Doctors in China carry out world first spine surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by taymas View Post
    Google stem cell tourism and some sites news articles discuss the disgusting telephone conversations they've had.
    Huh? What's going on with telephone conversations?
    http://spinalcordresearchandadvocacy.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by GRAMMY View Post
      Huh? What's going on with telephone conversations?
      Hi, do you have 40,000 dollars? We cured toe fungus with these things. Want a shot?

(extreme sarcasm / apologies)

Comment

seems like the choices are between unproven and nothing. you can argue the validity of the clinics but how can you mock those who take a leap of faith. To me those who offer phony cures are a smidgen worse than those who let disabled suffer to raise another hundred million for trials that go nowhere.

i just saw on vice the other night that they may have found a way to cure many different cancers and people are being treated and are recovering as we speak. congrats to cancer survivors. cancer and aids may be the only non prescription based illnesses that will ever see cures too due to the massive amounts of money they draw. while I've been hurt for 16 years and have seen nothing in terms of even advances in the conditions of those with sci. sci seems like a longshot in the cures in my lifetime list and you know with the proper climate this condition could be conquered by the many brains in the medical field especially with the advancements in technology.

I never thought I would watch my life pass me by like this....

Comment

Originally posted by c473s View Post
          Hi, do you have 40,000 dollars? We cured toe fungus with these things. Want a shot?

(extreme sarcasm / apologies)
          That's ok, I understand what you're talking about now. Oh GADS! The audacity of it all. I gathered it was pretty deep since they even had patents on stem cells for weight loss now? A cure for everything from pimples to paralysis as long as you have 35k-40k in the bank you're a target if you reach out to them and haven't done some homework so you know better. It's sad but true that some people are openly preyed on.
          http://spinalcordresearchandadvocacy.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Eric.S View Post
            seems like the choices are between unproven and nothing. you can argue the validity of the clinics but how can you mock those who take a leap of faith. To me those who offer phony cures are a smidgen worse than those who let disabled suffer to raise another hundred million for trials that go nowhere.

i just saw on vice the other night that they may have found a way to cure many different cancers and people are being treated and are recovering as we speak. congrats to cancer survivors. cancer and aids may be the only non prescription based illnesses that will ever see cures too due to the massive amounts of money they draw. while I've been hurt for 16 years and have seen nothing in terms of even advances in the conditions of those with sci. sci seems like a longshot in the cures in my lifetime list and you know with the proper climate this condition could be conquered by the many brains in the medical field especially with the advancements in technology.

I never thought I would watch my life pass me by like this....
            I don't doubt that there are some truly trying to do good work. I have dreamed that SCI would one day get much larger dollars for research. I tend to ask more questions when clinics want money upfront and hold out that the cells they give you can treat multiple conditions. To date I haven't seen success. I believe if one has success that the patient will be all over the news screaming so others may follow.

Comment

Originally posted by Nowhere Man View Post
              I agree with you 100 per cent. Does operating in Panama lower the legitimacy of the cell medicine clinic? The FDA is THE problem. The cure is hear...well not hear in U.S. but hear as in the present. That is why I adore the Panama clinic and am going to go for treatment.

The clinic says that numerous patients have recovered after treatment their. I don?t assume Panama clinicians are liars, until proven.
              They don't have approval in any reputable countries, nor funding because they have no consistent data be it animal or human to do so. So they sneak off to panama and charged 30 big for nothing. There is no comparison here, your just sounding like an idiot now man.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesMcM View Post
                They don't have approval in any reputable countries, nor funding because they have no consistent data be it animal or human to do so. So they sneak off to panama and charged 30 big for nothing. There is no comparison here, your just sounding like an idiot now man.
                he's being sarcastic.....

Comment

Originally posted by Nowhere Man View Post
                  I'm talking to the board in general, not directly at you James. "Hey all". There were several people in THIS THREAD, that said animal studies are not important / irrelevant & most are just glad it is being done in humans. (Even though animal studies were "done" (no paper is in thread & shady results)). I assume this board is equivalently excited about the Panama center.
                  It is complete unfair to compare this trial to "Panama trial".
                  I recall that Dr Wise once said "Chinese FDA is even stricter than US FDA". No animal studies,no paper???? Of course they did,however,they won't publish due to a lot of reasons. The Chinese don't do things in America way.

Comment

Stop talking about that Panama shit. It's not worth

Comment

Originally posted by y8225009 View Post
                      It is complete unfair to compare this trial to "Panama trial".
                      I recall that Dr Wise once said "Chinese FDA is even stricter than US FDA". No animal studies,no paper???? Of course they did,however,they won't publish due to a lot of reasons. The Chinese don't do things in America way.
                      I know they have "animal studies". I just don't believe their results. All I have seen is an abstract which has no evidence in it.

What do you mean they won't publish the animal studies? I thought they were published in the journal "Biomaterials"? Can you get a copy & post?

