Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doctors in China carry out world first spine surgery

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #61
    Originally posted by GRAMMY View Post
    This sounds as though the scaffold was already run through human trials and what they're looking at is the "stem cells" being added. They're already mentioning a future additive being targeted as neural stem cells with appropriate nerve growth factors to enhance regeneration. We'll see where this goes...
    Abstract

    Spinal cord injury (SCI) is still a worldwide clinical challenge for which there is no viable therapeutic method. We focused on developing combinatorial methods targeting the complex pathological process of SCI. In this study, we implanted linear-ordered collagen scaffold (LOCS) fibers with collagen binding brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) by tagging a collagen-binding domain (CBD) (LOCS + CBD-BDNF) in completely transected canine SCI with multisystem rehabilitation to validate its potential therapeutic effect through a long-term (38 weeks) observation. We found that LOCS + CBD-BDNF implants strikingly promoted locomotion and functional sensory recovery, with some dogs standing unassisted and transiently moving. Further histological analysis showed that administration of LOCS + CBD-BDNF reduced lesion volume, decreased collagen deposits, promoted axon regeneration and improved myelination, leading to functional recovery. Collectively, LOCS + CBD-BDNF showed striking therapeutic effect on completely transected canine SCI model and it is the first time to report such breakthrough in the war with SCI. Undoubtedly, it is a potentially promising therapeutic method for SCI paralysis or other movement disorders caused by neurological diseases in the future.


    I don't see any mention of any stem cells in this dog study in which dogs we able to stand and walk. Do I have that right?

    Comment


      #62
      Originally posted by Nowhere Man View Post
      Abstract

      Spinal cord injury (SCI) is still a worldwide clinical challenge for which there is no viable therapeutic method. We focused on developing combinatorial methods targeting the complex pathological process of SCI. In this study, we implanted linear-ordered collagen scaffold (LOCS) fibers with collagen binding brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) by tagging a collagen-binding domain (CBD) (LOCS + CBD-BDNF) in completely transected canine SCI with multisystem rehabilitation to validate its potential therapeutic effect through a long-term (38 weeks) observation. We found that LOCS + CBD-BDNF implants strikingly promoted locomotion and functional sensory recovery, with some dogs standing unassisted and transiently moving. Further histological analysis showed that administration of LOCS + CBD-BDNF reduced lesion volume, decreased collagen deposits, promoted axon regeneration and improved myelination, leading to functional recovery. Collectively, LOCS + CBD-BDNF showed striking therapeutic effect on completely transected canine SCI model and it is the first time to report such breakthrough in the war with SCI. Undoubtedly, it is a potentially promising therapeutic method for SCI paralysis or other movement disorders caused by neurological diseases in the future.


      I don't see any mention of any stem cells in this dog study in which dogs we able to stand and walk. Do I have that right?
      That's correct. That particular abstract was only talking about the scaffold and even then it's only about "dogs". I simply couldn't find anything where a trial had already been done and the scaffold in question proven safe in humans. The way it was worded ("we now put on the stand") mesenchymal cells, one would assume the scaffold trial in itself had already been done. It's totally confusing. I didn't bother having the actual published scaffold dog study sent to me and couldn't nail down the whole stem cell strategy for sure.
      http://spinalcordresearchandadvocacy.wordpress.com/

      Comment


        #63
        Originally posted by GRAMMY View Post
        That's correct. That particular abstract was only talking about the scaffold and even then it's only about "dogs". I simply couldn't find anything where a trial had already been done and the scaffold in question proven safe in humans. The way it was worded ("we now put on the stand") mesenchymal cells, one would assume the scaffold trial in itself had already been done. It's totally confusing. I didn't bother having the actual published scaffold dog study sent to me and couldn't nail down the whole stem cell strategy for sure.
        One must wonder why if the scaffold worked so well without stem cells (unprecedented results! Dogs walking after complete transection!) why would they add stem cells to their therapy in humans?

