Help Needed with Study into Proposed Reversal of Spinal Cord Injuries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BOWEL FUNCTION

I have been using and testing a simple exercise, which might help you guys with bowel movements.

Since my theory relates to hydraulic forces in the body, which are dependent on evaporation and therefore breathing out, rather than breathing in is of significant importance.

I decided to conduct a simple experiment on myself first. The idea was that a long slow exhale from the lungs,followed by holding the breath for 8 seconds or more, when lungs are fully evacuated, would assist bowel movement and speed up the whole process.Repeating this breathing exercise, intermittently several times in succession has proved to be effective even with constipation.

Having spoken with a few friends, the normal reaction for A-B people with breathing, during bowel movements is to hold the breath, rather than breathing out.

This method should not require A-B neurological function and therefore may prove useful to people with spinal cord injuries.

It does work very effectively for A-B people, having been tested on many occasions with myself and others.

It could prove interesting to see if this method could help people with spinal cord injuries to evacuate their bowels more effectively.

Please let myself and the group know if you decide to try this method.

Andrew

"Go With The Flow"
    Find us on Facebook using inclined bed therapy as a search term.
    sigpic

Comment

Andrew, you astound me with your lack of understanding of the subject matter you are trying to 'cure' with your 'theories'. How can you cure something that you have no idea what the symptoms are? To start, SCI takes away abdominal muscle function, of which a great deal of 'pushing' effect is accomplished during bowel movement. Additionally SCI drasticly reduces peristalsis (uh oh, big word Andrew, better get that biology book you got from the second hand store out). Dont hold your breath for another 'breakthough discovery' that you can credit to yourself, or is it hold your breath?

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew K Fletcher:

_BOWEL FUNCTION_

It does work very effectively for A-B people, having been tested on many occasions with myself and others.

Andrew

"Go With The Flow"
        It works for you ? Huh, I guess you're not full of sh*t afterall AKF! [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Andy, You also astound me with your inability to observe results posted by people who are actually trying this therapy and benefiting from it.

All I have done with this post is to ask if anyone would give the breathing exercise a try. It may help, or it may not work. It is very easy to test it.

Andrew
          sigpic

Comment

Andrew, subjective findings such as "I sweat more" (It is summer), "My hair is greasier" (Did you bathe lately?) "My nails are better" (Any dietary change?) "My neuropathic pain is worse" (Focusing on it again are we?) Do not in any way tell me that your ideas are curing SCI as claimed. I have yet to see anyone reporting jumping out of their chairs after trying your ideas. It didnt work with the ALS folks you tried to peddle your theories on, why would it work here? Do you yourself know that it works? Although maybe if we believe enough that it is helping it just might do something, eh? I have some trinkets I can mail out to some of your prospective participants that are guaranteed to cure SCI as well to help the 'cure' along. Actually, no, I wouldn't do that, I am not that cruel. This latest idea of yours strikes me as of the same ilk of your inclined bed, or did you just post this to resurrect another of your threads?

Comment

Originally posted by *Andy*:

To start, SCI takes away abdominal muscle function, of which a great deal of 'pushing' effect is accomplished during bowel movement.
              No comment on this from Andrew I see. Someone who's injury is mid-thoracic or higher, and is considered "complete" cannot perform the 'valsalve maneuver" which is what you are describing. No control of abdominal muscles = no ability to "bear down."

Maybe if they tried to take a crap while they were laying in their inclined bed it would work? [img]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Cjo,

To the point. Foster didn't "assume" anything. Re-read the post. He asked.

Andy,

Why can you not be civil or tactful? AKF politely asked everyone "If you do not agree with either my theory or approach to conducting this study, I respect your views and ask you to please ignore any posts on this thread and let us at least try to either prove or disprove my theory." Why does everyone continue to treat him in such a demeanial way?

For the sake of decency, please stop attacking AKF or anyone else who may present something new that you find unbelievable or ridiculous. Be objective and state your opinion. Why go any further to insult anyone? It is ignorant moreover, it is mean. No more 'polluting' any threads. Please. Be kind to one another.

"Failure is impossible"
                "Failure is impossible"

Comment

Originally posted by defiler:

Why can you not be civil or tactful? AKF politely asked everyone "If you do not agree with either my theory or approach to conducting this study, I respect your views and ask you to please ignore any posts on this thread and let us at least try to either prove or disprove my theory." Why does everyone continue to treat him in such a demeanial way?
                  Because this is a discussion forum, not a billboard on the side of the highway advertising things. Dissenting views will be expressed like it or not. And speaking of the pot calling the kettle black, I recall you calling me names because of my views, you should be the last person to self-appoint himself the board 'traffic cop'

Comment

I don't recall calling anyone any names. If I did I am sorry. You are right. This is a duscussion forum. Discussing usually doesn't include sardonic comments. Two or more adults conversing especially in an environment such as this, should talk to one another in a respectful way. To not do so would suggest either your above the other person or you're (nobody specific) just a hateful person. "Humor" seems to act as a bridge to insults here. It is not hard to see through. I am not a self-appointed traffic cop nor do I want to be. All of the unnecessary bashing and unneeded comments are sad. I mean that on an emotional level. I'm unclear of your situation Andy but if you have a SCI I would imagine you know what it's like to be treated in an uncaring fashion. I sure do. Even if only for that reason, why not be respectful to anyone unless treated otherwise?

