Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scientist receives $1.8M defense grant from Kessler Foundation for spinal cord injury

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by crabbyshark View Post
    Please provide evidence muscle tissue and bone tissue are "much simpler" than spinal cord tissue.
    Congratulations! You win at sinking me down to your level.

    "Nerve tissue is the most complex tissue in the body. It is the substance of the brain, spinal cord, and nerves. Nerve tissue requires more oxygen and nutrients than any other body tissue. The basic cell of the nerve tissue is the neuron (fig. 1-12). This highly specialized cell receives stimuli from, and conducts impulses to, all parts of the body."

    http://medical.tpub.com/14295/css/14295_16.htm


    "Regenerative medicine to date has made a number of advances in the field of simple tissues such as skin, bone, and cartilage." (pg.8)

    http://medicine.osu.edu/regenerative...2020vision.pdf



    Most importantly, as a system...

    The central nervous system (CNS) is the most complex system in the body, able to function both as a self-contained unit and the coordinating centre for activities of the peripheral nervous system (PNS), skeletal muscles and other organ systems.

    The CNS is composed of three principal structures: the brain, brainstem and spinal cord.

    https://www.inkling.com/read/underwoods-pathology-clinical-approach-cross-6th/chapter-26/central-nervous-system-normal

    Comment


    • #47
      "Yes, I understand. Also to be clear, not all sci orgs receive government grants or funds. For instance, the U2FP org mentioned earlier in hypothetical musings simply doesn't get any government money grants in which to distribute research funds. None, and never have. It's a non-profit that survives on private donations and volunteers. U2FP was however able to drive over a million donor dollars into sci chronic research projects and equipment. Donors can get assistance on their chronic project donations and also other foundations utilize the Scientific Advisory Board there to have potential projects reviewed for them. U2FP also holds the the signature Working 2 Walk annual symposium for the community to learn about research and advocacy and then the videos are posted of the presentations that were there. (There are other large sci orgs however that do get government funding to distribute grants but U2FP is not among them). There are other sci orgs that also operate on company donations and spend 100% of private donor funds for research. Some have grant calls for chronic as well as acute research. University based foundations are yet another story. One would think regeneration cure focus would entice more private donations and government grants but it doesn't especially seem to. A lot of it is probably a struggling economy."

      That is why U2FP is the best SCI organization out there for anyone who wants to see a chronic SCI cure. Eventually the SCI community will figure that out.

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by Nowhere Man View Post
        Congratulations! You win at sinking me down to your level.
        ...
        LOL! Remember mistakes are meant for learning, not repeating

        Paolo
        In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by Nowhere Man View Post
          Congratulations! You win at sinking me down to your level.

          "Nerve tissue is the most complex tissue in the body. It is the substance of the brain, spinal cord, and nerves. Nerve tissue requires more oxygen and nutrients than any other body tissue. The basic cell of the nerve tissue is the neuron (fig. 1-12). This highly specialized cell receives stimuli from, and conducts impulses to, all parts of the body."

          http://medical.tpub.com/14295/css/14295_16.htm


          "Regenerative medicine to date has made a number of advances in the field of simple tissues such as skin, bone, and cartilage." (pg.8)

          http://medicine.osu.edu/regenerative...2020vision.pdf



          Most importantly, as a system...

          The central nervous system (CNS) is the most complex system in the body, able to function both as a self-contained unit and the coordinating centre for activities of the peripheral nervous system (PNS), skeletal muscles and other organ systems.

          The CNS is composed of three principal structures: the brain, brainstem and spinal cord.

          https://www.inkling.com/read/underwoods-pathology-clinical-approach-cross-6th/chapter-26/central-nervous-system-normal
          A paragraph saying nerve tissue is the most complex tissue in the body is not evidence spinal cord tissue is the most complex tissue in the body.

          Where's your solid evidence bone tissue and muscle tissue are much simpler than spinal cord tissue?? What tissue is the bone made up of? What tissue is the spinal cord made up of? Dogma and assumptions do not constitute evidence.

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by void View Post
            Loads of scientist disagree, you got something more to back that up with than your personal opinions or should we just regard it as a figment of your imagination?
            Watch this video. Let me know what you think after you watch it.

            http://news.sciencemag.org/health/20...al-cord-injury


            Originally posted by void View Post
            Why do you use Wise as a source when you consider his opinions worth nothing quite often here?
            I used Dr. Wise as a source because that is the only person that I know for sure that this community listens to. If the community believes this then I don't see the point in spending 1.8 million in studying bone/muscle in SCI. It was irrelevant to our discussion anyways. I'm not saying Dr. Young is right or wrong here. There very well need to be bone regeneration from an outside source in order to reverse severe osteoporosis. There might not be the need.

            However, the study (what this thread was originally about) uses a standing frame + FES. Basically, it is just stimulating the muscles and putting stress on it. Guess what else can do that? Being able to move your legs voluntarily (after a cure). So I personally don't see the need for 1.8 million to go to test this, when a cure would be just as useful as recovering bone density & muscle mass. Especially when having strong bone/muscle are useless in a paralyzed limb! So again, a "cure" should be main focus. Don't put the cart ahead of the horse.

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by paolocipolla View Post
              LOL! Remember mistakes are meant for learning, not repeating

              Paolo
              LOL! Remember what Michal Schwartz told you, not Nowhere Man

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by crabbyshark View Post
                A paragraph saying nerve tissue is the most complex tissue in the body is not evidence spinal cord tissue is the most complex tissue in the body.