        Comment


          #64
          What is the difference between this scaffold and Invivo's?

          Comment


            #65
            Originally posted by GRAMMY View Post
            That's correct. That particular abstract was only talking about the scaffold and even then it's only about "dogs". I simply couldn't find anything where a trial had already been done and the scaffold in question proven safe in humans. The way it was worded ("we now put on the stand") mesenchymal cells, one would assume the scaffold trial in itself had already been done. It's totally confusing. I didn't bother having the actual published scaffold dog study sent to me and couldn't nail down the whole stem cell strategy for sure.
            Grammy,Let me try to explain this for you.
            In July 2014,Dr Dai Jianwu's team,The world first operation using linear-ordered collagen scaffold combine with autologous bone marrow stem cells to fix the scarring of the uteriene wall of the infertilty patient had been done in Gulou Hospital,Nanjing.(I mean the baby was borned on this day),the operation was done a year ago maybe.)
            Until now,there are 9 patients had the operations, 5 of them got pregnant,3 of them already had the babies.
            They are using the same scaffold now treating the SCI, I think the differences is what kind of stem cells they are using. I think this is the human trial which you may want to know.
            Please ignore my spelling.
            Last edited by y8225009; 2 Feb 2015, 9:03 PM.

            Comment


              #66
              Originally posted by y8225009 View Post
              Grammy,Let me try to explain this for you.
              In July 2014,Dr Dai Jianwu's team,The world first operation using linear-ordered collagen scaffold combine with autologous bone marrow stem cells to fix the scarring of the uteriene wall of the infertilty patient had been done in Gulou Hospital,Nanjing.(I mean the baby was borned on this day),the operation was done a year ago maybe.)
              Until now,there are 9 patients had the operations, 5 of them got pregnant,3 of them already had the babies.
              They are using the same scaffold now treating the SCI, I think the differences is what kind of stem cells they are using. I think this is the human trial which you may want to know.
              Please ignore my spelling.
              Ok, so then this scaffold treatment has indeed already been in clinical trial (to correct uterus scarring in female human). I'm assuming also you're saying the same stem cells are being used (mesenchymal bone marrow stem cells) in both the uterus scarring and spinal cord regeneration repair trial. Is that correct understanding?

              Can you tell me why they bothered to test it in a SCI indication "as is" instead of just adding the neural stem cells and getting on with increasing regeneration since they already established the safety for both the collagen scaffold and cell type? Does that question make sense to you?
              http://spinalcordresearchandadvocacy.wordpress.com/

              Comment


                #67
                Originally posted by #LHB# View Post
                What is the difference between this scaffold and Invivo's?
                Lee, I'm not the best with understanding all the biomaterials. I usually have to ask for a lot of help on the materials and qualities of each one. It's much more complicated and like nrf says, "above my pay grade", but I'm going to attempt to answer this anyway...

                The one in this thread is made of "collagen" and laced with brain neurotrophic growth factor (BDNF). If I understand InVivo correctly, the one currently in CT for acute is one made of 50% poly glycolic acid (PGLA) and a copolymer of polylysine. I believe it's supposed to be a degradable synthetic one. However, in the future when the chronic one is seeded with neural stem cells it is also supposed to have a some type of trophic support added to it.
                http://spinalcordresearchandadvocacy.wordpress.com/

                Comment


                  #68
                  Originally posted by GRAMMY View Post
                  Ok, so then this scaffold treatment has indeed already been in clinical trial (to correct uterus scarring in female human). I'm assuming also you're saying the same stem cells are being used (mesenchymal bone marrow stem cells) in both the uterus scarring and spinal cord regeneration repair trial. Is that correct understanding?

