Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Money or knowledge?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Money or knowledge?

    Hey guys

    I want to start kind of a fundamental debate.What do you think we need the most for finding a cure nower days. Is the knowledge allready there for a cure and the money too less to finance it? Or are the funds enough to get along with this process nowerdays but the knowledge is far away from a breakthrough?

    Go ahead please ..........


    KK11

    #2
    Both.

    We need to spend the available money more wisely.

    We need to incentivise more researchers to conduct chronic studies.

    We need to streamline the drug discovery process in line with the current economic markets.

    Comment


      #3
      I think very few scientists/doctors out there actually believe a major breakthrough is on the horizon (within 5 years). SCIs are still an infinite problem (no one really knows how soon it will be until a legitmate advancement is made). A breakthrough that makes this more of a finite problem (solvable within 5 years) will bring the money and the desire to advance the knowledge.

      Throwing money blindly at this will not necessarily produce good science that leads to a breakthrough. We need a lot of smart money (that demands results) invested in this research.
      Last edited by Patton57; 21 Apr 2013, 7:58 AM.

      Comment


        #4
        Money buys people's time and the more time researchers spend looking for the answer, the quicker one will be found.

        Personally, I like to see research grants given to universities for this type of research. Students work cheap, i.e. they even pay (tuition) to work on problems. Also, they have fewer preconceived biases. Finally, the work they do in college research often shapes their lifelong careers.

        Of course, a lot of people just want to publish a paper. They aren't too concerned with actually achieving the end result. These people are valuable, but we need people like Dr. Young who wants a solution now, not someday.

        Regardless, the more money. the more research, the more results, the quicker a cure will come.

        Comment


          #5
          Personally, I think the problem is "profit'. Not just profit for the drug companies and hospitals, but profit (i.e., salary, benefits, stature) for the individual researcher.

          "Global Warming" is a good example (maybe a little off the subject, but bear with me). These days, the "experts" who decide what research gets funded and what scientific papers get published subscribe to the theory that the earth's temperature is rising and its a result of human activity. Any researcher who doesn't start with that premise has an almost impossible task of getting funding.

          The same thing is happening in SCI and other neuro-musclar research. There are preconceived ideas as to where the research should be headed. any researcher who isn't on those band wagons doesn't get funded. Add to that the drug companies are not looking for cures as much as they're looking for the next big money maker, and the think box gets very small.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by khmorgan View Post
            Personally, I like to see research grants given to universities for this type of research. Students work cheap, i.e. they even pay (tuition) to work on problems. Also, they have fewer preconceived biases. Finally, the work they do in college research often shapes their lifelong careers.
            This is a great idea.......never thought about that!

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by willingtocope View Post
              Personally, I think the problem is "profit'. Not just profit for the drug companies and hospitals, but profit (i.e., salary, benefits, stature) for the individual researcher.

              "Global Warming" is a good example (maybe a little off the subject, but bear with me). These days, the "experts" who decide what research gets funded and what scientific papers get published subscribe to the theory that the earth's temperature is rising and its a result of human activity. Any researcher who doesn't start with that premise has an almost impossible task of getting funding.

              The same thing is happening in SCI and other neuro-musclar research. There are preconceived ideas as to where the research should be headed. any researcher who isn't on those band wagons doesn't get funded. Add to that the drug companies are not looking for cures as much as they're looking for the next big money maker, and the think box gets very small.
              Profit is of course a factor but do you dont think that they are getting way too unsatisfied when they have such good pre clinical results and dont get it to work in humans? Do you really think they set the personal profit on top??

              Comment


                #8
                Most of the basic research in the field is conducted in academic institutions already. Most of the grunt work done in these labs is done by students on very modest salaries.

                If the grant awarding bodies change their priorities to chronic spinal cord injury, you will see more research into regenerating the chronic spinal cord coming out of academia.

                It's the translation that is the challenge. Chronic animals. GMP/GTP materials. Pre-clinical studies. Regulatory dialogue prior to an application. That is the most expensive part of the chain prior to clinical trials.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Don't you guys think that recent study done on humans with success of recovering bladder &b owel enough of a breakthrough ? Isn't recovering motor function and sensation enough of a breakthrough ? What more do we need ? Total recovery ? Wouldn't that be considered a cure ? Personally I think there's a multum of therapies that if combined with correct cell therapy would result in great effects. we need more trials to eliminate cell types that don't produce good results on humans. IMO of course funding comes along with this because without money nothing will be accomplished. It would be awesome if our community fund asked its members what we'd like to spend its money on.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Cure for what? SCI? TBI? MS? CP?

