cure is delusional. A cure in the sense of full-blown cure will never happen for the rest of our lives. We are damaged goods baby...until our dyin' day! Yeah..maybe a therapy SOME DAY will restore some muscles and/or senstion, but this will only lower our injury level a notch or two at the best! Realistically...doubtful is the better term than hopeless...in which I believe it really is.

sherman brayton
                    sherman brayton

Comment

Hi Sherman. Just wondering, why do you come to the Cure section of carecure if you don't believe there will ever be a cure. I am honestly not attacking you, as I do believe everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I just find it strange that you even check the cure site with your outlook on a cure.

Comment

uuuuuuufffffffffff....... brayton think about this, you believe that if the cure is imposible researchers lost time and money serching that?
                        excuse my english
                        -Ramps in buildings are necessary, but it would be usefull to have another ones for people (mind/heart).....

-Hoc non pereo habebo fortior me

Comment

brayton,
                          As I understand it..if you have intact motor
                          neurons below the injured site..there is hope
                          for therapies that can reconnect the transmission from the brain to the lower
                          extremities.

It seems you are getting flaccid type conditions mixed up all together.

Once they have reconnected this pathway...
                          then all the other problems associated can
                          be worked out. One way or another.

Maybe it just takes all the SCI researchers
                          to get in the same group and do it..
                          It's so close...you can almost touch it.

<"();::::::::::;~
                          Life isn't about getting thru the storm but learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

Originally posted by brayton:

Yeah..maybe a therapy SOME DAY will restore some muscles and/or senstion, but this will only lower our injury level a notch or two at the best!

sherman brayton
                            I'd just like to point out that Drs. Huang and Lima already routinely perform surgical procedures that result in lowering the injury level by a notch or two.

"The start line will be the finish line." - ChrisD
                            "The prospects for a cure today are better than they were yesterday."

Comment

So if you're going to be 19yrs post this summer .. and have never tried FES and don't know if it will work for you ... what does one do? (Keeping in mind that I really have no SCI doc nor a good GP).

As well, I had a bone density test (for osteomyelitis in one foot) over a year ago and they told me I had the joints of an old lady (I'm 31). I'd like to look into a standing frame but I'm afraid I'll break something .. like an ankle.

I've asked my GP these questions before but he hasn't a clue .. not his specialty obviously .. and he doesn't want to say (be responsible).

I've tried to draw my own conclusions from reading this site but all I read is doom and gloom for flaccid injuries ... plus the learning curve is enormous.
                              Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Working...
                              X