No announcement yet.

Dr. Jerry Silver: Latest chronic SCI research results featured at Cleveland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I rather doubt anyone is playing with Cethrin. BioAxone’s neuroregenerative and neuroprotective biologic drug VX-210 (formerly known as Cethrin) is currently in clinical development for acute cervical spinal cord injury. VX-210 is licensed to "Vertex" and plans for a Phase IIb-3 trial are finally underway. They are planning on the trial to start in Q1 of this year. The beginning trials showed a lot of success. It may be possible that Vertex has other labs running combination tests for acute, but I don't know anything about that.

Incidentally, BioAxone also has BA-277 which acts on SCI glial scar and is being worked forward to Pre IND also. BioAxone has received funding from NIH/SBIR to investigate new drugs that may be promising to promote repair by removing inhibitory glial scar proteoglycans. I'm not positive but this may possibly have been the work out of the Herb Geller lab at the NIH and licensed to BioAxone recently. I'll be keeping an eye on it.
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 02-03-2016, 12:53 PM. Reason: spelling
    http://spinalcordresearchandadvocacy.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by GRAMMY View Post
      The Silver SCI research lab is dedicated to repairing the chronically injured spinal cord and restoring function after paralysis. The presentation at the Cleveland FES Centers Neural Prosthesis Seminar covers not only the remarkable robust recovery of bladder function but also the labs latest exciting successful results in restored functional breathing and ongoing locomotion work on their chronic spinal cord injury models.

LINK

If anyone has questions that they would like answered about this video please do so and I will respond.

Sincerely,

Jerry Silver, Ph.D.
      Professor

Comment

Originally posted by jsilver View Post
        If anyone has questions that they would like answered about this video please do so and I will respond.

Sincerely,

Jerry Silver, Ph.D.
        Professor
        That's great! Thanks so much.

Comment

You mentioned in the video presentation that results were even better in the chronic animals than they were in the acute ones on restored breathing. Can you elaborate on that and tell us where this would lead on patients presenting at the clinic in the future. Specifically, would there need to potentially be a delay because of what you're finding in the animal studies? Will that be the way you see this transitioning in humans for their treatment?

Comment

Originally posted by GRAMMY View Post
            You mentioned in the video presentation that results were even better in the chronic animals than they were in the acute ones on restored breathing. Can you elaborate on that and tell us where this would lead on patients presenting at the clinic in the future. Specifically, would there need to potentially be a delay because of what you're finding in the animal studies? Will that be the way you see this transitioning in humans for their treatment?
            Thanks for the question.

We were incredibly surprised to see such remarkable functional recovery at such protracted times after SCI. After as little as 2 weeks in the chronic animals, the recovery is essentially back to normal in many, but not all, of the animals. This is very good news, indeed, for those with chronic cord injury. We are seeing enhanced functional recovery with a single microinjection of the chondoitinase enzyme in animals that are 3 months post injury. When we inject the enzyme immediately after injury we only see recovery to about 10% of normal. We don't have to wait the full 1.5 years. Why this is happening we can only speculate at present but we think that there is a slow plasticity going on that is being completely inhibited by the proteoglycans that cover up the newly made synaptic connections. This curtain of molecules is called the perineuronal net or PNN for short. Since most people with cord injuries are already beyond 3 months, these new results may offer real hope for the future.

Comment

Hi oh Silver.

As always, can you look into your crystal ball for timelines? I apologize in advance for the most hated question of all.
              Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Originally posted by lynnifer View Post
                Hi oh Silver.

As always, can you look into your crystal ball for timelines? I apologize in advance for the most hated question of all.

Hi Lynnifer,

No, that is not a most hated question. It is the most important question of all. If it were up to me, we would be administering enzyme to appropriately
                selected patients tomorrow. I would like to call strong attention to the outstanding work of the International Spinal Research Trust (ISRT) in England, a non-profit
                SCI focused foundation that is dedicated to bringing chondroitinase to the people. They are working very hard on new, state of the art delivery systems for the enzyme.
                With their help and perseverance we will be in clinical trials ASAP. It is my thinking that some combination of their new and improved long-active chondroitinase plus our peptide
                will be optimal.

Comment

I have a question. Would it be possible to try your therapy on me outside of the bounds of the "system"?

I understand the scientific method. I understand the litigious nature of our legal system. Neither are significant to me because of my injury. I can provide the legal documents to absolve you and the owner of the technology. I can pay for the treatment. This can be done in a hospital overseas. Can two people get together and decide on a best path forward and execute that plan? Can we change the world? Can we execute this plan immediately?

Comment

That's what I'm talkin about. The hell with all the red tape, what can we do to start tryin shit like yesterday on the low

Comment

Like waitin n waitin n waitin will have us losin out on 20 MORE years

Comment

Please don't take this as lashing out on you Dr Silver, I'm just stressed n venting

Comment

Sure, we could get X-Cell or Geeta Shroff to charge $40,000 for it!

Comment

Originally posted by nrf View Post
                            Sure, we could get X-Cell or Geeta Shroff to charge $40,000 for it!
                            For those interested in that sort of thing, it may be worth a few minutes to contact your state representatives where the right to try bills are underway and tell them you support the measure. PA happens to be one of the states in the process with HB1104. https://legiscan.com/PA/bill/HB1104/2015
                            Last edited by GRAMMY; 02-14-2016, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Han Solo View Post
                              Please don't take this as lashing out on you Dr Silver, I'm just stressed n venting

We are not yet ready for prime time until we maximize our strategy and show its effectiveness in a larger animal model. I can assure
                              you that we are working as fast and as hard as we possibly can with the resources that we have to move our strategy towards humans.
                              Let's be safe and effective and play by the rules. If you have any questions related to my lecture please don't hesitate to ask.

Comment

We are not yet ready for prime time until we maximize our strategy and show its effectiveness in a larger animal model. I can assure
                                you that we are working as fast and as hard as we possibly can with the resources that we have to move our strategy towards humans.
                                Let's be safe and effective and play by the rules. If you have any questions related to my lecture please don't hesitate to ask.
                                Thank You Dr.Silver!

Comment

Working...
                                X