No announcement yet.

Paralysed patients regain voluntary movement with spinal stimulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aha! Here's the thread I need to read! Thanks Grammy for all that you do - you've held the researchers' feet to the fire, questioned EVERYTHING and brought us so much hope.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

I agree that Grammy is super knowlegable and a real worker towards trying to get some sort of organization amoungst the scientists.
      "Life is about how you
      respond to not only the
      challenges you're dealt but
      the challenges you seek...If
      you have no goals, no
      mountains to climb, your
      soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

Thank you dear friends for your kind comments. Hopefully we'll learn a whole lot more about all of this when Reggie comes to the Working 2 Walk Symposium in Seattle to give a presentation and answer more questions. I'll ask questions and take as many notes as possible in the breakout sessions as others will be doing also after the large videotaped session.
        http://spinalcordresearchandadvocacy.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by taymas View Post
          Hey Paolo,

I couldn't agree more - there seems to be a lot of focus on exoskeletons and making a neural bridge. I'd rather have the spinal cord heal - but it seems researchers are more interested in having a patent to their name, and just generally conducting lab tests on rats. Whilst I also agree that we have to start somewhere, I want to regain my bodily functions and heal as much as I can, rather than be in a clunky, noisy, stare inducing exoskeleton - whilst switching a stimulator on and off.

Hands-down I'm all for the Phase III UCB/Lithium trial. I'm not saying it's THE cure, but it's pretty damn close. I just can't wait for the Phase II data to be published, and Phase III to begin.

Regards
          I am not surpised you are so positive about the UCB trial considering the positive info that have been given about it here on CC.
          In the beginning I was an active supporter of the trial but as I digged into it I was very disappointed to find out that there are no animal studies that show significant recovery using UCB +Li.
          If you like to understand better why I have very low expectations about UCB you can read the china SCI net thread starting from June 2012.

A cure could happen soon if more money were spent on finding a cure for chronic SCI by honest and smart resarchers instead of on developping exoskeletons and other compensative approaces that at the end of the day will leave us paralized.

Paolo
          In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Comment

Heres a link to a study conducted on ASIA C, with Epidural Stimulation from 2002. Some positive results were observed. Interesting.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11926417

Spinal cord stimulation facilitates functional walking in a chronic, incomplete spinal cord injured.
            Herman R1, He J, D'Luzansky S, Willis W, Dilli S.
            Author information

Abstract
            DESIGN:
            This paper describes a treatment paradigm to facilitate functional gait in a quadriplegic, ASIA C spinal cord injured (SCI), wheelchair-dependent subject who presented with some large fiber sensation, sub-functional motor strength in all lower limb muscles, and moderate spasticity. The study utilizes partial weight bearing therapy (PWBT) followed by epidural spinal cord stimulation (ESCS) with the assumption that both treatments would be necessary to elicit a well organized, near effortless functional gait with a walker. Function is defined in terms of accomplishing task-specific activities in the home and community.
            OBJECTIVES:
            To demonstrate the feasibility and benefits of combined PWBT and ESCS therapies aimed at promoting functional gait in a wheelchair-dependent ASIA C SCI subject.
            SETTING:
            The Clinical Neurobiology and Bioengineering Research Laboratories at Good Samaritan Regional Medical Center, Phoenix, Arizona, USA, and the Department of Bioengineering, Arizona State University, Tempe, Arizona, USA.
            METHODS:
            The study began with the application of PWBT. The subject walked on the treadmill until a plateau in gait rhythm generation was reached. Subsequently, ESCS, applied to the lumbar enlargement, was utilized to facilitate PWBT and, later, over-ground walking for a standard distance of 15 m. Gait performance was analyzed by measuring average speed, stepping symmetry, sense of effort, physical work capacity, and whole body metabolic activity.
            RESULTS:
            PWBT led to improved stereotypic stepping patterns associated with markedly reduced spasticity, but was insufficient for over-ground walking in terms of safety, energy cost, and fatigue. ESCS with PWBT generated immediate improvement in the subject's gait rhythm when appropriate stimulation parameters were used. When compared to the non-stimulated condition, over-ground walking with ESCS across a 15 m distance was featured by a reduction in time and energy cost of walking, sense of effort, and a feeling of 'lightness' in the legs. After a few months of training, performance in speed, endurance, and metabolic responses gradually converged with/without ESCS at this short distance, suggesting a learned response to these conditions. However, at longer distances (eg, 50-250 m), performance with ESCS was considerably superior. The subject was able to perform multiple functional tasks within the home and community with ESCS.
            CONCLUSION:
            We propose that ESCS augments the use-dependent plasticity created by PWBT and may be a valuable adjunct to post-SCI treadmill training in ASIA C subjects. We also conclude that ESCS elicits greater activation of an oxidative motor unit pool, thereby reducing the subject's sense of effort and energetic cost of walking.

Comment

Originally posted by taymas View Post
              Hello everyone! (My first post)

A lot of news sites are buzzing (pun certainly intended) with an apparent "breakthrough" in SCI therapy, using electrical spinal cord stimulation. I know it's been done in the past, but this time with four patients. Here's a link to one of many news sites - some more detailed than others:

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/0...A3707J20140408

As promising as this is, it is unclear from the articles if the patients regained core functionality such as bladder, bowels and sexual function. Although they can voluntary move some muscle(s), (when the device is turned on) does the device also impact on sensation?

There's also a video on the BBC site, so check it out in action. Either way, it's still very new, and years away from being effective, as well as marketed. I've closely been following Mr Wise Young here since my motorcycle accident in April 2013. We are all thankful for his contribution in SCI research, and eagerly await Phase III. Hope we're still aiming for Q3 this year, and funding could be sorted by then?

Regards,
              TM
              I watched the BBC program "Trust me I'm a Doctor", and I believe some bladder function recovery was mentioned.
              2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
              Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Comment

Further to the earlier reply, the following may be helpful for English speaking members:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/arti...to-stand-again

Some of our great steps in understanding ourselves and the world about us have occured through thinking outside the box:

Copernicus, Isaac Newton, Frank Whittle, Robert Watson Watt; thought of as "nuts" at first.
                2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
                Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Comment

Originally posted by Imight View Post
                  like wtf why not test us, and just take us out of our misery
                  I do get what you're saying. I'm friends with many incompletes that I would love to see recovered ... but notice no respiratory dependents have commented? Why aren't they first in line? Let's not quibble about who's first .. let's just hope this works and gets some people up again.
                  Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

There most certainly a hierarchy of needs here. Breathing/Hands/Bowel-bladder/Sexual function/Walking.

(OK, I agree this order is highly arguable, but you can't argue about breathing being the prime consideration.)
                    And the truth shall set you free.

Comment

Working...
                    X