Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Invivo scaffolding implant (first patient) showing early results!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scimike View Post
    That's probably true. I was thinking as I was watching Gregoire Courtine's video with the stimulation that I said if this works then they can have even smaller ones implanted that has so much more programmed into it. Perhaps it is too far away for now.

maybe not as far out as it seems.

G-THerapuetics and gregoire courtine just raised lots of money.

http://www.fiercemedicaldevices.com/...-in/2016-04-19

Comment

This is great news. Great job finding this article. Hope he starts sooner now.

Comment

Originally posted by scimike View Post
        This is great news. Great job finding this article. Hope he starts sooner now.
        Yes, I hope that can bring a Sooner start as well...over the years in this SCI situation, you rarely hear "good news people, our road towards a cure will be sped up and happen Sooner!", as a community we are most like used to hearing: "SIKE!!! Something happened that will greatly delay progress"

Good news here
        "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
        Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Comment

Yes, I have been reading more about it now and they also tried in primates and they had good results. He also said in the article that they will combine things also and I think this might be referring to what Dr. Silver said about his lab is working with Gregoire Courtine and another lab. I really hope this is the case because they can have therapies for many levels of SCI.

Comment

their plan for the money

http://www.startupticker.ch/en/news/...ld-in-lausanne

http://seekingalpha.com/article/3967...g-therapeutics

Interview - $29m For Prototype-Stage G-Therapeutics

Apr. 21, 2016 1:11 PM ET

EP VantageFollow(1,497 followers)

Newsletter provider, biotech, healthcare
            Send Message|
            EP Vantage

Recent trends have shown venture capital?s unwillingness to invest in medtechcompanies at the very early stages. Now an exception has appeared ? and what an exception. G-Therapeutics has secured the second largest series A round this year despite its spinal cord stimulation technology still being preclinical.
            ?We will start a very small pilot study this year with a research prototype that is a combination of our own software and some components that we got from another company,? its chief executive, Sjaak Deckers, tells EP Vantage. He adds that G-Therapeutics is around six years from the European, let alone the US, market ? an extremely long period by recent standards. So how has it achieved this extraordinary feat?
            ?We knew the people,? says Patrick Van Beneden, a partner at Gimv, one of the VCs that participated in the ?26m ($29m) series A round. Mr Deckers was previously CEO of Sapiens Steering Brain Stimulation, which was acquired byMedtronic in 2014 for ?155m, and G-Therapeutics? vice-president of clinical affairs worked for Endosense, bought by St. Jude Medical for SFr 159m ($170m) plus milestones in 2013.
            Gimv had invested in Endosense and ?that worked out quite well for us?, Mr Van Beneden says.

There is more to it than that, of course: Mr Van Beneden cites the burgeoning field of neurostimulation and the ?quite spectacular? results seen in animals with G-Therapeutics? technology as other reasons to invest.

But the crucial aspect is the timing of the Sapiens acquisition. Medtronicbought Sapiens before it had attained CE mark for its brain stimulation technology, and G-Therapeutics? backers, which include LSP, INKEF Capital and Wellington Partners as well as Gimv, might be betting that Mr Deckers can repeat the trick.
            Six years to market
            If a buyer does not emerge that soon, Mr. Deckers says the series A funds ? in addition to funding from the Dutch government ? will be enough to see the company all the way through to CE mark.
            Two clinical trials will have to come to a successful conclusion first. While the exploratory pilot trial with the prototype is under way, G-Therapeutics will develop the real product, the class 3 implantable device that will, if all goes well, be submitted for premarket approval.

?We plan to have that ready in the next three and a half years,? Mr Deckers says. After that a larger European clinical trial will begin in either 2019 or 2020, ?it will take quite some years to do that study.?
            A viable product is thus unlikely to hit the market before 2022.
            The company has a good idea of what the product will consist of, though. Electrodes will be implanted in the epidural space and connected to the patient?s spinal cord, with wires leading to a pulse generator implanted in the abdomen. A remote device would allow the patient to control the pulse generator, and the system would be accessible on a tablet computer, allowing the rehab doctor to program the device and adjust the settings.
            The neurostimulation system will incorporate real-time motion feedback, allowing it to send impulses to the right nerves at the right time to help the patient raise and lower their legs and feet during walking. In animals, this combination of neurostimulation and will-powered training has been shown to remodel residual neural connections and restore control over paralyzed limbs.
            Once the product has been built, trialled and CE marked, the company will begin commercialization in Europe, and in parallel start studies in the US. It even has plans to develop a second-generation system.
            Potential buyers
            It is clear that, while Mr. Deckers says his first priority is building a company, the group is very alive to the possibility of an acquisition.
            ?I am not busy with the exit, but of course our investors invested to get a return in the years to come,? Mr Deckers says. He says that more companies are exploring neurostimulation as technologies are developed to address more disorders, and has put together a list of potential acquirers for G-Therapeutics which he has presented to investors.
            Groups including Nevro, Greatbatch Medical and Sorin, following its acquisition of Cyberonics, are all interested in this space, he says. ?It has moved beyond the big three ? Boston, St. Jude and Medtronic,? he says. ?There are several companies that are strong and large enough.?

