Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting article about questionable financial stewardship of Rick Hansen Foundatio

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Interesting article about questionable financial stewardship of Rick Hansen Foundatio

    http://www.thestarphoenix.com/news/r...132/story.html

    Although I support the widely held belief that more money is needed for SCI research, I strongly believe that a conversation is needed about WHERE the invested money goes. This article is a case in point.

    #2
    It's great to finally see this in print!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

    T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

    Comment


      #3
      What an inspiration! I bet his net worth is inspirational too.

      Comment


        #4
        Phony fella, imo. Out for himself more than the disabled.

        Originally posted by Patton57 View Post
        What an inspiration! I bet his net worth is inspirational too.
        Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
        Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

        Thanks!

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by rdf View Post
          Phony fella, imo. Out for himself more than the disabled.
          it's probably time for Rick Hansen to give up his spot at the SCI inspiration tit

          Comment


            #6
            It's actually worse than any of us thought. Holy crap.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Scaper1 View Post
              It's actually worse than any of us thought. Holy crap.
              but Rick's all good

              Comment


                #8
                Even the most die-hard supporters of Rick will have to ask some serious questions. The figures being touted eclipse the research dollars being raised anywhere in the world for spinal cord injury.

                Comment


                  #9
                  The $1.11m spent on the Planat application is just one example of how public money is criminally wasted by our orgs. It is the most basic software and could have been developed for less than $100k in the real software development world. Who has pocketed the rest?

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I wonder if it wasn't exactly a coincidence that this writer was already leaving the paper when this went to print? I don't blame him for the timing if that's the case, criticizing Rick Hansen not exactly the journalistic norm in Canada.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Scaper1 View Post
                      I wonder if it wasn't exactly a coincidence that this writer was already leaving the paper when this went to print? I don't blame him for the timing if that's the case, criticizing Rick Hansen not exactly the journalistic norm in Canada.
                      David Baines has been uncovering white collar crime and stock fraud in particular, for the past 23 years. He has an MBA from the University of Western Ontario and has won four National Newspaper Awards, a National Magazine Award and four Jack Webster Awards. Here's a list of his recent articles. I don't think he gave a second thought to exposing the Hansen situation. The Sun columnist has written 3,887 stories in the past 25 years, nearly all about people who tried to take unfair advantage of others.

                      http://www.vancouversun.com/business...#ixzz2X0cZkaRp

                      This is truly a beat where you can make a difference. In some cases, I have helped people recover money. In other cases, I have prevented them from losing money. In still other cases, I have prompted police or regulators to take action. In most cases, I have been able to make life more difficult for the perpetrator, thanks largely to the Internet.


                      Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/business...#ixzz2X0eMk8ee
                      http://www.vancouversun.com/columnis...id_Baines.html

                      http://ceo.ca/white-collar-crime-rep...vancouver-sun/
                      Last edited by GRAMMY; 23 Jun 2013, 12:14 AM.
                      http://spinalcordresearchandadvocacy.wordpress.com/

                      Comment


                        #12
                        I read the article with great saddness.
                        Even though many of us knew that there was waste, I don't think any of us imagined the extent of it.
                        I wish that I could feel content that our position was vindicated; that we weren't just angry cripples who were pissed off at Rick Hansen because we were paralysed.
                        We spent a lot of time asking for transperancy on cure funding, and I guess when they couldn't do that alarm bells did sound in many of our heads. We took the high road and didn't attack him personally, we kept our eyes on the ball about chronic cure spending and regeneration, and even then, we were castigated by many. We were told that we would hurt RHF's ability to raise donations and now ironically, it is RHF by their own hand which will kill off donations and make us suffer through less research dollars for all organisations as stories like this hurt everyone.
                        I'm saddened not only by the waste of money, but also because this kind of scandal kills hope, and now it will be our job to rekindle hope. To demand a change of leadership. To demand money be spent on measurable outcomes, not just "raising awareness". To demand more transperancy and community involvement.
                        I hope that those who read this article don't come away cynical but rather become involved in demanding change from all organisations that raise funds in our name.
                        I will have more shortly.
                        Dennis Tesolat
                        www.StemCellsandAtomBombs.blogspot.com

                        "Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom."
                        Martin Luther King

                        Comment


                          #13
                          The barriers for regeneration after traumatic spinal cord injury are clearly described for even decades. They divided chronic / subacute / acute injurys also for DECADES!! So they know what they have to do or at least where the problem is!But everyone is cooking there own soup and its not a surprise that when you treat so many topics as a researcher that you will find some good news.FOCUS on the initial problems! They are crying that they need other models than rodents for DECADES. Did we see results of pigs or primates or sheeps??A whole bunch of &%$ they gave us. They have to stay on the topic! For chronic research for example I always hear this damn scar. I think the researchers are happy that the scar exists because they always can say in there massiv breakthroughs that it works in every model but you know the problem with the scar....we only see a few publications where the topic is the glial scar and then they move to another kind of thing. For me its starting to get silly and I definetly wont waste my money anymore to those labs/institutions/organisations for this.For nothing!
                          Last edited by KK11; 23 Jun 2013, 3:30 AM.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by StemCells&AtomBombs View Post
                            I read the article with great saddness.
                            Even though many of us knew that there was waste, I don't think any of us imagined the extent of it.
                            I wish that I could feel content that our position was vindicated; that we weren't just angry cripples who were pissed off at Rick Hansen because we were paralysed.
                            We spent a lot of time asking for transperancy on cure funding, and I guess when they couldn't do that alarm bells did sound in many of our heads. We took the high road and didn't attack him personally, we kept our eyes on the ball about chronic cure spending and regeneration, and even then, we were castigated by many. We were told that we would hurt RHF's ability to raise donations and now ironically, it is RHF by their own hand which will kill off donations and make us suffer through less research dollars for all organisations as stories like this hurt everyone.
                            I'm saddened not only by the waste of money, but also because this kind of scandal kills hope, and now it will be our job to rekindle hope. To demand a change of leadership. To demand money be spent on measurable outcomes, not just "raising awareness". To demand more transperancy and community involvement.
                            I hope that those who read this article don't come away cynical but rather become involved in demanding change from all organisations that raise funds in our name.
                            I will have more shortly.
                            I think the way out of this situation could be to do a similar investigation for all the main SCI orgs so that hopefully the good ones will also emerge.
                            This way people may just redirect their donations rather than just quit donating.

                            Paolo
                            In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by paolocipolla View Post
                              I think the way out of this situation could be to do a similar investigation for all the main SCI orgs so that hopefully the good ones will also emerge.
                              This way people may just redirect their donations rather than just quit donating.

                              Paolo

                              Agree paolo.


                              Good working Mr. Tesolat
                              "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

                              "what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "


                              2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
                              Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X