Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Invivo scaffolding implant (first patient) showing early results!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scimike View Post
    You are absolutely right. There are other methods that might be combined and they all look promising. All the scientists that I follow always say a combination of few things depending on each injury. Dr Silver's peptide is going to clinical trials soon (I hope). Dr. Silver shows on his video from Unite to Fight Paralysis in 2015 that his approach combination with Gregoire Courtine in Switzerland and another scientist Elizabeth Bradbury whom Dr. Silver says has the world's greatest chondroitinase, will all be combine to find out for the best possible outcome. They are all collaborating. The collaborating among scientist makes me very happy.

That was undoubtedly lead to some pretty big recovery recovery, epidural stimulation with neurotrophicwould probably greatly enhance the recovery we already know is possible from the epidural stimulator alone. add in Chase to get rid of the glial start first add the peptide to help resprout axons,that would be amazing. I would like to see New World laboratories autologous neural stem cellsadded into the mix after chase , Then use the epidural stimulator with the neurotrophic factor's during the very intensive probably year-long rehabilitation to induce regeneration and rewire the body I think as long as the body is still somewhat healthy despite the paralysis ro during the very intensive probably year-long rehabilitation to induce regeneration and rewire the body I think as long as the body is still somewhat healthy despite the paralysis rot you'd almost be good as new to the untrained that's pure speculation but there's some amazing technology going on

Comment

Originally posted by JamesMcM View Post
      That was undoubtedly lead to some pretty big recovery recovery, epidural stimulation with neurotrophicwould probably greatly enhance the recovery we already know is possible from the epidural stimulator alone. add in Chase to get rid of the glial start first add the peptide to help resprout axons,that would be amazing. I would like to see New World laboratories autologous neural stem cellsadded into the mix after chase , Then use the epidural stimulator with the neurotrophic factor's during the very intensive probably year-long rehabilitation to induce regeneration and rewire the body I think as long as the body is still somewhat healthy despite the paralysis ro during the very intensive probably year-long rehabilitation to induce regeneration and rewire the body I think as long as the body is still somewhat healthy despite the paralysis rot you'd almost be good as new to the untrained that's pure speculation but there's some amazing technology going on
      When I read or watch some of the scientists' works I get excited because like you said many things going on in different laboratories. There are human trials going on with different kinds of stem cells (by Stem Cells Inc and InVivo and others). However science is slow. Dr. Wise said that during the AIDS epidemic there were thousands of labs around the country. They have controlled the HIV virus and if people take their pills rest of their lives, they live a healthy life. I wish there were thousands of labs around the country working on SCI since SCI has been around forever. We only have dedicated scientists working on SCI and they have come a long way with the resources they have.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeHalsted View Post
        yeah he's in the 10%. Natural recovery. Everyone knows there's no cure for spinal injury...maybe in 100 years.
        Fortunately there have been more than one patient that shown improvements, and these are supposed to be very traumatic severe injuries,before they are accepted into the trial

Comment

Originally posted by JamesMcM View Post
          Fortunately there have been more than one patient that shown improvements, and these are supposed to be very traumatic severe injuries,before they are accepted into the trial
          What??!!!! Are you saying that my doctors...my inpatient rehab "psychologist"...my PTs...are all full of SHIT? How can that BE!?

Comment

What do all those people tell you? I didn't see where you explained that part.

As far as I know there are a total of six participants in the study and they now have approval for a total of 20 from the FDA. Of the six so far, one is new, four have made significant motor gains while the remaining one has made significant sensory gains. All are acute traumatic and the study has any accepted super recent (Hours) injuries.

The difficulty here is that there's no way to know what these patients would have recovered without the scaffolds.
            T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Comment

I imagine all those people told him the same all of my doctors told me - that you are never getting better.
              When I was recovering in hospital I asked the head doctor about all the stem cells i was reading about.
              He told me that they may be able to get rats to do something, but humans are millions of times more evolved than rats, so it will take a million times longer.
              What a tool.

