Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just returned home from Dr. Lima's procedure!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't mean to hijack this topic. But. Does everyone sense the excitement? There will never be anything for an SCI'd individual that rivals functional return. It is the ultimate. There is no substitute.

Sorry, just had to interject that. [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~
    ~See you at the CareCure-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

Comment

Superstar,
      thanks for posting the updates...

Keep it up!

Russ Byrd

Comment

superstar & jv

This is wonderful knews. Please keep posting and congratulations!

Comment

I contacted Dr. Lima, he was very fast in his response, just 1 day. Her's what he said

"Dear Chris:

Thank you for your interest in our work.

However in this phase of the trial we just accept patients until 5 years of lesion.

Also the lesion by MRI should not exceed 4 cm on the vertical axis.

Best regards

Carlos Lima, MD"

The post injury requirement put's me out as it's 13 yrs for me. So it's up to you new guys to get us where we need to be.
          Here is the email I used: crlima@clix.pt
          Good luck

Comment

I have contacted Dr.Lima, he wrote back once and when I wrote for more info he hasnt returned an email. I am interested in this procedure but I dont I get screened to know if I qualify? Do I have to go there? Or is there a way to tell here?

Comment

Shorty- He will tell you what test you need to have done. You will have the test done there in Canada and then send them to Dr. Lima. I know they had about a two week vacation, so possbily that is why you haven't heard from him.

Comment

[img]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img]Hello there,

Dr. Lima's criteria
                "The patient should be less than 30 years old, highly motivated , with less than 5 years of lesion and more than 18 months.

Less than 3 cms of lesion by MRI, better if thoracic, ASIA A or B. No other soinal cord or brain injuries.

Gods speed,
                Susan [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Dr. Lima keeps relaxing his criteria...

It used to be 2-4 years post and up to 2 cm of lesion at the beginning of the year.

Comment

My friend Cody (T9) is haveing an MRI done today to see if his lesion will meet Dr. Limas criteria, he is highly motivated to have this procedure done. I have emailed many questions to Dr. Lima and he has been open and honest with me but wants to wait to see the size of the lesion before giving alot of specifics. my main question is if the procedure is done will it disqualify Cody and others from having anything else done. Improved bladder control would be wonderful. JV had do we get in contact with you, I have spoken with Susan and she has been very very helpful. Would like to speak with you. My email is judykerp@yahho.com Thanks

Comment

How are you feeling Superstar? Any pain or more recovery?

Comment

Judy, I tried to email you, but it keeps getting returned. My email is j113068j@hotmail.com.

Comment

Originally posted by judykerperien:

my main question is if the procedure is done will it disqualify Cody and others from having anything else done.
                          Judy, Dr. Lima's procedure should not prevent your friend from having other treatments although it may exclude him from participating in future trials.

See Dr. Young's comments here.

Comment

Sorry for not posting, however i was on a much needed break from this computer.. In anycase it seems Dr. Lima has decided to return home and i am sure you will get replies soon.. I am 21 days away from being 3 months out of surgery and i still feel that i have made the right decision in regards to my surgery. Bladder control is still better, and some other interesting things seem to be going on in my body, i will post them as soon as it is verified by tests. There does seem to be more pain and spasticity, though it could be a sign that signals are getting through to the desired location!! Getting ready to work out, i hope that everyone is having a good Labor Day weekend!
                            [img]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Sorry for not posting lately but things have been hectic in my life..
                              Bladder is still better and it seems like more sensation and some other interesting things are going on that i will wait to post until i am positive..(no false hope coming from this patient!) [img]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img]
                              Dr.Lima is going to meet with nerosurgeons from around the world, hopefully they will put there heads together and get us all seeing eye to eye before long!

Comment

Thanks Superstar!!

At least we have the Lima's, Huang's, and Barros' doing something to move SCI treatments forward.

Comment

Working...
                                X