Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Human trials offer hope those with paralysis will walk again

Human trials offer hope those with paralysis will walk again

BOSTON —A device developed by a Cambridge company could one day help those faced with paralysis to walk again.

It's hard to believe that 19 years ago an accident left Frank Reynolds paralyzed.
    Luckily, it was temporary.

Today his company, Cambridge-based InVivo Therapeutics, has developed a device to give others with severe spinal cord injuries a chance to leave their wheelchairs behind.

"Say you had a four-lane highway, a major accident. All lanes are blocked. That's what happens with a spinal cord injury. They might not be able to move, they may not be able to feel. But they haven't gone through the 21-day scarring process. So we want to get in and open up some of those lanes and allow the spinal cord to reorganize itself," said Reynolds.

In doing so, some of the spinal tissue regenerates. It's done with a device called scaffolding, which is inserted directly into the spinal cord.

"Then, the tissue that hasn't scarred yet has something to hold on to. It's literally like holding on to a life preserver to cells out there that are about to get washed away," he said.

The scaffolding has shown excellent results in injured monkeys. A video shows a monkey dragging his leg at the beginning of the study. Five weeks after treatment, he is fully recovered.

Now, the FDA has approved the scaffolding for human trials.

"Our human central nervous system is much more advanced than monkeys. But it's 99 percent similar. We think humans will recover faster," said Reynolds.

Depending on the extent of the injury, one of four scaffolds will be inserted in the spinal cord. It takes all of a minute.

Walking away from a wheelchair is the ultimate goal. But Reynolds said regaining any function can change a person's quality of life dramatically.

"If we can get someone to move a finger, a toe, anything that would help them control the environment would be helpful."

All 44 monkeys involved in the trial are fully recovered from paralysis.

The human trials will begin in a matter of months.

Five patients will participate in the first trial, some of them at Mass General Hospital.

click link for video

Read more: http://www.wcvb.com/health/Human-tri...#ixzz2QGQXnX9G
    C-5, 6 SCI. Took about 6 months to walk. Walking full time. Without any assistance since Nov. 2003 and will make a full recovery

Interesting.

Comment

Good news! Can't wait for them to say 44 humans have fully recovered!!

Comment

IMO the title to this is so miss leading.

Comment

I´ve read those headlines in my young 1,5 years SCI career about 50 times......And when you read it its everytime the same. Chronics are busted So who f&%$§" cares about us? Us who they are talking to and giving hope to at all those great meetings and stuff like that?! Im slowly loosing my cool about this all. They have to care about us and this isnt happening. Im sorry for all of those who are getting injured in the future but if we can help chronics then we can help acutes.

THE BIG DEAL IS IT TO GET SOMEONE OUT OF THE WHEELCHAIR AND NOT TO SAVE THEM FROM IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When you guys are with me then support me!!
          Last edited by KK11; 13 Apr 2013, 3:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KK11 View Post
            I´ve read those headlines in my young 1,5 years SCI career about 50 times......And when you read it its everytime the same. Chronics are busted So who f&%$§" cares about us? Us who they are talking to and giving hope to at all those great meetings and stuff like that?! Im slowly loosing my cool about this all. They have to care about us and this isnt happening. Im sorry for all of those who are getting injured in the future but if we can help chronics then we can help acutes.

THE BIG DEAL IS IT TO GET SOMEONE OUT OF THE WHEELCHAIR AND NOT TO SAVE THEM FROM IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When you guys are with me then support me!!
            The big problem is that researchers and SCI orgs, which are driven by researchers, still focus mainly on saving people from w/c rather than getting people out of w/c as it is still cosidered too ambitious at this stage.

I have proposed few actions in the past to change that, but didn't have much success.
            What do you propose?

Paolo
            In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Comment

Originally posted by Barrington314mx View Post
              IMO the title to this is so miss leading.
              So is Miss Transgender USA...

Comment

The trouble is regardless of which country it is, those that have been in the chair for more than two years from their injury have been unable to do much in physical activity’s and careers.

So if a chronic is cured say after twenty years and has done nothing or been able to do anything will be seen as drain on Government resources in regards to unemployable, they are also more than likely take longer to regain function, so therefore I can to a point understand why they focus cures on acute.

and no i am not happy with that

Comment

Hi have sent emails to try and find out criteria for the trial and of course no response any suggestions?

