Rick Hansen Foundation grants $20 million to spinal-cord research centre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's good news, we need a lot of much money to cure spinal cord injury.

The Canadian Press Apr 12, 2013 06:04:29 PM ck Hansen Foundation grants $20 million to spinal-cord research centre

The Canadian Press Apr 12, 2013 06:04:29 PM

VANCOUVER – Rick Hansen’s foundation has announced a $20-million grant to accelerate research into spinal-cord injuries aimed at a paralysis-free world.

The money will be handed out over 10 years to the Vancouver-based Blusson Spinal Cord Centre, starting this month.

The centre was opened in 2008 and gathers researchers, medical professionals, physiotherapists and patients in one place.

read...

http://www.680news.com/2013/04/12/ri...cord-research-

Comment

Wonder if all Dennis's work is finally paying off
      Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Comment

Sounds good
        We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
        Ronald Reagan

Comment

Don't hold your breath!

Comment

All in BC. Interesting. Robarts Research in London, Ontario is doing fantastic things ... when I was there touring their lab, they said they don't receive funding from RHF as 'they're all about quality of life now.' How sad.
            Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Originally posted by lynnifer View Post
              All in BC. Interesting. Robarts Research in London, Ontario is doing fantastic things ... when I was there touring their lab, they said they don't receive funding from RHF as 'they're all about quality of life now.' How sad.
              Quality of life is probably very profitable whereas a cure probably not so much.

Comment

Is the link not working for anyone else?

Comment

It's hard to hate on $20 million.
                  And the truth shall set you free.

Comment

Originally posted by Scaper1 View Post
                    Is the link not working for anyone else?
                    Not working anymore for me either. Try this one: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/ric...088/story.html

The $20,000,000 is over a ten year period of time, so let's not get too excited.
                    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

$20m can be pissed up a wall in no time when it comes to the overheads of a big shiny building filled with employees doing dick all.

Comment

Originally posted by lynnifer View Post
                        Not working anymore for me either. Try this one: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/ric...088/story.html

The $20,000,000 is over a ten year period of time, so let's not get too excited.
                        Thanks J. To be even more of a Debbie Downer, their definition of "clinical trials" has never involved chronics or repair, just studies of minimizing post-injury damage and more often bs types of projects like studying crutch walking.

Originally posted by Fly_Pelican_Fly View Post
                        $20m can be pissed up a wall in no time when it comes to the overheads of a big shiny building filled with employees doing dick all.
                        Ah, I take it you've visited? Lol. Whenever I need to find parking near Vancouver General Hospital, we cut over to the Blusson building (aka ICORD). It's like a wasteland.

Comment

Originally posted by Fly_Pelican_Fly View Post
                          This is absolutely correct.
                          Now we have to make sure that this is not just something that looks good, but is actually good for all of us.

I'm talking with some others at the moment to figure out exactly how to make sure that the money is used for cure and not 'pissed up a wall'.

I'm not a cynic, but I want to make sure that the money is put to good use, AND includes us chronics.
                          Dennis Tesolat
                          www.StemCellsandAtomBombs.blogspot.com

"Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom."
                          Martin Luther King

Comment

Originally posted by StemCells&AtomBombs View Post
                            This is absolutely correct.
                            Now we have to make sure that this is not just something that looks good, but is actually good for all of us.

I'm talking with some others at the moment to figure out exactly how to make sure that the money is used for cure and not 'pissed up a wall'.

I'm not a cynic, but I want to make sure that the money is put to good use, AND includes us chronics.

Are you a donor or fundraiser for this organization or otherwise significantly involved? If not, why should you have any say in how the money is spent?
                            2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
                            Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Comment

No mention of chronic SCI at all in this video:

http://globalnews.ca/video/477736/spinal-cord-research

Paolo
                              In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Comment

Working...
                              X