                  Can you tell me why they bothered to test it in a SCI indication "as is" instead of just adding the neural stem cells and getting on with increasing regeneration since they already established the safety for both the collagen scaffold and cell type? Does that question make sense to you?
                  Oh,I see.
                  They had a good result of animal studies with LOCS+Autologous bone marrow stem cells,so they did this trial.They are going to observe the patients,if it doesn't work,then they will try neural stem cells or growth factor. I think it is the same thing as Dr Wise's Chinascinet,he will try embryonic stem cell first since his animal studies shows positive,then he will try neural stem cells if the outcome is no good.

                  Comment


                    #69
                    Not bone marrow stem cell for Christ sakes their garbage. I was under the impression the collagen scaffold was used in combination with autologous neural stem cells? Did I seriously just miss read this entire thread, because I thought that treatment was already used in six human patients.

                    If I seriously just miss read this entire thread, I'm going to be heartbroken lol. I fucking hate The repetitive useless use of bone marrow stem cells, they don't show enough promise!! Neural stem cells barely show great gain on their own, but it is known that they are the best option for potential regeneration in the CNS (in terms of cell type) that's why I was excited to see neural stem cells use with this collagen scaffold.
                    Last edited by JamesMcM; 3 Feb 2015, 2:28 PM.

                    Comment


                      #70
                      Originally posted by y8225009 View Post
                      Oh,I see.
                      They had a good result of animal studies with LOCS+Autologous bone marrow stem cells,so they did this trial.They are going to observe the patients,if it doesn't work,then they will try neural stem cells or growth factor. I think it is the same thing as Dr Wise's Chinascinet,he will try embryonic stem cell first since his animal studies shows positive,then he will try neural stem cells if the outcome is no good.
                      Thank you for explaining the strategy. In actuality, the uterus scar trial to treat female infertility caused by severe intrauterine adhesions or endometrial dysplasia actually recruited for both cells types.

                      The infertility trial being done with autologous bone marrow stem cells loaded scaffold. https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02204358
                      The infertility trial with umbilical cord blood derived mesenchyma cells loaded scaffold. https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02313415

                      The collagen scaffold with collagen binding BDNF enhances functional recovery by facilitating peripheral nerve infiltrating and ingrowth in canine complete spinal cord transection. The CSCB has an evident therapeutic effect by facilitating "peripheral nerve infiltrating" following the severe spinal cord injury in canine animals.
                      LINK:
                      http://spinalcordresearchandadvocacy.wordpress.com/

                      Comment


                        #71
                        Originally posted by Nowhere Man View Post
                        One must wonder why if the scaffold worked so well without stem cells (unprecedented results! Dogs walking after complete transection!) why would they add stem cells to their therapy in humans?
                        I wonder too. I guess it looks to be the testing of various cell types and different medical conditions available at that hospital or something.
                        http://spinalcordresearchandadvocacy.wordpress.com/

                        Comment


                          #72
                          You pointed out a good question Grammy, why don't they just push forward with the nerve stem cells and/or nerve growth factor with the collagen fold. Like you said apparently they know it safe, and they said that they plan to use these for more potential in regeneration. Why not just go for gold get to the good stuff, not procrastinating with bone marrow stem cells sesh.

                          Dumb question but the scaffold technology potentially grows into the spinal cord correct? Meaning It stays there for remainder of The patients life? Collagen is the main structural protein of connective tissue right, so it's pretty abundant in our bodies, so it shouldn't be rejected or cause damage did anyway as collagen protein should already be in the spinal cord right? Here's the really dumb part, why does it look so artificial, it looks like A bunch of string.

                          Comment


                            #73
                            I'm trying not to get too excited about this but it looks so promising. In my twenty years with a spinal cord injury there have been a lot of let downs... but I have noticed that each one progresses past the last one. It's just a long road.

                            Comment


                              #74
                              Couple of articles describing the scaffold and cells

                              http://health.economictimes.indiatim...njury/45936331

                              http://english.cas.cn/head/201501/t2...9_135475.shtml

                              Comment


                                #75
                                And one more
                                http://www.scmp.com/news/china/artic...riment-chinese

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X