Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For the first time, a paraplegic has walked without a robotic suit

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • For the first time, a paraplegic has walked without a robotic suit

    A paraplegic has walked without robotics using his own brain waves, thanks to research done at Southern California's UC Irvine. Scientists used a computer to "link" 28-year-old Adam Fritz's brain to his legs over a Bluetooth connection, bypassing the severed region of his spinal cord. An EEG then picked up signals from his brain, which were relayed by a "brain-control interface" (BCI) computer to electrodes on his knee, triggering walking movements. Though Fritz was supported and only walked haltingly for 12 feet, the research is being heralded as a milestone -- so far, paralyzed patients have only be able to walk using suits like that from Ekso Bionics.

    http://www.engadget.com/2015/09/24/p...-mind-control/
    ^^(A)^^

  • #2
    Here's the full article from the Journal of NeuroEngineering and Rehabilitation:

    http://www.jneuroengrehab.com/content/12/1/80

    To summarize: They used an electroencephalogram (EEG)-based Brain Controlled Interface to control a functional electrical stimulation (FES) system for overground walking and assessed its performance in an individual with T6 ASIA B paraplegia due to SCI.

    Comment


    • #3
      Just read it. Amazing!!
      Www.rachellefriedman.com

      Follow me on Facebook at
      www.facebook.com/rachelleandchris

      Follow me on twitter at
      www.twitter.com/followrachelle

      Www.wheelstrong.com

      sigpic

      Comment


      • #4
        Hate this kind of research

        Comment


        • #5
          This will get you out of your predicament before any type of biological treatment James. I'm happy to see anything after 30yrs.
          Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

          T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by JamesMcM View Post
            Hate this kind of research
            It might be needed and coupled with a stem cell therapy or regenerative drug.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by lynnifer View Post
              This will get you out of your predicament before any type of biological treatment James. I'm happy to see anything after 30yrs.
              You mean get me out of my wheelchair, that is far from my predicament my predicament is not being able to feel my body, not being able to enjoy sex, being able to do the motions well, not being able to urinate or bowel movement. Not being able to take care of myself because my hands are useless and I can't feel anything of touching. So no this won't fix my problem

              Comment


              • #8
                You should have been around 20+yrs ago when there was significantly less research going on ... lol.
                Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

                T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

                Comment


                • #9
                  I always saw the technology approach as the ultimate feasible cure for us. Some kind of bypass that can reconnect the brain with the body, and this is a step in the right direction.
                  -Ramps in buildings are necessary, but it would be usefull to have another ones for people (mind/heart).....

                  -Hoc non pereo habebo fortior me

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Won't return of function, it will return at best minor motor function. You still won't feel your body, sexual function will not improve, you still have to use catheters and get infections, and your bowels still cause problems take hours to empty. All likelihood hand function will barely improve, not nearly enough to be able to use a lot of dexterity so this isn't much of the CURE at all. This is something for minor injuries or paraplegics even still it won't solve the main problems BBS function

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by lynnifer View Post
                      You should have been around 20+yrs ago when there was significantly less research going on ... lol.
                      I know someone that was injured 20 years ago, his life is absolutely terrible, it was the defining reason why I asked to be left to die at the accident site! Terrible thing to say, I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by JamesMcM View Post
                        Won't return of function, it will return at best minor motor function. You still won't feel your body, sexual function will not improve, you still have to use catheters and get infections, and your bowels still cause problems take hours to empty. All likelihood hand function will barely improve, not nearly enough to be able to use a lot of dexterity so this isn't much of the CURE at all. This is something for minor injuries or paraplegics even still it won't solve the main problems BBS function
                        What if they implant a spinal stimulator in area the controls bladder sphincter? anus sphincter? What if they had bladder/anal sensors that sent signal to your brain that your bladder was full? This is going to occur much much sooner than any regenerative cure. They are still at square 1 with a regenerative cure. They don't know how to regenerate the spinal cord. With brain computer interface, at least they have proof of concept. They are able to read some movement signals and last month were able to send some sensory signals to the brain. This is going to mature a lot faster (10+ years) than any regenerative therapy (50+ years ~ never).

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Here's a hidden "nugget" from the article that explains how they selected the test subject and how he practiced with the EEG in front of a computer. I looked at the pictures and ignored the math formulas.
                          http://www.jneuroengrehab.com/conten...-0068-7-s1.pdf

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Nowhere Man View Post
                            What if they implant a spinal stimulator in area the controls bladder sphincter? anus sphincter? What if they had bladder/anal sensors that sent signal to your brain that your bladder was full? This is going to occur much much sooner than any regenerative cure. They are still at square 1 with a regenerative cure. They don't know how to regenerate the spinal cord. With brain computer interface, at least they have proof of concept. They are able to read some movement signals and last month were able to send some sensory signals to the brain. This is going to mature a lot faster (10+ years) than any regenerative therapy (50+ years ~ never).
                            I think he's right. I go back to polio being the last major breakthrough. I hear great things about AIDS and cancer but outside of those progress seems incremental. In that time look at the progress of computers. Where would you put your science dollars if your life depended on it?
                            Last edited by Eric.S; 09-29-2015, 03:30 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              i wonder how far they are from just bypassing the injured area? Which would be the optimal solution. I can't see few machines being the longterm answer and receiving input from touch and location can be just as important as sending signals from the brain.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X