Comment

With this approval, InVivo intends to commence a first-in-man clinical study in the next few months that will test safety and performance of its biopolymer scaffold in five acute patients. The Company expects the study to occur over approximately 15 months. Over the next month or so, they plan to finalize the details of the study, and expect to have all data to the FDA by the end of 2014.

They probably don't have all the details lined up yet for the 5 acute patients they plan to recruit.
                    http://spinalcordresearchandadvocacy.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by emmy View Post
                      Hi have sent emails to try and find out criteria for the trial and of course no response any suggestions?
                      The people that will be in this trial are not even hurt yet. If you already have a spinal cord injury, this trial is not for you. Sorry to say.

Comment

Originally posted by paolocipolla View Post
                        The big problem is that researchers and SCI orgs, which are driven by researchers, still focus mainly on saving people from w/c rather than getting people out of w/c as it is still cosidered too ambitious at this stage.

I have proposed few actions in the past to change that, but didn't have much success.
                        What do you propose?

Paolo
                        Im in contact with Wings for life. Well ´´in contact´´ is excessive but at least Im annoying them with questions only about chronics. They say that they do care about chronics and when you look at the history of this organisation , then you will see that they only started this project because of an accident of the son of one founder. So he is chronic and they sure want that he benefits also of this research.

Paolo , I dont really know what we can do but Im looking very gentle where I fund my money to. Im just getting pissed of that you only hear about acutes but infact they would save a lot more money in a shorter timeframe (costs for care and care aids) when there are getting US out of the wheelchair. And as I said above , for me the big deal is to get someone out of the wheelchair then saving someone from it. But dont get me wrong,it would be awesome when you also can save people from a wheelchair.......So im not ´´against´´ this whole research. What makes me made is the fact that for example at those meetings like W2W or something else , they are dealing with users of wheelchairs but infact they have none of success for chronic interventions and have the focus on acutes.

Then they should simply stop saying that there is a great hope and there gonna be good things for SCI´s in a few years......Im loosing my optimistic thinking about that all when you go a little bit deeper in this topic......

KK11

Comment

21 days of scarring process? too bad for me, i've been on my wchair for 6 years

Comment

Im in contact with Wings for life. Well ´´in contact´´ is excessive but at least Im annoying them with questions only about chronics. They say that they do care about chronics and when you look at the history of this organisation , then you will see that they only started this project because of an accident of the son of one founder. So he is chronic and they sure want that he benefits also of this research.

Paolo , I dont really know what we can do but Im looking very gentle where I fund my money to. Im just getting pissed of that you only hear about acutes but infact they would save a lot more money in a shorter timeframe (costs for care and care aids) when there are getting US out of the wheelchair. And as I said above , for me the big deal is to get someone out of the wheelchair then saving someone from it. But dont get me wrong,it would be awesome when you also can save people from a wheelchair.......So im not ´´against´´ this whole research. What makes me made is the fact that for example at those meetings like W2W or something else , they are dealing with users of wheelchairs but infact they have none of success for chronic interventions and have the focus on acutes.

Then they should simply stop saying that there is a great hope and there gonna be good things for SCI´s in a few years......Im loosing my optimistic thinking about that all when you go a little bit deeper in this topic......

KK11
                            I know them, will you attend WFL upcoming scientific meeting?
                            I can't make it, but if you do we should talk before you go.
                            It's a close meeting, but if you ask they may let you in.

It's always good to say you are considering to make a big donation to open doors

Paolo
                            In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Comment

What makes me mad is the fact that for example at those meetings like W2W or something else , they are dealing with users of wheelchairs but infact they have none of success for chronic interventions and have the focus on acutes. Then they should simply stop saying that there is a great hope and there gonna be good things for SCI´s in a few years.

KK11
                              A fact? Really KK11? I think you haven't bothered to watch a single one of the Working 2 Walk video presentations. The speakers at the symposium are all working and focusing on the chronic injury and giving their opinions on what they can do and are hoping to accomplish.
                              http://spinalcordresearchandadvocacy.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X