No announcement yet.

Miami Project Newsletter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

schmecky do you know how much later the trials will start for chronics?
    A CURE NOW!

Comment

Sorry but I think this is an announcement made in 2000. I know they announced the Estonia trials in 2000 and if you read the article you see that they are also talking about June 2000.

To make it more clear I can also add to say that Cedars already announced a trial for chronic SCI's in 1999. The trial for Parkinsons which they were referring to in the article(on 8 June 2000) was stopped after they succesfully treated 1 person

[This message was edited by pecla on 02-22-04 at 08:01 PM.]

Comment

Originally posted by pecla:

Sorry but I think this is an announcement made in 2000. I know they announced the Estonia trials in 2000 and if you read the article you see that they are also talking about June 2000.

To make it more clear I can also add to say that Cedars already announced a trial for chronic SCI's in 1999. The trial for Parkinsons which they were referring to in the article(on 8 June 2000) was stopped after they succesfully treated 1 person

[This message was edited by pecla on 02-22-04 at 08:01 PM.]
        The reason the Cedar Sinai trial was stopped was because the FDA got wind of what they were doing (harvesting a patients own stem cells and growing them 3 months before replacing them in the patient), and they were forced to stop until FDA approval was given about 1 1/2 years later, but by then Cedar Sinai got cold feet and refused to continue the trials, afraid of possible controversy.

"Together we stand, divided we fall..."

Comment

Could some of our Australian members contact the Aussie SCS Chapter to see what the status is??

There seems to be some controversey on how current and accurate this websites data is.

Comment

The SCS has declared in their November newsletter that they hope to start human trials within the next 18 months if all goes well.
            Her is an abstract of the current status of the Australian SCS; Prof Waite is an expert in olfactory ensheathing glia (OEG). Her lab will combine OEG's with human stromal cells, in both acute and chronic spinal injured nude rats. Some of these animals will have added inhibitors and/or growth factors. At least one group will have everything added that we think will aid spinal repair. We hope to replicate this in Perth with Giles Plant.
            Here is the link for more info; http://www.lionsclubtraralgon.asn.au/scf.html

Comment

Schmeky, I hope I am wrong and that it is a recent report but there are so much likenesses with 2000. In 2000; they announced the Estonia trial also for the fall, they were also busy with the final application for chronic SCI trials, they got FDA approval for their Parkinson trial so the assumption was they would go on with the trial. And at the bottom of the page there is a link provided for an update on this project and that's the link I mentioned in my previous post(that part is also published in the SCS November newsletter).

Comment

pecla,

Thanks for your e-mail and the attachments. It appears as though you are correct on the dates of these articles. I also read in your attachment that trials may start in 18 months or less. I need to subscribe to the newletter myself.

The good news is that they are lab testing treatments for chronics as well as acutes!!

Thanks pecla

Comment

BTW, the best way to get info. about the MIAMI PROJECT is to go to their website. Seems like they talk a lot more about their research there.

Check them out at: Miami Project Research

Also, like Christopher Reeve they have always done a lot re. making the public aware of the need for a cure for sci.

Did you know the University of Miami will host one of the final presidential debates on September 30th!!!!

"Together we stand, divided we fall..."

Comment

Good Morning America link

The other link didn't work for me.
                    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

Comment

Thanks Norm, would be great to get ABC's dr. tim johnson to drop by here.

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you."
                      Gandolf the Gray
                      http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

Comment

Originally posted by Norm:

http://streaming.miami.edu:8080/ramg...ningamerica.rm

The other link didn't work for me.
                        This Is an old video. I remember this on Good Morning America quite some time ago. I'm surprised they did not post a new video on what they are doing today as far as research.

What one man can do another can do
                        A good friend is someone who will come to bail you out of jail. A TRUE friend is the guy sitting next to you behind the same set of bars saying, "boy we sure f*cked up this time huh?"

Comment

After viewing it, it seems old.
                          "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

Comment

Working...
                          X