Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dereks ASIA A

Dear Corrinne
    Derek did have some motor function before Dr. Huangs surgery below the injury site. He had minor control of his quads , left greater than right. He had minor and stable left L1 area and able to lock his left knee. The right has continued to be weaker than the left. However, before the surgery in China Derek had no bladder control or bowel function. As you know, the ASIA scoring can be confusing but motor function below the injury site without L5 is still considered ASIA A. Dereks spinal cord was severed by a piece of bone for 2 days before he could have surgery.
    I hope this helps clarify things. There is always a debate on ASIA scoring.

Dear LFC
    Yes, Derek did his initial rehab at SCVMC. What is your sons name. Hos is he doing? I'm sure most people remember us there because Derek had some serios complications during rehab. Do you remember he had a serios spinal cord leak into his lung? I would like to know how things are if you have time
    Jenet

Comment

• Hello Daryl and Laura!!!!!
      How are you both. I have misplaced your phone number. Email me privately at 4langjahr@verizon.net
      Give my best wishes, largest hugs and smiles to beautiful Laura
      Jenet

Comment

• Originally posted by jenet
        Dear Corrinne
        Derek did have some motor function before Dr. Huangs surgery below the injury site. He had minor control of his quads , left greater than right. He had minor and stable left L1 area and able to lock his left knee. The right has continued to be weaker than the left. However, before the surgery in China Derek had no bladder control or bowel function. As you know, the ASIA scoring can be confusing but motor function below the injury site without L5 is still considered ASIA A. Dereks spinal cord was severed by a piece of bone for 2 days before he could have surgery.
        I hope this helps clarify things. There is always a debate on ASIA scoring.
        Jenet, thanks a lot for the clarification !
        www.endparalysis.org!

Comment

• Dr. Huang's Procedure

I am not sure exactly the gains I have received from the procedure I received from Dr. Huang in April of 2004 but there have been several positive results. I will post them when I recover from this fall I had at the store when I was pushed to the ground and left there. It has been a difficult month for me in the Hospital with a hip fracture due to that push and fall and subsequent hip surgery. I now have Home Health coming daily after returning from the spinal cord rehab Hospital. It is difficult to sit for any long duration of time. I do want to say that there were many positive results from his procedure. The only negative was more sensation and more pain. I have suffered from several types of Neuropathic Pain for years before and after my spinal cord surgeries to remove an Intramedulary tumor causing paralysis and eventual death if not removed. I have more central, and allodynia pain from the gain of more sensation below my injury site after the surgery in China. I also have more pain in the leg that was a drop foot and the weak one from a "Brown Sequard Syndrome". This is the same leg I just had the hip fracture on because when I fell at the store, I fell on that side. So do not loose hope they are working on cures and I am sure several will develop.
          Bridget
          As always, my best wishes for everyone.

BRIDGET77

Comment

• the results of my follow-up exam in may 2006

Robert Donald Smith

2006-6-30

Mr. Robert Donald Smith, a 48-year-old American male patient, was admitted to China on September 16, 2003, presented with paralysis of four extremities due to a diving accident from a boat occurred on July 4, 1999. He underwent an emergency decompression of spinal cord and a fusion of cervical vertebrae (C4-6) at that time. Then, the patient underwent tracheotomy due to aspiration pneumonitis. His bladder and bowel sensation remained, but with no control. He had shortness of breath when he spoke.

DIAGNOSIS: Traumatic chronic spinal cord injury (C5-6) (ASIA Grade C)

PHYSICAL EXAMINATION: Neurological examination revealed: Muscular power: elbow flexors 4/5 bilaterally; elbow extensors 3/5 on the right, 4/5 on the left; wrist extensors 4/5 bilaterally; middle finger flexors 2/5 bilaterally; little finger abductors 0/5 bilaterally; hip flexors 2/5 on the right, 0/5 on the left; knee extensors 2/5 on the right, 0/5 on the left, ankle dorsiflexors 0/5 bilaterally, ankle plantar flexors 2/5 on the right, 0/5 on the left; long toe extensors 0/5 bilaterally. Light touch and pin prick sensation absented below T4 level bilaterally. No sweating in the dermatomes below C6 level except for buttocks and perineum. Moderate edema in his lower extremities bilaterally.

l ASIA motor score was 20 points on the right, left 15 points.

l ASIA light touch score was 33 points on the right, left 33 points.

l ASIA pin prick score was 33 points on the right, left 33 points.

l The score of Xishan Hospital Spinal Cord Injury Functional Rating Scale was 8 points.

