StemCells, Inc. Announces Webcast to Discuss Interim Results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

StemCells, Inc. Announces Webcast to Discuss Interim Results

StemCells, Inc. (NASDAQ:STEM), a world leader in the research and development of cell-based therapeutics for the treatment of disorders of the central nervous system, will host a webcast to discuss the six-month interim results from the first cohort in its Phase II PathwayTM Study in cervical spinal cord injury. The Company will also provide a progress update on the second 40-patient cohort which is currently enrolling patients.

LINK
    http://spinalcordresearchandadvocacy.wordpress.com/

I surely will watch ,thank you GRAMMY
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Comment

StemCells, Inc.(NASDAQ:STEM), a world leader in the research and development of cell-based therapeutics for the treatment of disorders of the central nervous system, today announced that the six-month interim results for the first cohort in its ongoing Phase II Pathway™ Study in cervical spinal cord injury (SCI) showed motor improvements in both strength and function. The assessment of motor function involved using tests of dexterity.

LINK

Comment

“These are the results we have been waiting to see in our spinal cord injury program. For the first time, we have seen improvements in strength and motor function. While preliminary, these results should come as really exciting news for spinal cord injury patients and their families,” commented StemCells’ CEO Martin McGlynn.

It's not time to start soccer ball shopping yet but I'm excited to read some good news. Thank you for covering this Grammy.

Comment

I don't know if the problem is just on my end but I couldn't watch the video. Anyone else having problems to or is it just mine now?

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Comment

heyyyyy skippo...I was born in Antioch man! ...925!

Comment

Hahah! Lunasicc! 925 all the time! I just went by the Antioch Speedway today when I was out there at a machine shop.

Comment

Originally posted by lunasicc42 View Post
                I don't know if the problem is just on my end but I couldn't watch the video. Anyone else having problems to or is it just mine now?
                The webcast wasn't video per se. Just listening like a radio show and watching slides. Try this link and just click the triangle under the slide. The sound should start automatically for you.

LINK

(It's pretty much all in the article link I posted if you want to save about 40 minutes time and it's easier to digest by seeing it in the article also).
                Last edited by GRAMMY; 18 Nov 2015, 10:57 PM. Reason: additional information

Comment

Isn't this significant?

Based on my 24 years of following spinal cord cures I've never seen this with chronics.

Also it's my understanding that there is a slow migration over time that would improve the lower extremities also. Am I correct?

It's hard to tell what the company wants to reveal. I can't imagine that someone would get hand control, but not get some degree of return in there legs.

If that is occurring they company may not want to reveal it because that's not within the scope of their study.

What is the opinion of other people here?

Comment

YES. This is big, IMO. If you go that little broadcast/slideshow listen at about minute 30 to some Q and A. This is what was said:

Q: Can you reveal any of the specific tasks that these patients can do . . .

A: … we have 3 patients who pre-transplant were unable to pick up a key and insert it into a slot — after transplant they were able to pick up the key and insert it into the lock and turn it at the full 90 degrees …

Those were motor complete chronic quads.

Comment

thats impressive

Comment

Thanks Kate

My left hand barely can do this, but my right hand cannot.

Your thoughts on the slow migration over time that would improve the lower extremities?

Comment

I don't understand the physiology well enough to answer the slow progression . . . MAYBE an eventual treatment would involve a pair of injections? The original safety studies were done with thoracic injuries, very low doses. Those people got some sensation but no motor return.

If anybody cares, I wrote about the science behind this work in the Working 2 Walk 2012 book. The chapter about it is posted here.

In the new book it's in Chapter 10 (Visitors from Another Galaxy).

Comment

Impressive. I imagine there's some sensory improvement too

Comment

Originally posted by spayne View Post
                              Thanks Kate

My left hand barely can do this, but my right hand cannot.

Your thoughts on the slow migration over time that would improve the lower extremities?
                              My understanding is that the cells do not stay in the initial injection site but rather migrate throughout the spinal cord over time. In some of the other testing that I've read about involving animals, cells have even made it as far as the optic nerves depending on the injection site. The cells don't just survive but proliferate.

Somebody feel free to correct or elaborate

As far as lower extremities go, I would imagine that would come along as well; however, I would imagine locomotion is yet another task the brain would have to relearn. I don't know about this video because I did not watch it, but the width of the spinal cord can affect strength and ability.

"a with of 9mm can make all the difference to somebody who is a quadriplegic. It is the difference between being able to use the hands or not. Being able to make that connection is our first priority"

Comment

Working...
                              X