                Where's your solid evidence bone tissue and muscle tissue are much simpler than spinal cord tissue?? What tissue is the bone made up of? What tissue is the spinal cord made up of? Dogma and assumptions do not constitute evidence.
                "Most complex" is an opinion. You cannot have evidence for what is "most complex" or "much simpler". But, I have given you a source saying nervous tissue is the MOST complex (which would make bone & muscle simpler), nervous system being MOST complex, and bone being listed as simple tissue. If you don?t like my sources than it is now up to you to provide better sources that say that bone and muscle are more complex than the spinal cord. Otherwise, my opinion stands tall. So go ahead, show me I'm wrong.

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by Nowhere Man View Post
                  "Most complex" is an opinion. You cannot have evidence for what is "most complex" or "much simpler". But, I have given you a source saying nervous tissue is the MOST complex (which would make bone & muscle simpler), nervous system being MOST complex, and bone being listed as simple tissue. If you don?t like my sources than it is now up to you to provide better sources that say that bone and muscle are more complex than the spinal cord. Otherwise, my opinion stands tall. So go ahead, show me I'm wrong.
                  "Much simpler" is not an opinion. "Much simpler" is a fact. I want to demonstrate to the forum you have no idea what you are talking about. I want everyone to know your posts are ill informed and irresponsible. I'm hopeful the next time you go to post more baseless negativity, you will think twice. I won't count on it though.

                  You claim muscle tissue and bone tissue are much simpler than spinal cord tissue. This demonstrates you have a deep understanding of bone tissue, muscle tissue, and spinal cord tissue. Your sources do not explain. Were those three sources the first time you looked up muscle tissue, bone tissue, and spinal cord tissue? Explain to the forum how muscle tissue and bone tissue are much simpler than spinal cord tissue.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by Nowhere Man View Post
                    That is why U2FP is the best SCI organization out there for anyone who wants to see a chronic SCI cure. Eventually the SCI community will figure that out.
                    Which projects U2FP currently support are you most excited about? Why?

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by crabbyshark View Post
                      Which projects U2FP currently support are you most excited about? Why?
                      I am curious as well here
                      "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

                      "what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "


                      2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
                      Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by crabbyshark View Post
                        Which projects U2FP currently support are you most excited about? Why?
                        --they have their annual Working 2 Walk Conference. Where the spinal cord injury community can learn about real science and research. The videos are also free for the community. The one thing this community needs is to be educated. Scientists can also talk to each other.

                        --I believe they have helped fund Dr. Silver?s attempt at creating a peptide that could help dissolve chronic scar tissue. There is good reason to believe that chronic scar is an obstacle to regeneration.

                        --The biggest project that I support of theirs, is their work with Dr. Murray Blackmore. They gave him a $90,000 grant to buy a special microscope that will allow him to quickly test potential genes to see if they can regenerate axons. I am a big supporter of basic research and I think genetic manipulation might be a significant piece of a cure. This will help speed up the research.

                        --What SCI foundation/s do you support, which projects, and why?

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by crabbyshark View Post
                          "Much simpler" is not an opinion. "Much simpler" is a fact. I want to demonstrate to the forum you have no idea what you are talking about. I want everyone to know your posts are ill informed and irresponsible. I'm hopeful the next time you go to post more baseless negativity, you will think twice. I won't count on it though.

                          You claim muscle tissue and bone tissue are much simpler than spinal cord tissue. This demonstrates you have a deep understanding of bone tissue, muscle tissue, and spinal cord tissue. Your sources do not explain. Were those three sources the first time you looked up muscle tissue, bone tissue, and spinal cord tissue? Explain to the forum how muscle tissue and bone tissue are much simpler than spinal cord tissue.
                          Simple vs. Complex is subjective.

                          "The human nervous system, by far the most complex system in the body, is formed by a network of many billion nerve cells (neurons), all assisted by many more supporting cells called glial cells. Each neuron has hundreds of interconnections with other neurons, forming a very complex system for processing information and generating responses." That is why!

                          http://accessmedicine.mhmedical.com/...ionid=42524595



                          So can I assume you have nothing to counter my sources? I am not an expert on bone, muscle, or spinal cord. Nor do I need to be to post on an online forum. I am not writing a thesis paper. I have cited sources calling the nervous system & nervous tissue as the most complex in the human body. If you do not believe it, then please show me sources who disagree. Let's see it.
                          Last edited by Nowhere Man; 05-03-2014, 07:34 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by Nowhere Man View Post
                            --What SCI foundation/s do you support, which projects, and why?
                            Anything in humans. Because human trials are ultimately how you find out if stuff works in humans or not.

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              If simple vs. complex is subjective, then this is meaningless. Why highlight and underline it?:

                              Originally posted by Nowhere Man View Post
                              "The human nervous system, by far the most complex system in the body

                              With regards to what you currently know about spinal cord tissue, muscle tissue, and bone tissue, my sources are irrelevant. Your sources are dogma, common perception, and a couple of sentences from accessmedicine.mhmedical.com. Your sources stink. Your honest position is "I don't know."

                              Originally posted by Nowhere Man View Post
                              I am not an expert on bone, muscle, or spinal cord. Nor do I need to be to post on an online forum.
                              Including this in your signature would make your posts less damaging. As it stands now, your broad, far reaching statements loaded with hyperbole sometimes give the impression you know what you are talking about. Many times they are false. Propagating bad information makes the SCI community dumber.

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by Nowhere Man View Post
                                The time is not for clinical trials. Too soon.
                                I would like to know why you think you have the scientific background/experience/wisdom to make the above statement?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X