Naturally Mr. Van Beneden of Gimv agrees. ?If we have the right data we are convinced that one of the bigger players in the sector should be interested,? he says. If this does not transpire, a syndicate could be formed to fund an initial sales infrastructure ? though after that he says G-Therapeutics could still be acquired by one of the big players.
            In recent times VCs have exhibited a marked preference for companies with not just European but US approval, plus established sales and even reimbursement (Huge medtech venture rounds mean start-ups starve, January 19, 2016). This level of interest in a company that has not even started human trials is almost unknown. However, if G-Therapeutics? investors see a decent return, it could be hoped other VCs might be spurred to start backing earlier start-ups.

[IMG]/forum/images/misc/quote_icon.png[/IMG] Originally Posted by JAMESRRR [IMG]/forum/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png[/IMG]
            Links to G-therapeutics if you not familiar with their work.

Greg Courtine was student of Reggie Edgerton.

$41 million show major investor confidence from those that matter most. Those with money.

Interview - $29m For Prototype-Stage G-Therapeutics

Apr. 21, 2016 1:11 PM ET

EP VantageFollow(1,497 followers)

Newsletter provider, biotech, healthcare
            Send Message|
            EP Vantage

Recent trends have shown venture capital?s unwillingness to invest in medtechcompanies at the very early stages. Now an exception has appeared ? and what an exception. G-Therapeutics has secured the second largest series A round this year despite its spinal cord stimulation technology still being preclinical.
            ?We will start a very small pilot study this year with a research prototype that is a combination of our own software and some components that we got from another company,? its chief executive, Sjaak Deckers, tells EP Vantage. He adds that G-Therapeutics is around six years from the European, let alone the US, market ? an extremely long period by recent standards. So how has it achieved this extraordinary feat?
            ?We knew the people,? says Patrick Van Beneden, a partner at Gimv, one of the VCs that participated in the ?26m ($29m) series A round. Mr Deckers was previously CEO of Sapiens Steering Brain Stimulation, which was acquired byMedtronic in 2014 for ?155m, and G-Therapeutics? vice-president of clinical affairs worked for Endosense, bought by St. Jude Medical for SFr 159m ($170m) plus milestones in 2013.
            Gimv had invested in Endosense and ?that worked out quite well for us?, Mr Van Beneden says.

There is more to it than that, of course: Mr Van Beneden cites the burgeoning field of neurostimulation and the ?quite spectacular? results seen in animals with G-Therapeutics? technology as other reasons to invest.

But the crucial aspect is the timing of the Sapiens acquisition. Medtronicbought Sapiens before it had attained CE mark for its brain stimulation technology, and G-Therapeutics? backers, which include LSP, INKEF Capital and Wellington Partners as well as Gimv, might be betting that Mr Deckers can repeat the trick.
            Six years to market
            If a buyer does not emerge that soon, Mr. Deckers says the series A funds ? in addition to funding from the Dutch government ? will be enough to see the company all the way through to CE mark.
            Two clinical trials will have to come to a successful conclusion first. While the exploratory pilot trial with the prototype is under way, G-Therapeutics will develop the real product, the class 3 implantable device that will, if all goes well, be submitted for premarket approval.

?We plan to have that ready in the next three and a half years,? Mr Deckers says. After that a larger European clinical trial will begin in either 2019 or 2020, ?it will take quite some years to do that study.?
            A viable product is thus unlikely to hit the market before 2022.
            The company has a good idea of what the product will consist of, though. Electrodes will be implanted in the epidural space and connected to the patient?s spinal cord, with wires leading to a pulse generator implanted in the abdomen. A remote device would allow the patient to control the pulse generator, and the system would be accessible on a tablet computer, allowing the rehab doctor to program the device and adjust the settings.
            The neurostimulation system will incorporate real-time motion feedback, allowing it to send impulses to the right nerves at the right time to help the patient raise and lower their legs and feet during walking. In animals, this combination of neurostimulation and will-powered training has been shown to remodel residual neural connections and restore control over paralyzed limbs.
            Once the product has been built, trialled and CE marked, the company will begin commercialization in Europe, and in parallel start studies in the US. It even has plans to develop a second-generation system.
            Potential buyers
            It is clear that, while Mr. Deckers says his first priority is building a company, the group is very alive to the possibility of an acquisition.
            ?I am not busy with the exit, but of course our investors invested to get a return in the years to come,? Mr Deckers says. He says that more companies are exploring neurostimulation as technologies are developed to address more disorders, and has put together a list of potential acquirers for G-Therapeutics which he has presented to investors.
            Groups including Nevro, Greatbatch Medical and Sorin, following its acquisition of Cyberonics, are all interested in this space, he says. ?It has moved beyond the big three ? Boston, St. Jude and Medtronic,? he says. ?There are several companies that are strong and large enough.?

