No announcement yet.

Beijing - HandiBob/Bob's OEG surgery report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm glad thinks are going well, best of luck to both of you guys too!

I remember one of you guys mentioning having chronic pain, i was wondering if the surgery made it worse?

thanks

Comment

Another day of waiting, well that's what weve come down to over the last couple of days.
      The Chinese holiday is alot like our Christmas Holiday, the hospital pretty much works with a skeleton crew so our biggest problem is keeping each other entertained. Yesterday, if you haven't read already we celebrated Chris and Dr. Huang's birthday. Complete with a traditional Chinese meal at a nice restaurant nearby. I feel as if I am ready to travel home now but I have to get Dr. Huang's o.k. I am ready to get home and start my physical therapy program. In response to the money issue, we paid by travellers checks which worked out o.k., it took just a few hours to complete the transaction at a nearby bank. Really not more to say, all is quiet here, Dr. Huang has 4 surgeries tomorrow, so maybe we'll have more to talk about after that. Bob P.S. Dr. Huang is truly the nicest man you will ever meet and has gone out of his way to make us feel as comfortable and at home as possible.Every time I think he's done it all, he does more.

[This message was edited by handibob on 10-03-03 at 07:08 AM.]

Comment

Bob,
        Awesome news!! I'm sure it feels wonderful to feel well enough for the trech home. What kind of exercise regimine will you be involved in at the Detroit Medical Center?

Comment

Hello Everyone, Postings have been slow as has been the waiting due to the Holiday. We were told last night by Dr. Huang that a full staff will not return until the 8th of October, that's when we will get our post-op testing done. We should be on our flight home on the 13th, which was our original plan. My swelling in my legs has been nothing less than dramatic, in that it is still gone my legs are warm and for the first time in 4 years look normal. I have been practicing sitting on the side of the bed and balancing, I can place my hands behind my HEAD!! I was also able to move my left foot on the floor in a sliding motion toward my right. And the right foot continues to improve, as far as better movement. The Beijing air, has caused me to have allergy problems nothing new from home so I have been coughing quite a bit. I can cough much better since the surgery having no problem, it is loud and strong. As far as my exercise regimeine at the DMC, I still haven't put that together yet. As soon as I do, I will let you know. The weather is beautiful here about 65 and sunny. We went out onto the streets of Beijing to people watch and to do a little shopping, DVD's are only $1.00... That's it for now, talk to you soon Bob

Comment

Great circulation, a solid cough, balance and more strength in your legs!!! I can't wait for the post-op exam. Sounds like a terrific beginning for 6 months of intensive PT.
            I'll bet you're ready to boogey on home to get started!! [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by handibob:

We went out onto the streets of Beijing to people watch and to do a little shopping, DVD's are only $1.00...
              I bet they're pirated DVDs. [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img] If I send you $50 would ya bring me some back. [img]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

_____
              Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.
              Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

Comment

Too bad you guys aren't overlapping with Dr. W. Young when he arrives on the 16th. I would have changed my flight plans [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]. Great to read your updates and to hear about your recovery.

Comment

Bob, I'm so damn behind ya, its hard to imagine. Go baby go!!

Hey could you aks Huang or his people some time when ya get a minute if they accept credit cards or some kinda payment system for the procedure? I ain't got a spare nickel but if I could put it on the card, I could squeeeeeze my SSI payment a little more, drink a little less beer and, ya know... Thanx, Morgo

Live for today, look to tomorrow
                  Live for today, look to tomorrow

Comment

Morgan - Most credit cards will allow you to get a 'cash advance' on the card - you might try that!

Comment

What is the chance of this operation being done in CANADA - any thoughts

Comment

Felps - There is a proportionally large amount of research happening in Canada. Good research, too. Although, I am unaware of OEG studies.

My advice would be for you to contact Rick Hansen, Man in Motion. I'm sure Canada has less resistance to using fetal tissue. A Canadian trial might be a good way to bring the procedure to North America. But getting some high profile people to champion the effort might not be easy. But worthwhile!

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~
                        ~See you at the CareCure-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

Comment

In regards to a couple of questions that have been asked, according to Dr. Huang, I was misdiagnosed as an incomplete Asia C. According to Dr. Huang, I am an Asia B. He told me this before the surgery, it just occurred to me now. According to Dr. Huang in order to be an Asia C, you must have anal sphincter control. Movement or sensory below the level of injury without sphincter control only classifies you as Asia B. I specifically asked my physiatrist at my last Asia exam and he said without a doubt I was Asia C. Also, in Dr. Huang's opinion, there are no Chronic Spinal Cord Paitents, there is always room for improvement. His definition of a chronic condition is something that progressively gets worse, not stabalized. Dr. Young mentioned also that not taking antispasm medication may have an impact on some of the early return shown after the surgery, well I haven't been on any antispasmodics for over 3 years. Hopefully that clears that up. Our testing should begin tomorrow, as the staff comes back to work from the holiday and we plan on returning home on the 13th. Talk to you all soon, Bob

Comment

Karen and Bob, So glad you'll be back home soon. Did you buy more luggage to carry all your purchases from the Silk Market?....now I know why you packed so lightly going there. You're in my prayers everyday. Love ya bunches, Paula

Comment

Bob, based on your description, you are likely to be an ASIA C. I just posted a discussion of ASIA classification in another topic. This is of course my opinion and I have not polled doctors to find out how they are applying the definition. What is defined and what is practiced may be different.

First, I am assuming that you have anal sphincter sensation. If you have that, you are not ASIA A. Second, you have motor function below the neurological level (you described wiggling your toes). This would put you into the category of ASIA C. You do not necessarily have to have sphincter control to be ASIA C. All you need is rectal/sphincter sensation and some motor function below your neurological level.

Wise.

Comment

Bob, are you aware of any other Americans who are scheduled to go over there for this procedure. I've seen many people on this site talking about plans and wanting to go next year, but do you know if Dr. Huang has mentioned that any others are actually going and scheduled soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X