Comment

Originally posted by Mize View Post
                Well, I told the psychologist I thought I could feel my bladder in in-patient. And then in "group" therapy, he made it a point to say in front of all the patients "Now JAKE here, thinks he can feel his bladder this week..ha ha ha ha" and so on.

And when I told my outpatient PT about activated macrophages she was like..."yeah sure, 100 years or more."

i'm not kidding. that is EXACTLY how it was and still is.

Comment

That's messed up. Where were you for in patient?
                  I'm skeptical about the scaffold tech, but I know one of the participants in the transcutaneous spinal stim study and he's made some rather huge gains. There are reasons to be hopeful. I understand not wanting to be disappointed, but hope has quantitative impacts on outcomes.
                  T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Comment

What??!!!! Are you saying that my doctors...my inpatient rehab "psychologist"...my PTs...are all full of SHIT? How can that BE!?
                    100% they are full of shit, I went through the same garbage! I'm surprised you couldn't figure that out for yourself, then again you might fit right in with the accept the chair crowd! They know nothing in regards to research, their job is to use the same recycled procedure to get you to accept your injury, simply because at this time there is nothing else they can offer you. So they're going to use the same one liners ; (example anything is possible if you put your mind to it, don't focus on what you can't do focus on what you can etc. etc) teach you how to get the shit out of you or worse try to convince you it's OK for someone else to do it if you can't! they are definitely not going to give you what they call false hope. As that's not remotely in the "procedure" to get you coping... I was injured in 20 12 and here we are in 2016 and research is completely different all of the stuff that was just in the R&D phaseis starting to move in clinical trial. One thing I cannot express enough do not listen to the absolute better garbage from other "veterans" of spinal cord injury that say yeah they said five more years and they'll be a cure here I am 20 years blah blah they are looking at things like hyperbaric oxygen therapy, Amprya, Best embryonic stem cells or bone marrow cells ( garbage) for god sake's one used FES as an example just shows the ignorance; these are not remotely comparable to autologous neural stem cells being used in humans right now, Dr. Edgerton's spinal stimulator specifically designed to modulate signals through the cord again has been used in humans ( only a case study at this point ). Dr. Silvers peptide moving into clinical trial etc these have already shown return of function and have a real chance at treating not curing injuries. Which can make all the difference could keep people out of a life of dependency having to ask for everything because they can't do it themselves, a lifetime without using catheters,without doing dowel care,able to retain sensation so you can feel the things you touch and still experience sexual pleasure. Yes after a bad injury you'll probably never play competitive sports with other able-bodied people, but trust me those are the things that count in quality-of-life!

The problem is after a spinal injury your body basically Decays below the injury, osteoporosis, drop foot, contractors in your joints, muscle atrophy, the muscles eventually lose the ability to contract,spinal cord atrophy etc. etc. these things can become irreversible.

What in vivo has will definitely not prevent a disability from occurring, you severely damage your pilot spinal cord you're still going to lose function live with a disability but the scaffolding may very well be able prevent and retain everything I listed above, vital functions for quality-of-life and dignity. It also gives them something to build upon they can keep working at it and improving which is what I've seen in all of their videos! I believe in these next 10 years Will be the last chapter of spinal cord injury in th sense of coping with it. Rehabilitation will no longer offer ridiculous More often than not blatantly false one liners, but instead offer one liners on the lines of the harder you work the more likely the cells or the scaffolding Will benefit you! Don't get comfortable sitting down! Move your body, move everything you can and keep moving it trying to move more and more etc. etc. That will be a Beautiful thing, a fair chance strength and resilience at its finest!
                    Last edited by JamesMcM; 16 Apr 2016, 4:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mize View Post

As far as I know there are a total of six participants in the study and they now have approval for a total of 20 from the FDA. Of the six so far, one is new, four have made significant motor gains while the remaining one has made significant sensory gains. All are acute traumatic and the study has any accepted super recent (Hours) injuries.