"Failure is impossible"
                    "Failure is impossible"

Comment

Vicki

What I and a few friends and family experience with the exhaling and holding the breath when the lungs are emptied is a complete relaxation of the bowels allowing ease of empying the bowels. No Pushing involved. I'm not saying that this will work, but saying it might help people with spinal cord injuries to evacuate their bowels more effectively.

Andrew
                      sigpic

Comment

Vicki

Valsalva maneuver is not what is suggested here.
                        My post states that emptying the lungs gently and (without resisting any force such as pinching the nose and "Keeping the mouth shut" as you erroneously state.) and holding the breath for 8 seconds.

In another post, you said that pooling of blood in the lower limbs assists the return flow of blood to the heart? If there is blood pooling in the lower limbs, it would suggest that the return flow to the heart is not as it should be, would it not?

http://www.ahealthyme.com/topic/topic100587639
                        Definition

The Valsalva maneuver is performed by attempting to forcibly exhale while keeping the mouth and nose closed. It is used as a diagnostic tool to evaluate the condition of the heart and is sometimes done as a treatment to correct abnormal heart rhythms or relieve chest pain.

Purpose

The Valsalva maneuver is used with patients who have suspected heart abnormalities, often in conjunction with echocardiography. The maneuver is based on the fact that when a patient forcibly exhales against a closed nose and mouth while bearing down, as if having a bowel movement, specific changes occur in blood pressure and the rate and volume of blood returning to the heart.

Comparing the changes in a diseased heart to those expected in a normal heart gives clues to the type and location of heart damage. In addition, when a doctor listens to the chest with a stethoscope during the Valsalva maneuver, characteristic heart sounds are heard. Variations in these sounds can indicate the type of abnormality present in the heart.

The Valsalva maneuver also corrects some rapid heartbeats originating in the atria. When the maneuver is done correctly, blood pressure rises. This forces the heart to respond by correcting its rhythm and beating more slowly. On rare occasions, the Valsalva maneuver can be used to diminish chest pain in patients with mild coronary disease.

Unrelated to any evaluation of the heart, the Valsalva maneuver is also taught to patients with multiple sclerosis who are unable to fully empty the bladder (flaccid bladder). It is sometimes used in sexual therapy to help men avoid premature ejaculation.

Precautions

The Valsalva maneuver should not be performed on patients who have severe coronary artery disease, have experienced recent heart attack, or where there is a moderate to severe reduction in blood volume.

Description

When performed formally, the patient is asked to blow against an aneroid pressure measuring device (manometer) and maintain a pressure of 40 millimeters of mercury (mm Hg) for 30 seconds. Or, less formally, the patient may be asked to bear down, as if having a bowel movement. During this 30 second period, a recording is made of the changes in blood pressure and murmurs of the heart.

"Go With The Flow"
                        sigpic

Comment

Vicki

(without resisting any force such as pinching the nose and "Keeping the mouth shut" as you erroneously state.)
                          In another post, you said that pooling of blood in the lower limbs assists the return flow of blood to the heart? If there is blood pooling in the lower limbs, it would suggest that the return flow to the heart is not as it should be, would it not?
                          "Go With The Flow"
                          NOWHERE in my post did I say pinching the nose and keeping the mouth shut...that was in the link you provided.

Also, "In another post, you said that pooling of blood in the lower limbs assists the return flow of blood to the heart?"

WITH the use of sequential compression boots!

What I SAID was "In other words, the sequential compression device is more effecient in improving venous return if the patient is in the reverse Trendelenberg position. I would imagine this is because there is more venous pooling when the legs are in the dependent position thereby maximizing the volume of venous return to the heart with the compression device."

Yes if there is pooling then the venous return is not as it should be...many reasons/conditions for this. Some of them being inactivity and dependent positioning of legs and immobility. So, when person w/ SCI is laying in bed for a long period of time (INACTIVITY) and his body is in the reverses Trendelenberg position, or AKF style if you prefer (DEPENDENT POSITIONING) and their lower lims are paralyzed (IMMOBILITY) you have the perfect recipe for venous stasis/venous pooling, which contribute to the formation of edema, DVT and skin breakdown. So to combat this, DVT prophylaxis is provided: SCDs, PT, frequent repositioning, elevation of the lower extremities, low molecular weight heparin injections, anti-embolism stockings, etc.

But I'm sure you as a dutiful scientise have done enough "googling" to come across this research.

Comment

Fletch, please educate yourself on neurogenic bowel in the person w/ SCI before you delve into "Help Needed with Study into Proposed Reversal of Neurogenic Bowel in SCI."

More importantly, shouldn't your inclined bed theory cure this anyway. I mean, if it can cure SCI, wouldn't it be reasonable to say it would reverse all off the sequelae of SCI? Just a thought.

Comment

Comment

Vicki

What I and a few friends and family experience with the exhaling and holding the breath when the lungs are emptied is a complete relaxation of the bowels allowing ease of empying the bowels. No Pushing involved. I'm not saying that this will work, but saying it might help people with spinal cord injuries to evacuate their bowels more effectively.

Andrew
                                Again, I would hope that you would know what the symptoms are of the condition you are trying to cure. I guarantee you that our bowels are plenty relaxed. You know that you are posting on a SCI board, right?

Comment

Working...
                                X