Is sensation return possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    One thing I've really been thinking about is I have a friend who is T4 complete just like me, we play Tennis and I can tell he is definitely a T4, but he claims to have complete sensation throughout his body, sexual function and all. I don't really buy this, he was injured in the late 70's before MP was used. Anybody know if this is even possible? a complete motor t4 with perfect sensory nerves? I could see maybe patchy sensation especially if he was able to move something below his injury, but he sure looks like a T4 complete to me. He brags a lot about being able to feel and that all us other w/c tennis players cannot, this is what really bothers me. Are the sensory nerves in a entirely different section of the spinal cord that could have been completely spared? I always understood there was a thing called "auto-destruction" and if your cord was injured bad enough to make you a motor complete chances are it destroyed the sensory nerves. Any info on this would be appreciated as I really believe I'm right that no way in heck does this guy have full sensation throughout his body being a motor complete. I have seen him smash the raquet on his leg too during a serve (I've done the same and got a huge flash of A/D) and not even flinch, if he could feel he woulda been screaming out.
    Curt,
    I'm with you. He probably has some sensation and calls it complete. I'm a C5/6 quad with no movement below my level of injury, but I have sensation all over. However, it isn't normal, For example, I feel touch, but no temperature, and pain is reduced.
    Regardless, if you had 50% of normal, you'd probably call it normal because you no longer have normal to compare it to. I'll bet that if a "cure" came about and restored even 10%, we'd be pretty happy with that!

Comment

I've been wondering about sensory return with the epidural stimulator. The guys in that trial claim some bowel and bladder function returned but does that imply some sensory return as well? It seems like you'd have to have some sensation to have normal bowel and bladder function, wouldn't you?

Comment

I do remember some claimed sexual function returned after epidural stim use, it seems like though all the results are very foggy and unclear just like everything in SCI research.
        "Life is about how you
        respond to not only the
        challenges you're dealt but
        the challenges you seek...If
        you have no goals, no
        mountains to climb, your
        soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

Thanks Kh, I just don't believe that somebody can have a definite complete motor injury and perfectly normal sensation, makes no sense. If the spinal cord was damaged enough to cause a complete injury motor then at the most sensation would be patchy and affected in many different ways and not perfectly normal.
          Originally posted by khmorgan View Post
          Curt,
          I'm with you. He probably has some sensation and calls it complete. I'm a C5/6 quad with no movement below my level of injury, but I have sensation all over. However, it isn't normal, For example, I feel touch, but no temperature, and pain is reduced.
          Regardless, if you had 50% of normal, you'd probably call it normal because you no longer have normal to compare it to. I'll bet that if a "cure" came about and restored even 10%, we'd be pretty happy with that!
          Last edited by Curt Leatherbee; 04-05-2015, 05:00 PM.
          "Life is about how you
          respond to not only the
          challenges you're dealt but
          the challenges you seek...If
          you have no goals, no
          mountains to climb, your
          soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

I'm a c3 20 years post and past 2 years i have been getting sensation return slowly in my legs, butt, back and ribs. it's driving me nuts because now my butt and the back of my thighs throb when i sit for long periods. i feels so good feeling the soft fabric of my sweatpants on my legs and having someone rub my legs feels great. especially after having not felt that in 20 years. i feel like i've gotten some muscles back in my trunk area. i can't see anything move but i can feel the muscles contract and burn like crazy if i try moving them. but with that said i'm experiencing alot of pain as well.

Comment

I couldn't imagine, it's been almost 3 year for me and I can only feel my face. Honest truth is it's really getting to me sexually yes, no relief or plessure. I just want to feel others touch, the things around me I feel so disconnected from everything and everyone because I don't even really know it's there. It's driving me insane physically I only feel pain and spasms, only physical pleasure I get is sneezing. I don't know why it's catching up to me now, never really bothered me I just rubbed my face all the time i got stressed about it. It's not helping anymore.
              Last edited by JamesMcM; 04-09-2015, 10:46 AM.