Comment

Date: 20 Jan 2014
                        Collagen scaffolds modified with collagen-binding bFGF promotes the neural regeneration in a rat hemisected spinal cord injury model

Abstract

Nerve conduit is one of strategies for spine cord injury (SCI) treatment. Recently, studies showed that biomaterials could guide the neurite growth and promote axon regeneration at the injury site. However, the scaffold by itself was difficult to meet the need of SCI functional recovery. The basic fibroblast growth factor (bFGF) administration significantly promotes functional recovery after organ injuries. Here, using a rat model of T9 hemisected SCI, we aimed at assessing the repair capacity of implantation of collagen scaffold (CS) modified by collagen binding bFGF (CBD-bFGF). The results showed that CS combined with CBD-bFGF treatment improved survival rates after the lateral hemisection SCI. The CS/CBD-bFGF group showed more significant improvements in motor than the simply CS-implanted and untreated control group, when evaluated by the 21-point Basso-Beattie-Bresnahan (BBB) score and footprint analysis. Both hematoxylin and eosin (H&E) and immunohistochemical staining of neurofilament (NF) and glial fibrillary acidic protein (GFAP) demonstrated that fibers were guided to grow through the implants. These findings indicated that administration of CS modified with CBD-bFGF could promote spinal cord regeneration and functional recovery.

http://link.springer.com/article/10....427-014-4612-7

Comment

next step
                          预计临床研究第二阶段将在3月份进行:筛选临床研究受试者20-25例,手术后进行系统康复训练、心理干预和营养调节,通过1年左右的临床观察,对疗效进行初步评 估。
                          参与脊髓损伤临床研究的医院联系方式:
                          中国武警脑科医院(天津):022-60577134,韩医生、云医生在;邮箱:wjnkyyn12@126.com
                          苏州大学附属第一医院(苏州):0512-67780101,周医生、史医生;邮箱:sdfyyspine@163.com
                          解放军总医院第一附属医院(北京):010-66848873,杨医生、梁医生;邮箱:spinalcord304tang@163.com

Comment

Originally posted by east dragon View Post
                            next step
                            预计临床研究第二阶段将在3月份进行:筛选临床研究受试者20-25例,手术后进行系统康复训练、心理干预和营养调节,通过1年左右的临床观察,对疗效进行初步评 估。
                            参与脊髓损伤临床研究的医院联系方式:
                            中国武警脑科医院(天津):022-60577134,韩医生、云医生在;邮箱:wjnkyyn12@126.com
                            苏州大学附属第一医院(苏州):0512-67780101,周医生、史医生;邮箱:sdfyyspine@163.com
                            解放军总医院第一附属医院(北京):010-66848873,杨医生、梁医生;邮箱:spinalcord304tang@163.com
                            google translate:

"The second phase is expected to be in a clinical study conducted in March: screening of clinical research subjects 20-25 cases for system rehabilitation after surgery, psychological intervention and nutritional regulation, through clinical observation of a year or so, a preliminary assessment of efficacy.

Spinal cord injury clinical research participation Hospital Contact:

Brain Hospital of Chinese People's Armed Police (Tianjin): 022-60577134, Dr. Han, cloud doctor; E-mail: wjnkyyn12@126.com
                            First Affiliated Hospital of Soochow University (Suzhou): 0512-67780101, Dr. Zhou, Dr. Shi; E-mail: sdfyyspine@163.com
                            First Affiliated Hospital of PLA General Hospital (Beijing): 010-66848873, Dr. Yang, Dr Leung; E-mail: spinalcord304tang@163.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jyi View Post
                              Date: 20 Jan 2014
                              Collagen scaffolds modified with collagen-binding bFGF promotes the neural regeneration in a rat hemisected spinal cord injury model

Abstract

Nerve conduit is one of strategies for spine cord injury (SCI) treatment. Recently, studies showed that biomaterials could guide the neurite growth and promote axon regeneration at the injury site. However, the scaffold by itself was difficult to meet the need of SCI functional recovery. The basic fibroblast growth factor (bFGF) administration significantly promotes functional recovery after organ injuries. Here, using a rat model of T9 hemisected SCI, we aimed at assessing the repair capacity of implantation of collagen scaffold (CS) modified by collagen binding bFGF (CBD-bFGF). The results showed that CS combined with CBD-bFGF treatment improved survival rates after the lateral hemisection SCI. The CS/CBD-bFGF group showed more significant improvements in motor than the simply CS-implanted and untreated control group, when evaluated by the 21-point Basso-Beattie-Bresnahan (BBB) score and footprint analysis. Both hematoxylin and eosin (H&E) and immunohistochemical staining of neurofilament (NF) and glial fibrillary acidic protein (GFAP) demonstrated that fibers were guided to grow through the implants. These findings indicated that administration of CS modified with CBD-bFGF could promote spinal cord regeneration and functional recovery.

http://link.springer.com/article/10....427-014-4612-7

acute, incomplete injury, & no clear imaging of axons past injury site.
                              Last edited by Nowhere Man; 3 Mar 2015, 9:15 PM.

Comment

From the download PDF document page 4

“At four and eight weeks, the density of linear fibrous tissues and cell infiltration were significantly increased in and around the scaffold of CS/ bFGF group compared to those of the control and CS-treated groups (Figure 6). The H&E staining also showed that CS degraded gradually with the
                                time went on.
                                The CS/bFGF group showed higher NF-positive neural fiber density than that of the control and CS group. Besides, the NF-positive neural fibers could extend into the scaffold, and grew along with the direction of CS. The NF-positive fibers were hardly observed in and around SCI sites in the control and CS-treated group (Figure 7).”

NF → neurofilament
                                Is the NF-positive neural fiber = axon ? I don’t know.

Comment

Working...
                                X