OPERATIVE PROCEDURE: Under general anesthesia, the surgical transplantation of olfactory ensheathing glial cells procedure was performed on September 23, 2003. 50 µliters containing about 1,000,000 cells was injected into surrounding C5 segment.

POST-OPERATIVE COURSE: At discharge, the patient gained some neurological functional improvements. Muscular power: elbow flexors 5/5 bilaterally; elbow extensors 4/5 on the right, 5/5 on the left; wrist extensors 4/5 bilaterally; middle finger flexors 3/5 bilaterally; little finger abductors 2/5 bilaterally; hip flexors 2/5 bilaterally; knee extensors 3/5 bilaterally, ankle dorsflexors 2/5 on the right, 0/5 on the left; ankle plantar flexors 3/5 on the right, 2/5 on the left; long toe extensors2/5 bilaterally. Edema in his lower extremities disappeared bilaterally. Shortness of breath during speaking decreased.

l ASIA motor score was 24 points on the right, left 24 points.

l ASIA light touch score was 33 points on the right, left 37 points.

l ASIA pin prick score was 33 points on the right, left 37 points.

l The score of Xishan Hospital Spinal Cord Injury Functional Rating Scale was 16 points.

Pulmonary function test on October 4, 2003 showed that VC MAX 4.37L, FVC 4.37L.

Compared with the pre-operation, the post-operative electromyography (EMG) showed that recruitment of the hard contraction of both sides of Vastus Lat muscles was changed and its pattern was improved and more intensive.

PHYSICAL THERAPY AT HOME:

l Physical therapy and walking with brace: 3 hours per day.

FOLLOW-UP (May 15, 2006): Neurological examination revealed muscular power: elbow flexors 5/5 bilaterally; elbow extensors 4/5 bilaterally; wrist extensors 4/5 on the right, 5/5 on the left; middle finger flexors 1/5 bilaterally; little finger abductors 1/5 bilaterally; hip flexors 2/5 bilaterally, knee extensors 4/5 on the right, 3/5 on the left, ankle dorsflexors 1/5 bilaterally, ankle plantar flexors 1/5 bilaterally, long toe extensors 3/5 on the right, 1/5 on the left.

l ASIA motor score was 26 points on the right, left 24 points.

l ASIA light touch score was 52 points on the right, left 51 points.

l ASIA pin prick score was 45 points on the right, left 48 points.

l The score of Xishan Hospital Spinal Cord Injury Functional Rating Scale was 24 points.

Pulmonary function test on May 15, 2006 showed that VC 4.83L, FVC 4.52L.

EMG revealed that the recruitment of the hard contraction of both sides of Deltoid muscles was improved and more intensive, the number of the motor unit potential was increased, compared with the EMG performed at short-term post-operative.

Edited by Liu Ruiwen, M.D. & Chen Li

£*Backing out £*

2006.7.21 Friday
            Searching

Neuro-Regeneration, Repair and Functional Recovery 2006-2007 Copyright
            Copyright ©2006-2007 www.nrrfr.com,All Right Reserved E-mail:nrrfr88@gmail.com

Comment

• so Handi- what does it all mean?

I get cross-eyed reading the numbers and comparing

are you better? in what ways and how much usable function?
              "I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked..."
              - Allen Ginsburg

Comment

• Hi Justin,

It looks like he made huge gains in terms of:

Light touch went from 33 points on the right and 33 points on the left to 52 points on the right and 51 points on the left.

Pin prick went from 33 points on the right and 33 points on the left to 45 points on the right and 48 points on the left.

Motor improved from 20 points on the right and 15 points on the left to 26 points on the right and 24 points on the left.

Functional gains scale improved from 8 points to 24 points.
                Last edited by antiquity; 08-14-2006, 02:14 AM.

Comment

• i was wondering how is handibob doing with his trip to to china for his surgery. does anyone know?

Comment

• I have not had a second surgery. I did go back to Beijing in May for a post-op exam. My results from that were what I posted above. Bob

Comment

• Question Bob?

Originally posted by handibob
                      I have not had a second surgery. I did go back to Beijing in May for a post-op exam. My results from that were what I posted above. Bob
                      Bob good luck I hope it was worth it for you. Have you had a follow up MRI done since surgery, or any electrical functional nerve testing? It would be of scientific value to see any new nerve development or remylination, although remylination may not show on an MRI. You don't have to answer this if you feel it's personal, but why did you decided on no further surgery.

Comment

• Chip, Dr Huang did an mri but I did not get the results, but from what I understand an mri really can't tell a great deal about nerves or remylination. I am waiting until a better surgery is available, a combo hopefully. He also did an emg which I believe the report above answers your question about improvements, which there definately were. Bob

Comment

Working...
                        X