                    More effort and energy is still needed about changing attitudes about persons with disabilities, employment, access to medical care, housing, and fair wages and benefits for PCA's, to mention a few.

                    The "disabled" are such a varied and amorphous population with diverse needs. I'm not even sure what a "cure" would be.

                    Of course money is the still the best way is western society to obtain knowledge and some degree of enlightenment about disabilities.

                    Even so, we've come a long way in a short period of time.

                    Chris
                    [C4-5 since 1969]

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by wesmaister View Post
                      Don't you guys think that recent study done on humans with success of recovering bladder &b owel enough of a breakthrough ? Isn't recovering motor function and sensation enough of a breakthrough ? What more do we need ? Total recovery ? Wouldn't that be considered a cure ? Personally I think there's a multum of therapies that if combined with correct cell therapy would result in great effects. we need more trials to eliminate cell types that don't produce good results on humans. IMO of course funding comes along with this because without money nothing will be accomplished. It would be awesome if our community fund asked its members what we'd like to spend its money on.
                      I dont know whats your priority number 1 to regain but mine is absolutly movement. Many SCI people say that its bladder / bowel / sexual functions they wanna have back at first but I have to say that I can live without those......I want to walk again. For me this is the most important thing. Your whole health is getting better and better when you can walk or move again. And you prevent many other diseases like Diabetis , blood circulation dysfunctions etc. etc...... For someone who is sitting decades in a wheelchair I undestand it if he or she says my number 1 is bladder or bowel......Perhaps they gave up hope that they will walk again. As i said , my wish number 1 is movement/ walking

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by chris-k View Post
                        Cure for what? SCI? TBI? MS? CP?

                        More effort and energy is still needed about changing attitudes about persons with disabilities, employment, access to medical care, housing, and fair wages and benefits for PCA's, to mention a few.

                        The "disabled" are such a varied and amorphous population with diverse needs. I'm not even sure what a "cure" would be.

                        Of course money is the still the best way is western society to obtain knowledge and some degree of enlightenment about disabilities.

                        Even so, we've come a long way in a short period of time.

                        Chris
                        [C4-5 since 1969]
                        To the old guard

                        would you not think that being close to or reaching the physical or mental or both normalitiys as defined as to what majority of the human population can achive within reason as being a cure?

                        I would - and employment we are not efficient enough as cripples to compete with our physical counter parts not even in accounting.

                        therefore the answer is my friend is cure nothing less
                        so with that reasoniong all for CURE not CARE

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by CAS View Post
                          To the old guard

                          I would - and employment we are not efficient enough as cripples to compete with our physical counter parts not even in accounting.
                          I respectfully disagree and firmly believe most have the ability to compete in the job market. Dang we might even hire a few TABs (temporarily able bodied)

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by c473s View Post
                            I respectfully disagree and firmly believe most have the ability to compete in the job market. Dang we might even hire a few TABs (temporarily able bodied)
                            Well your welcome to come to Australia the land of crap and ill even give a degree etc (mine).

                            and at the end a month if you don't want to kill yourself in dispair ill do what you want for a week.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by KK11 View Post
                              I dont know whats your priority number 1 to regain but mine is absolutly movement. Many SCI people say that its bladder / bowel / sexual functions they wanna have back at first but I have to say that I can live without those......I want to walk again. For me this is the most important thing. Your whole health is getting better and better when you can walk or move again. And you prevent many other diseases like Diabetis , blood circulation dysfunctions etc. etc...... For someone who is sitting decades in a wheelchair I undestand it if he or she says my number 1 is bladder or bowel......Perhaps they gave up hope that they will walk again. As i said , my wish number 1 is movement/ walking
                              Um....bladder/bowel are internal organs. Hate to tell you but extremities are never going to work all that well without internal organs working.

                              Also the reason most people with SCI would trade places in an instant with an amputee. Two legs blown off? Don't care, I'll trade. Easy call.

                              But to each their own I guess.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X