The difficulty here is that there's no way to know what these patients would have recovered without the scaffolds.
                      The way to know that is numbers and statistics,to my understanding they only treat the most severe very Trumatic injuriesso if 20 out of 20 return function below their injury, and continue to gain function as they exercise! Than its safe to say the treatment works. The thing that worries me is people being lucky enough (no blessed) to get this treatment and being too busy crying themselves in bed, or getting "comfy" in a chair and not fighting the injury every single day! The more they sit and stay still the more likely the injury will take over especially during spinal shock!

Comment

Well, I told the psychologist I thought I could feel my bladder in in-patient. And then in "group" therapy, he made it a point to say in front of all the patients "Now JAKE here, thinks he can feel his bladder this week..ha ha ha ha" and so on.

And when I told my outpatient PT about activated macrophages she was like..."yeah sure, 100 years or more."

i'm not kidding. that is EXACTLY how it was and still is.
                        They should be shot buried and pissed on, nobody played that shit with me they'd end up silent thinking out of their comfort zone and/or leaving with tears down there eyes. I didn't participate in that nonsense after I promptly discovered what it was! Definitely the kind of people that constantly argue to defend mediocrity

Comment

JamesMcM you said all the things above very well. There are clinical trials and there are improvements in patients but most of these are in safety stages. I think we will see the real deal when they start to put treatments together such as scaffold, stem cells, epidural (on the skin or invasive surgery) and maybe more some of these combinations. The nerves below the surgery are just staying there because they are not getting signals from the brain. Maybe a genius will design a simulator for outside or in can bring those nerves to be active again. I am also hopeful about nanotechnology as I have not seen or talked about helping SCI but that can also be used for SCI to send signal with combination with other therapies.

Comment

Nanotechnology has far too many "more important" things to address first, highly doubt it will ever be cost-effective let alone get the funding for spinal cord injury. By that time a treatment will already be in place anyways...

Comment

That's probably true. I was thinking as I was watching Gregoire Courtine's video with the stimulation that I said if this works then they can have even smaller ones implanted that has so much more programmed into it. Perhaps it is too far away for now.

Comment

very unfortunate outcome for patient 8 and his family.

doesn't sound like it was related to In Vivo treatment.

thoughts go out to his family.

InVivo Therapeutics Expresses Condolences on Death of Eighth Patient Enrolled in INSPIRE Study

- New Patient Enrolled in Study Died From Underlying Injuries -

April 19, 2016 08:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time
                                CAMBRIDGE, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--InVivo Therapeutics Holdings Corp. (NVIV) today announced that an eighth patient enrolled into The INSPIRE Study (InVivo Study of Probable Benefit of the Neuro-Spinal Scaffold™ for Safety and Neurologic Recovery in Subjects with Complete Thoracic AIS A Spinal Cord Injury) has died after injuries from a severe motor vehicle accident and unrelated to the investigational product. Travis Dumont, M.D., Director of the Neurovascular Program and Principal Investigator at Banner University Medical Center - Tucson performed the implantation on April 12, 2016, approximately 71 hours after the injury occurred. The patient succumbed approximately two days later.
                                “Our thoughts are with the patient’s loved ones during this very difficult time. The staff and Dr. Dumont at Banner attempted to give this patient the hope of an improved neurological outcome, but unfortunately he was not able to overcome the severe nature of his injuries.”
                                Tweet this
                                Mark Perrin, InVivo’s Chief Executive Officer and Chairman, said, “Our thoughts are with the patient’s loved ones during this very difficult time. The staff and Dr. Dumont at Banner attempted to give this patient the hope of an improved neurological outcome, but unfortunately he was not able to overcome the severe nature of his injuries.”
                                The cause of death was determined by the Principal Investigator to be unrelated to the Neuro-Spinal Scaffold device or implantation procedure and will be reviewed by the DSMB and FDA. Enrollment remains open and the company will continue to monitor carefully all aspects of the INSPIRE study to ensure the ongoing safety of its subjects in its work to improve the lives of SCI patients.

Comment

Working...
                                X