Comment

I hear you. It is horrific.

Comment

sensation

I am T-9 complete. I have no feeling at all or movement below my injury. However, I noticed that when I rub along my spine at the lower back around the injury with a loofa brush, I get a tingling sensation down the back of my legs. Anyone else get this type of reaction below the injury point?

Comment

Originally posted by mwalshusa View Post
                    I am T-9 complete. I have no feeling at all or movement below my injury. However, I noticed that when I rub along my spine at the lower back around the injury with a loofa brush, I get a tingling sensation down the back of my legs. Anyone else get this type of reaction below the injury point?

I am incomplete L1 but have similiar sensations. When i rub my back I feel corresponding leg tingle, same with nipples.

Comment

i think promising things are in our future:

https://www.facebook.com/ChondroDogs...0/?pnref=story

Comment

Encouraging but fact is highly unlikely that dog was a chronic injury.

Comment

Sensory nerves need to be activated and stimulated to reorganized after axons sprout and lesions are regenerated, same as motor function. I don't know if it's possible sensory recovery in the stem cells Inc. paraplegic trial is encouraging though especially because they probably weren't using stem or full body vibration to stimulate sensory nerves which could enhance recovery potentially, with prolonged use. Sensation is just as important as motor function in my eyes, without a doubt. And it seems to get over looked.

Comment

A Neurologist told me after my older son's brain tumor removal (before younger son's SCI with TBI) that there is so much more that we do not know about the brain and its pathways that what we do. I believe this do this day as I now have experienced all of it. While Ryan's SCI is incomplete, his TBI is ???. Every day is a new evperience. The challenge is in finding doctors and therapists that are able and willing to push the limits.--eak
                            Elizabeth A. Kephart, PHR
                            mom/caregiver to Ryan-age 21
                            Incomplete C-2 with TBI since 3/09

Comment

StemCells, Inc. Announces Positive Top-Line Results of Its Thoracic Spinal Cord Injury Phase I/II Study

"Enrollment included seven AIS A and 5 AIS B patients. The study showed a favorable safety, feasibility and tolerability profile with no adverse events associated to the HuCNS-SC cells. Twelve months after transplantation of the HuCNS-SC cells, data showed gains in sensory function in three of the seven AIS A patients and four of the five AIS B patients. In addition, two patients progressed from the most severe classification, AIS A, to a lesser degree of injury grade, AIS B.

In follow-up to the thoracic study, the Company has initiated a Phase II trial designed to measure efficacy in cervical spinal cord injury. The Phase II trial, also called the Pathway study, is a controlled study and was initiated in late 2014."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/stemce...123000985.html

Comment

Originally posted by MikeB View Post
                                StemCells, Inc. Announces Positive Top-Line Results of Its Thoracic Spinal Cord Injury Phase I/II Study

"Enrollment included seven AIS A and 5 AIS B patients. The study showed a favorable safety, feasibility and tolerability profile with no adverse events associated to the HuCNS-SC cells. Twelve months after transplantation of the HuCNS-SC cells, data showed gains in sensory function in three of the seven AIS A patients and four of the five AIS B patients. In addition, two patients progressed from the most severe classification, AIS A, to a lesser degree of injury grade, AIS B.

In follow-up to the thoracic study, the Company has initiated a Phase II trial designed to measure efficacy in cervical spinal cord injury. The Phase II trial, also called the Pathway study, is a controlled study and was initiated in late 2014."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/stemce...123000985.html
                                Yeah, I really hope this is real. I think a lot of folks here want to see sensation gains to support sexual recovery. That would be nice, but I think the return of sensation is far more important to guard against accidental tissue damage. I have always had fair sensation, and never a bad ulcer. But, I have had friends who had more functional muscles than I do, but who died from complications of ulcers.

Comment

Working...
                                X