Scott Hobbs-China

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scott Hobbs-China

This is to let everyone know that at last we are headed to China for Dr. Zhang's peripheral nerve re-routing surgery. We will leave on the 24th of this month. Just a few more days. We are a little more confident about SARS.

We will keep everyone posted on any return after the surgery, which will be one week after we get there.
    Thank You,
    Tifani Hobbs
    tifanihobbs@yahoo.com

Thanks! Please keep us up to date concerning what happens. Wise.

Comment

Hello Wise and all Spinal cord inured. We are still in China and Scott had surgery on the left arm Thursday. Dr. Zhang said it was very successful and Scott's function could come back fast or maybe it will take up to one year. Dr. Zhang did a peripheral nerve re-routing and a tendon transfer. It is unbelievable and now that Scott has had the surgery it will encourage more to go through with this. We were very scared when we got here but everyone was very nice and we were treated very well by Zhang and all staff. Because Scott has such a high cervical injury, and no use of his hands, we are very excited that he will use his fingers. It will allow him to do something for hisself. I am very proud that Scott is and was the first american to have this and now maybe the doors will be opened for so many more who suffer. We would be glad to answer any questions about the surgery. I have heard that paraplegigs can regain the use of there legs with this surgery. Since they have there arms and hands they have donor nerves. Zhang is a very talented and dedicated man and so many can benefit from his procedure. You can email me at tifanihobbs@yahoo.com
      Thank you,
      Tifani Hobbs

Comment

Tifani,

Have you had any return of function since the surgery? Can you give me a ballpark figure of how much it cost?

Thanks,

Deb
        "Save the last dance for me!"

Comment

tifani i'm considering this procedure can you give me a balpark figure also

Comment

I would like to let everyone know that Zhang's procedure is successful and my husband Scott had no function at all in his left hand. His thumb and first finger moved immediately after the surgery and now that we are home all of his fingers on the left arm can flex. It is amazing and we are waiting for the nerves to grow down into the hand for feeling. We only had the left arm done and will have the right arm done, June, 2004. The surgery is realitively cheap. You must pay for the surgery and the guest clinic and meds which are usually from America or Britain. The meds are high. The guest clinic runs about 70 usd a day. Depending on the level of injury, surgery will depend. Due to Scott being very high injured and his weight, the airline tickets are costly. Between 6,- 10,500 usd round trip. The trip is very long from Texas. If you are not over weight or have a problem sitting up for several hours, you can get tickets for about 1400. usd round trip. The staff is very nice and Zhang is a wonderful man. He was with us everyday and we were treated very well.I would tell everyone that was considering going to have some things wrote down in Chinese so that there trip would be easier. I have all info on this and would be more than happy to help. I have heard from the surgeon that if you have a lower injury, that your mobility in your legs can be restored. Unfortuantely, Scott's injury is very high and we are greatful that he has some mobility back. A little function goes a long way when you have nothing. Since, Scott was the first american to have this done, I stand behind this procedure and saw it with my own eyes. Anyone with any guestions can email me as I do not always have a chance to log on to this site. My email is tthbbs409@aol.com. This was hard for us to do because of the money. We had several fundraising events and alot of donations throughout the community.We had to borrow some money as well. It was well worth it. We will forever be greatful to a chinese surgeon who has been in China doing this but americans are just now finding out. Laurence Johnston, an american scientist published a article about Zhang almost 2 years ago and Zhang's procedure was put out there for us to see. What a wonderful article with amazing restorative benefits.Thank you Laurance.

Tifani Hobbs

Comment

This was originally posted in the Announcements forum as an oversight. Tifani has given me permission to move it to the Cure forum.

[This message was edited by seneca on 09-15-03 at 01:14 AM.]

Comment

That is wonderful Tifani, it is amazing the kinds of things being done in China. I hope he keeps on recovering function.

"Life is about how you
                respond to not only the
                challenges you're dealt but
                the challenges you seek...If
                you have no goals, no
                mountains to climb, your
                soul dies".~Liz Fordred
                "Life is about how you
                respond to not only the
                challenges you're dealt but
                the challenges you seek...If
                you have no goals, no
                mountains to climb, your
                soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

I have heard from the surgeon that if you have a lower injury, that your mobility in your legs can be restored.
                  How has this been substantiated?

Comment

Working...
                  X