Naturally Mr. Van Beneden of Gimv agrees. ?If we have the right data we are convinced that one of the bigger players in the sector should be interested,? he says. If this does not transpire, a syndicate could be formed to fund an initial sales infrastructure ? though after that he says G-Therapeutics could still be acquired by one of the big players.
            In recent times VCs have exhibited a marked preference for companies with not just European but US approval, plus established sales and even reimbursement (Huge medtech venture rounds mean start-ups starve, January 19, 2016). This level of interest in a company that has not even started human trials is almost unknown. However, if G-Therapeutics? investors see a decent return, it could be hoped other VCs might be spurred to start backing earlier start-ups.

Blog this Post

Comment

G-Therapeutics is a spin-off from the Swiss Tech Institute (EPFL, Ecole Polytechnique F?d?rale de Lausanne, Switzerland) translating for human use a fundamentally new treatment paradigm that restored voluntary locomotion in fully paralyzed animals with a success rate close to 100%.

Comment

G-Therapeutics is a spin-off from the Swiss Tech Institute (EPFL, Ecole Polytechnique F?d?rale de Lausanne, Switzerland) translating for human use a fundamentally new treatment paradigm that restored voluntary locomotion in fully paralyzed animals with a success rate close to 100%.

Comment

This will be just one more big waste of money in SCI research in my opinion.
                  Ten years from now most people will agree with me, I believe, but at this point I am afraid the best way forward is to test it in humans ASAP.
                  I just wonder how much will cost it in the end to show it is a nearly useless approach.. considering that looking at the informations available with the necessary objectivity people don't need a crystal ball to predict how it will end.
                  In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Comment

I think they have to start somewhere. If it does not work on human, then they can move on to other methods.

Comment

Today's press release from Invivo states that a fourth patient (out of six) has converted from an AIS A complete to an AIS B incomplete.
                      They do not explain exactly what this means but, as I understand it, this should mean return of bowel control, right? Under the most recent AIS specifications "Complete" means no sacral sensation or control...
                      T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Comment

A return of anal response does not indicatea return of bowell function. That is dependent of the amount of nerve sparing. Even an AIS C doesn't always return the bowell function.
                        Originally posted by Mize View Post
                        Today's press release from Invivo states that a fourth patient (out of six) has converted from an AIS A complete to an AIS B incomplete.
                        They do not explain exactly what this means but, as I understand it, this should mean return of bowel control, right? Under the most recent AIS specifications "Complete" means no sacral sensation or control...

Comment

InVivo Therapeutics Announces Publication in Neurosurgery of Case Report Detailing First Neuro-Spinal Scaffold™ Implantation

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. (Jun 22, 2016) – InVivo Therapeutics Holdings Corp. (NVIV) today announced the publication of a case report in the journal Neurosurgery detailing the first clinical Neuro-Spinal Scaffold implantation. Neurosurgery is the official journal of the Congress of Neurological Surgeons. Nicholas Theodore, M.D., is the lead author of the article, titled, “First Human Implantation of a Bioresorbable Polymer Scaffold for Acute Traumatic Spinal Cord Injury: A Clinical Pilot Study for Safety and Feasibility.” The article describes the clinical presentation, surgical procedure, and postoperative improvement of the first patient in the INSPIRE study through the patient’s 6-month follow-up.

http://www.invivotherapeutics.com/press-releases/invivo-therapeutics-announces-publication-in-neurosurgery-of-case-report-detailing-first-neuro-spinal-scaffold-implantation/

Comment

Soaring Stock shares! after trial data announced.The ultimate dictating agent toward these therapys..

http://247wallst.com/healthcare-busi...eutics-soared/

Aren't Invivo the 1's doing the Oscillating field implant device??Did that get anywhere??
                            I am not your rolling wheels
                            I am the highway
                            I am not your carpet ride
                            I am the sky
                            I am not your blowing wind
                            I am the lightning
                            I am not your autumn moon
                            I am the night, the night..

Comment

Originally posted by Stormycoon View Post
                              Soaring Stock shares! after trial data announced.The ultimate dictating agent toward these therapys..

http://247wallst.com/healthcare-busi...eutics-soared/

Aren't Invivo the 1's doing the Oscillating field implant device??Did that get anywhere??
                              Are these soaring stock shares based on some new company news?

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Comment

nevermind ,I see

Comment

Working...
                                X