No announcement yet.

Doctors in China carry out world first spine surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you Jyi and East Dragon for updates.

Hope some results will be there this summer from this phase two trial if positive.

Jyi, East Dragon any news that they taking all injury patients in phase two or not yet?

Comment

no more information.

Comment

Originally posted by Jyi View Post
        From the download PDF document page 4

?At four and eight weeks, the density of linear fibrous tissues and cell infiltration were significantly increased in and around the scaffold of CS/ bFGF group compared to those of the control and CS-treated groups (Figure 6). The H&E staining also showed that CS degraded gradually with the
        time went on.
        The CS/bFGF group showed higher NF-positive neural fiber density than that of the control and CS group. Besides, the NF-positive neural fibers could extend into the scaffold, and grew along with the direction of CS. The NF-positive fibers were hardly observed in and around SCI sites in the control and CS-treated group (Figure 7).?

NF → neurofilament
        Is the NF-positive neural fiber = axon ? I don?t know.

Are you responding to me? If so, I'm not talking about words, I'm talking about images. I want to see clear as day axon growth, that a layman like me can see and believe. The images in the article are not clear and not easy to see what is occurring. I see those images many times in bum studies. I want to see something like this:

Comment

Originally posted by Nowhere Man View Post
          Are you responding to me? If so, I'm not talking about words, I'm talking about images. I want to see clear as day axon growth, that a layman like me can see and believe. The images in the article are not clear and not easy to see what is occurring. I see those images many times in bum studies. I want to see something like this:

What study is that picture from
          "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
          Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Comment

I've always been curious do we need to fully connect (as in all of those red lines exactly the way they should be across the injury) the cord and axons in order to have full function, full use of our bodies?

Comment

Originally posted by lunasicc42 View Post
              What study is that picture from
              A PTEN study from 4 years ago. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2928871/

That's the kind of image I expect to see in any animal study claiming regeneration.

Comment

@EastDragon - where are those videos in chinese? I can get my friend to translate them for me. Please post the links here.
                I was injured 2 weeks after my 16th birthday on June 14th, 2004. My level of injury is C5 complete, but I can move my wrist.

My screen name comes from the movie The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Comment

Originally posted by JamesMcM View Post
                  I've always been curious do we need to fully connect (as in all of those red lines exactly the way they should be across the injury) the cord and axons in order to have full function, full use of our bodies?
                  james, the answer is no, you don't need to connect all the axons to their original points to obtain functional recovery. Animal studies suggest that you need at least 10% of the axons to have substantial walking recovery. However, recent studies suggest that the 10% may not be sufficient for regenerated axons. The reasons may be twofold.

First, regenerated axons are very unlikely to be connecting to the same neurons above and below the spinal cord injury site that they use to. The brain does not know which regenerated descending axon is connecting to which neuron and whence each regenerating ascending axon comes from. We believe, for this reason, intensive training is necessary for recovery. The brain has to learn the connections again through repetitive training with feedback.

Second, we know that synaptic connections will weaken and perhaps even disconnect if they are not used. This is one of the reasons why we think subjects in Kinming recovered walking and those in Hong Kong did not. The former received intensive locomotor training and the latter did not. We also know that some of the subjects in the Kunming study went home at 3-6 months, stopped walking, and regressed, although it appears that they can regain their previous walking levels with only a week or two of training.

All of the above need to be confirmed on further studies. This is the first time that we have an opportunity to study recovery in patients with chronic complete SCI. It should provide important insights into not only the mechanisms of recovery but how we can improve recovery. We have been working on several different approaches to enhancing recovery with devices and rehabilitative strategies.

Wise.

Comment

It's extremely exciting that we are finally able to study recovery in chronic patients. But the pace is very debilitating I wonder if 10% of axons would be enough to allow other functions to be regained BBS, sensation, hand, arm. Obviously your next trial may provide some light on that question.

Comment

Have you seen anything redundant in nature?

Comment

I have been trying to contact all of the contacts on the clinical trial page for updates or potential for foreigners to get involved. No responses yet. Anyone else have better luck? any updates this trial is expected to be completed next year, phase II potentially already started.

Comment

i know a man of completely c6 had gotten some recovery .now he can feel his calf and anus when you touch him. his name is Liu. he still stay in a hospital of tianjin city.
                          Last edited by east dragon; 16 May 2015, 1:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by east dragon View Post
                            i know a man of completely c4 had gotten some recovery .now he can feel his calf and anus when you touch him. his name is Liu. he still stay in a hospital of tianjin city.
                            Is he Acute or chronic?
                            "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
                            Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Comment

Originally posted by lunasicc42 View Post
                              Is he Acute or chronic?
                              all are chronic

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	214545h4xfz1zrp9xmr4vc.png
Views:	1
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	2658729 this is Liu. 51 years old. got sci before 2 year. He was subjected to operation on January 16 2015.

i will update if have any new information.
                                Last edited by east dragon; 16 May 2015, 2:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X