No announcement yet.

Dr. Young - Dr. McDonald

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you phebus. you are telling me to be quiet and be good little quad. researchers are moving too slow. maybe they think its fast enough but so does granny doing 35 mph in 70 mph zone. so as long as their is no cure, i will be behind granny(researchers) HONKING as loud as i can.

i posted 50 million therapies used before fda approved. btw, ask dr young if fda approval is needed for this type of transplant...go ahead.

Comment

I never have said 'be quiet'. I'm beginning to think you're delusional DA?

Again, what kind of pressure are you, and Billm putting to whom? and how? Legislative? Funding?

DA, if there is no audience then noone is listening. Without legislation or finance you have no clout. So besides screaming your dismay, anger, mistrust and frustration here and at me tell it to those who can make a difference in helping us.

You're wasting your energy because your efforts are misguided.

...and come to think of it I'm wasting mine on yours.

If you honk your horn on a road with no traffic does anyone hear you?

...you're on the wrong road DA, take a detour to the direct route.

Comment

I don't know if any of this has been posted yet, but Biomark in Atlanta ( a british company) is offering umbilical cord stem cel treatment for various conditions including strokes.

Comment

Thanks Faye.

The following is from Biomark's website:

3) Cord Blood Stem Cell Applications:
          BioMark conducts ongoing laboratory study regarding the regenerative capacity of stem cells derived from cord blood. Studies have proven these cells to be as versitile and frequently as powerful as embryonic stem cells.
          Targetted areas of research include: cancer/low immune function, neuro-degneration (MS, ALS, MD, stroke), auto-immune conditions, and diabetes/pancreatic disease.
          http://www.biomark-intl.com/

Comment

Faye, thanks for the Biomark info.

Seneca, thank you for the link.

Wish they were working on SCI, but they aren't. Shucks!!

Comment

phebus you can't win if you dont play. this is what you need to understand. your support for excuses gives the 'play hata's' comfort.

Comment

DA, why do you continue arguing with somebody who's been posting for only 2 years on this site? You should build on your own knowledge and experience and not on some rookies' opinion...

I also agree with you. Unfortunately, SCI research in itself will remain - for ever - the big disappointment in the history of medical science. Some use to mark it as a black hole of neuroscience.

I am going to change my screen name as 2005 is not realistic for me anymore.

Joe

Comment

push because we need everyone we can get. many many many times i have confronted newbies who already knows everything about sci. as a matter of fact, their is this one person i met a few years ago who was anti-cure because she thought a cure would help her. after about 3 months of emailing, she is very pro-cure. i oftend laugh when of all ppl call me negative. but that is ok, she is on our side and that all that matters.

Comment

Push 2005,

There never was any chance for a"cure" in 2005. "Never will" is also inaccurate. Change your moniker to end of this decade if don't want to be disappointed.

Comment

REGROWING SPINAL INSULATION

REGROWING SPINAL INSULATION
                      Cells rejuvenate damaged nerves.
                      BY JIM WILSON

Scientists at the Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis say they have produced cells that can repair nerve damage associated with spinal cord injury, stroke and multiple sclerosis. The cells, called oligodendrocytes, repair myelin, the fatty insulating material surrounding axons. Axons are the wispy structures that carry electrochemical signals through nerves. Much as a garden hose riddled with holes will lose its ability to carry water, an axon stripped of myelin will lose its ability to convey a signal.
                      "This is the first demonstration that oligodendrocytes derived from embryonic stem cells can remyelinate [damaged nerves] in the injured adult nervous system," says Dr. John McDonald, who is an assistant professor of neurology and neurological surgery. "That is relevant because conditions that result in myelin loss occur mainly in adults. Remyelinating otherwise intact axons might be a practical way of helping spinal cord patients improve functions such as bladder control or limb movement."

The experiments were performed on lab rats that received chemically induced spinal injuries. It will be years, perhaps as long as a decade, before any practical treatment is available for humans. On the positive side, oligodendrocytes can be produced in virtually unlimited quantities, says McDonald. See "Saving Shattered Spines: Chemical Culprit Prevents Spinal Nerves From Healing."

The higher up the spine an injury occurs, the more control the victim loses over his body.

http://popularmechanics.com/science/...al_insulation/
                      http://stores.ebay.com/MAKSYM-Variety-Store

Comment

Max,

This is great, but the "decade" thing SUCKS.

Comment

Working...
                        X