Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paralyzed Men Move Legs with New Non-Invasive Spinal Cord Stimulation - NIH Study

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My understanding is that they already have at least one non-US study underway in Ireland with a couple more pending.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by darty View Post
      Did they say that even in Quads they stimulate the lower spine T or L?
      In the papers and patents I've read the portion of the spine simulated varies based on the function they are training. For example I believe they stimulated cervical for the quad hand function trials.

Comment

Originally posted by darty View Post
        Does this work for hand function? Anyone try one? I see them on Ebay from time to time.

http://aim2walk.ca/bioness/

http://www.bioness.com/Products/H200..._Paralysis.php
        I curious as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaz19 View Post
          I curious as well.
          Bioness does make a hand unit as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Mize View Post
            My understanding is that they already have at least one non-US study underway in Ireland with a couple more pending.
            Any idea how we can get more information about trials in foreign countries, whether they are recruiting, and more details about the research itself, what kind of improvements we could expect based on existing research results.

Comment

Ireland? Really? Do you have any more information?

Comment

AFAIK the Ireland study is currently just one subject:
                http://www.newstalk.com/EXCLUSIVE-Ma...ince-paralysis

Regarding outcomes it's going to depend upon what connections remain. This doesn't create new connections.
                I personally know one subject who regained functional hand usage after several years of training with the spinal stim. Therev are multiple papers on various recoveries. The guy in Ireland can now stand up unassisted and he can sweat when he works out. There are references to improved bladder and bowel, but nothing quantitative.

I'll try to find out about enrollment for future trials. I don't think they're actively recruiting for any right now, but I'd expect to see some opening up in the near future.

Comment

AFAIK the Ireland study is currently just one subject:
                  http://www.newstalk.com/EXCLUSIVE-Ma...ince-paralysis

Regarding outcomes it's going to depend upon what connections remain. This doesn't create new connections.
                  I personally know one subject who regained functional hand usage after several years of training with the spinal stim. Therev are multiple papers on various recoveries. The guy in Ireland can now stand up unassisted and he can sweat when he works out. There are references to improved bladder and bowel, but nothing quantitative.

I'll try to find out about enrollment for future trials. I don't think they're actively recruiting for any right now, but I'd expect to see some opening up in the near future.
                  Thank you for the info Mize,

Comment

Hey Mize,
                    Is there any chance that the person that you know that has been working on spinal stimulation for years would come on here and post his/her experiences. Do you happen to know what type of spinal stimulator this was? Very curious.

Comment

He has been in the Edgerton transcutaneous study. The stimulator is designed by UCLA/CalTech.

Comment

He has been in the Edgerton transcutaneous study. The stimulator is designed by UCLA/CalTech.
                        Yes it would be awesome if a person from the actual study could come here
                        "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
                        Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Comment

I'll ask him, but I don't know what restrictions he might have. I met him through a mutual friend so our communications are personal in nature. In fact, I'm not entirely certain he'd be happy with what I've already shared.

Comment

I 'wish' everything could be shared by everyone but I understand the circumstances...no biggie

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Comment

I 'wish' everything could be shared by everyone but I understand the circumstances...no biggie

Comment

I'll ask him, but I don't know what restrictions he might have. I met him through a mutual friend so our communications are personal in nature. In fact, I'm not entirely certain he'd be happy with what I've already shared.
                                A wonder that a recover-ist wouldn’t be shouting from treetops if he/she did, in fact recover anything due to a therapy???

Comment

Working...
                                X